Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Store Individual Photos on Camera SD Card for Timelapse
1645 4 2017-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

I went out shooting today and tried some timelapse photos on my Osmo+.
At home, I was amazed to find that after shooting for 10 minutes at a time, all the Osmo+ did, was make a movie out of the individual shots, but the individual photos were not saved... anywhere! But the movies are saved twice, thereby eating valuable space on the phone.

Why on earth are the individual high resolution photos not saved on the Osmo+'s SD card so that we can process them later and make a better timelapse? Why don't we at least get a choice over how the end result should be delivered (individual photos, or a movie)?

Right now, I have a 10 second moving timelapse clip, created automatically by the Osmo+. This clip is a heavily compressed MP4 file, with an error in the last photo... the camera started pointing left, and with each photo, panned right a little. At the very end of the timelapse, the camera centered itself, and took the last photo! Now, that falty last image is baked into the timelapse movie and the only way to get rid of it, is to edit the heavily compressed MP4 file, delete the last frame, and render it out again... as a compressed MP4! If I could have saved the individual images on the camera's SD card, when I compiled the timelapse from the individual high quality images, I could have thrown away that last "random" image, and then made a high resolution/high quality timelapse.

Please fix this!

2017-12-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. Can you find the orginal video in the SD card if you record one? Please note that timelapse is a mode of Photography. That's why the resolution is not as high as video. The max image size of osmo+ is 4000 x 3000 pixels.
osmo  timelapse.JPG
2017-12-30
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-30 02:49
Hi, sir. Can you find the orginal video in the SD card if you record one? Please note that timelapse a mode of Photography. That's why the resolution is not as high as video. The max image size of osmo+ is 4000 x 3000 pixels.

Yes, I can find the original timelapse *movie* on the SD card.

The point of my message, above, was that when shooting timelapse, why doesn't the Osmo+ save the original still images to the camera's SD card?

Your statement that "Timelapse is a mode of photography. That's why the resolution is not as high as video" makes no sense.
The maximum resolution for a still image is MUCH higher than the maximum resolution for a timelapse video!

Still image resolution: 4000x3000 (12,000,000 pixels).
Timelapse video resolution: 1280x720 (921,600 pixels)

That is why having the individual, high resolution, still images saved to the camera's SD card is important. It means we can produce a high resolution timelapse from full quality RAW images in an application like Adobe AfterEffects, instead of a 1280x720 low resolution video with all the Osmo video compression.

At least give us the option of doing this!
2017-12-30
Use props
Floating_Glass
lvl.4
Flight distance : 447841 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Jyunte, I have the Osmo whiich, until the last firmware update I installed, my timelapse recorded both individual photos and the video onto the SD card.

I've just looked under Settings->Camera and there is an option there for Timelapse Format - Options are Video / Picture + Video.

I think the firmware update changed this setting to Video, it must have been Picture + Video previously.

See if you have the same option in the DJI Go software, hopefully it should be the same for Osmo+.

I'm going to charge my battery now and check if my timelapse works as it used to.

Good luck and best wishes.
Tommy
2017-12-30
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

Floating_Glass Posted at 2017-12-30 15:05
Hi Jyunte, I have the Osmo whiich, until the last firmware update I installed, my timelapse recorded both individual photos and the video onto the SD card.

I've just looked under Settings->Camera and there is an option there for Timelapse Format - Options are Video / Picture + Video.

Tommy,

Excellent!  I just checked, and you are exactly right, that setting does store a maximum resolution JPG along with the video (in a separate folder, inside the SD card's TIMELAPSE folder. Awesome!  Thank you for pointing that out.  It would be better if it saved RAW files, but JPG is a step in the right direction! :-)
2017-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules