New Mavic; have questions
811 12 2017-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mz-in-norcal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1005049 ft
United States

Hi. I just got my new Mavic Pro. And I have a lot of quesitons. I am actually disappointed at the lack of video and material that I can use to educate myself. Maybe I am missing something. The videos found here: https://www.dji.com/support/product/mavic#show-video don't get into a lot of detail.

My first question is this: I did a quick easy flight with it, with the settings left on the Beginner mode. I had the Mavic take off and hover. I moved it about 5 yards and hit the RTH button on the app. After approving, the Mavic just descended, and then asked if it should continue to land. I said yes. It landed. I took off again, hovered, took it out 10 yards. Hit RTH. The Mavic descended directly down from where it was hovering, and landed (after the approvals). I tried again, this time going out 20 yards. It again tried to land directlly down from where it was hoveering. This time I panicked since it was going to land on a bush. I fought the RTH and brought it back over hte driveway where it landed. So, tell me, surely RTH is supposed to bring it back to the takeoff spot and not land where it's over, so what am I doing wrong? I thought in all of these attempts I gave it enough time to record its "home" spot. What am I missing?

I'll wait on my other questions, since this one is most important.
2017-12-29
Use props
ghost_ATX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1277703 ft
United States

Before flying, definitely read the manual. It has 4 pages devoted to how RTH works. There is a certain distance you need to be from your RC and your home point has to be set correctly or it won't work.

If you check out these forum threads, you will see it emphasized over and over and over and over by experienced pilots - sometimes abreviated as "RTFM". SO MANY issues that new pilots have with fly-ways, crashes, wonky RTH, jankety controls, RC not connecting, app not working right, losing connection due to incorrect antenna position, camera settings not functioning the way they should, horizon tilted, etc. can be solved by simply reading the manual first and following its instructions. This isn't a toy - its a very, very complex machine.

Also, YouTube has literally thousands of tutorial videos posted by Mavic pilots that cover anything you could possibly want to know. But definitely read the manual.

Firmware and manual downloads are at the DJI website under Mavic/Downloads, and you can download the current manual here;
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic%20Pro%20User%20Manual%20V2.0.pdf
2017-12-29
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 115213 ft
United States

GPS can have a few meter off, and obstacle avoidance is disabled.
2017-12-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you taking off from the same spot the drone landed in after Rth?  After takeoff are you waiting to hear the home point has been updated before proceeding forward? If you’re not more than a certain amount of meters away from home point the Mavic will land instead of returning.
2017-12-29
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

I'll use the abbreviation...RTFM!!
2017-12-29
Use props
mz-in-norcal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1005049 ft
United States

THANK YOU @ghost_ATX!  I hadn't found the manual before. I was surprised to find tiny little guides in the box, and nothing that said, "Go here to see the manual".  I went to the website and saw the few videos. On YouTube, most of top hits were reviews and people showing off their flights.

I will definitely read the manual cover to cover. I actually was trying to learn as much as I could before the Mavic arrived.As a kid, half the fun of getting a new RC plane or anything, was to read and research it in anticipation of the day I'd actually get it.

@Woe: I took off from a spot on the driveway clear of cars and bushes etc.  I wanted to land within that area to avoid the stuff surrounding the driveway.  I waited until i got the home registration message, and when I was about to take off, I selected the "more accurate home location" option. In all cases I flew up to about 10-20 feet and then away between 2meters and 20meters.  In none of these cases did the Mavic even attempt to come back.  It merely descended to about 3 feet (1M) off the ground and asked if it should continue to land.  In the case that scared me, it was about to land on some bushes on the edges of the driveway.

I'm sure the manual will help explain it.
2017-12-29
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

its a setting to within the app can set RTH to either return to home (where ever it takes off is home) or to just land

deff play around in the app and find all the various settings
2017-12-30
Use props
ghost_ATX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1277703 ft
United States

"On YouTube, most of top hits were reviews and people showing off their flights."

When searching YouTube, don't just search with the keyword "Mavic" - add "tutorial" and/or the specific thing you are looking for in your search - "RTH", "Camera Settings", "IMU", "Warranty", etc. Don't hesitate to be ultra-specific. There are literally thousands of Mavic-related videos and tons of channels devoted specifically to the Mavic, so you have to narrow it down or you'll be swamped with irrelevant info.

2017-12-30
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

No what it is if u are within 20 meters (could be more not sure it is in manual) tge drone will land right where it is. Basically u are to close to homepoint for it to turn around and journey back to homepoint...go out 1000 feet i bet u will get diff results
2017-12-30
Use props
cstephens10
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170545 ft
United States

I know it can seem scary in the moment it's happening but you shouldn't be too worried about it landing in any bushes. the Mavic pro has sensors on the bottom of it that obviously sense below it. This happened to me the first time I flew mine. I believe it should just hover in place until you take action.
2017-12-30
Use props
desert
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1040945 ft
United States

cstephens10 Posted at 2017-12-30 17:01
I know it can seem scary in the moment it's happening but you shouldn't be too worried about it landing in any bushes. the Mavic pro has sensors on the bottom of it that obviously sense below it. This happened to me the first time I flew mine. I believe it should just hover in place until you take action.

haven't been on in a long time...can't get this forum to let me start a thread...but I have a question...Can you fly a Mavic Pro with a P4P or an Inspire pro or Inspire 2 radio ?
2017-12-30
Use props
cstephens10
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170545 ft
United States

desert Posted at 2017-12-30 17:05
haven't been on in a long time...can't get this forum to let me start a thread...but I have a question...Can you fly a Mavic Pro with a P4P or an Inspire pro or Inspire 2 radio ?

sorry but I don't have the answer to that question. I've never even looked into the inspire drone or the p4p
2017-12-30
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

desert Posted at 2017-12-30 17:05
haven't been on in a long time...can't get this forum to let me start a thread...but I have a question...Can you fly a Mavic Pro with a P4P or an Inspire pro or Inspire 2 radio ?

no you need the mavic remote to fly the mavic. unless you lost or broke yours. then on the side of the mavic under the flap where the Sd card is flip that to WiFi then you can just use your phone to fly
2017-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules