HELP NEEDED: Calibration Error
943 5 2017-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
uru26
lvl.1
Uruguay

Hello,

I just bought a DJI Mavic Pro for Christmas for my children and still not able to do my first flight with them. I receive a calibration error due to strong magnetic interference (compass 1 is ok, but compass 2 is always in the 400 - 600 range). I followed many recommendations from this forum, but with no luck. Below is what I have already did:

1.- Updated firmware using DJI GO 4 successfully
2.- Updated firmware using DJI assistant 2 (used latest version of DJI assistant, from mavic support web page) - succesfully
3.- Tried to restore factory settings but failed

Is there anything else I can do before returning the drone? I am in the middle of my holidays in Uruguay and would be a real setback to go through all the hassle + will miss many videos/ pictures we intended to obtain with the drone.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Alberto
2017-12-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Make sure you aren't trying to take off from a location where there's steel or other ferrous metal nearby that can interfere with the compass. Most commonly this happens because people don't realize that concrete often contains embedded steel rebar. Also, am I correct in assuming that you did already try calibrating the compass at least once using DJI's instructions for doing so?

If neither of those issues applies to your problem then you probably need to open a case with DJI and will most likely wind up needing to get a replacement.
2017-12-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14103563 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Silly question on my part perhaps but I trust you are not attempting to calibrate the compass indoors and that you have the arms of the drone unfolded when you are attempting? You may also want to calibrate the IMU indoors on a level surface before you attempt another compass calibration outdoors.
2017-12-30
Use props
uru26
lvl.1
Uruguay

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-30 05:40
Make sure you aren't trying to take off from a location where there's steel or other ferrous metal nearby that can interfere with the compass. Most commonly this happens because people don't realize that concrete often contains embedded steel rebar. Also, am I correct in assuming that you did already try calibrating the compass at least once using DJI's instructions for doing so?

If neither of those issues applies to your problem then you probably need to open a case with DJI and will most likely wind up needing to get a replacement.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help. I tried to calibrate the compass outdoor in multiple locations, even in the middle of the beach, to make sure there were no magnetic interference. Additionally, Compass 1 is always in excellent state (green light) and Compass 2  in poor condiiton (red light).

Do you think there is anything I could do in terms of software or the best thing is just return the drone?

Cheers!

Alberto
2017-12-31
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

uru26 Posted at 2017-12-31 04:54
Hello,

Thank you very much for your help. I tried to calibrate the compass outdoor in multiple locations, even in the middle of the beach, to make sure there were no magnetic interference. Additionally, Compass 1 is always in excellent state (green light) and Compass 2  in poor condiiton (red light).

Do you think there is anything I could do in terms of software or the best thing is just return the drone?

No, that isn't likely to be something you can fix; if one of the compasses always shows poor / red, then I'd open a case with DJI and request a warranty replacement.
2017-12-31
Use props
uru26
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-31 05:19

No, that isn't likely to be something you can fix; if one of the compasses always shows poor / red, then I'd open a case with DJI and request a warranty replacement.

Hello,

Just wanted to give you a quick update.

I returned my DJI mavic and bought a new one. It took me 5' out of the box to be flying in normal conditions.

Takeaway: If you drone has a calibration error for magnetic interference, it is 99.9% likely your drone has a hardware issue and you need to send it back to DJI and get a new one. Do not waste your time driving to isolated places and doing updates of the updates of the firmware.

Cheers,

Alberto
2018-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules