Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Yet another fly away .. Spark long gone, after new firmware!
5895 84 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

_zine Posted at 2017-12-30 15:36
Hi Kloo

Thank you for the detailed response.

"
I do understand what you were saying, but when the spark was RTH point, it should have descended irrespective of the wind direction and wind speed (even if it was being blown away), though none of the log error messages stated strong winds when it was in RTH mode?"

I am afraid NOT. This is a script not AI. The spark need to reach HOMEPOINT and than starts to descend. If it will battle the wind it will not descend first .
Its in order :
-turn in the direction of HP
-Fly to the spot
-Descent
2018-1-9
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5384 ft
Ireland

Bright Spark Posted at 2017-12-31 01:29
I have a question perhaps.I believe  that in sports mode vps is inactive. When RTH is invoked, I imagine vps is reactivated. Therfore any fog or issues might result in a rth climb?
Ive found from my  experiments that putting your hand under  it at 3 ft alt or so results in a climb. And the altitude reading is all over the place. Just a thought, but coming out of sport mode, esp by invoking RTH might need caution.

Not sure about this now as Susan just stated that "The downward sensor will not be disabled" in sport mode, only forward facing sensors.
It would be nice if the next software release allowed VPS to be disabled via the app. Would then eliminate all the guessing about whether that has something to do with it. Surely this can't be too difficult to code in?
In fairness in this case I can't see why any attachments he had would have impacted on downward sensor, but their defense also mentions wind as a factor. Sport mode would give the Spark a bit more battling power against strong wind whereas RTH will not fight wind as strongly.

The more I read the more it seems to me that the natural, immediate response to hit RTH when a problem is encountered usually makes the problem worse. RTH, it seems is only designed to work in ideal conditions - Good GPS, low wind, clear sensors for VPS etc -   Hitting RTH, for anything other than a low battery (or it activating itself due to loss of signal to RC)   might not be a good first  reaction to a problem. Its not intelligent enough to figure out the problem that is being encountered and correct for it. And often the RTH option is just going to cause it elevate anyway because its rising to its RTH preassigned height - if its a wind situation, that won't help matters. If its a faulty elavation reading for some reason then it will just keep rising until the faulty sensor reading tells it it has reached the RTH height.
It seems that perhaps flipping into Sport Mode and taking as much control as you can yourself to bring it back might be a more prudent choice.  
2018-1-9
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Rth will fight wind just as effectively as sport mode. What you don't see  is the spark canted into wind because of gimbal. 30 mph is available to both.
2018-1-9
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15712 ft

South Africa

Bright Spark Posted at 2018-1-9 03:30
Rth will fight wind just as effectively as sport mode. What you don't see  is the spark canted into wind because of gimbal. 30 mph is available to both.

Could the gimble hood possibly mess with the aerodynamics and act as a sail?
Might not be a massive difference, but could possibly reduce max speed and efficiency against strong wind?
2018-1-9
Use props
_zine
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49521 ft
Australia

Thanks to everyone for the response.

If the gimbal guard had moved, it would have fully detached, &/or blocked the camera. This wasn't the case, as per images.
I appreciate that DJI don't want to accept responsibility and they would have an influx of claims due to poor software/hardware.

When I RTH, I was looking to land the drone so I could go home!  Once I lost connection, I tried everything to land the drone, but it decided to fly up and away???  :-(

2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules