10615 27 2017-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tortoiseshell T
First Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was dismayed today to realize that my new DJI Spark doesn't support RAW. Frankly, I never checked to see if this was a feature beforehand, since I automatically assumed it was a feature, since most cameras these days have the capability. This includes similarly priced devices that DJI makes, such as the Osmo. There is no good reason for it not to be included in the Spark, and every reason to include it. I'm sure it could easily be added in a software update.
2017-12-30
Use props
nucmanchh
lvl.4
United States

I wish it was RAW also. I suspect it's the idea of the Spark being a person's 'first drone' and they'll move up to RAW capability and a few other perks - after they've caught 'drone fever'  
2017-12-30
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

nucmanchh Posted at 2017-12-30 18:45
I wish it was RAW also. I suspect it's the idea of the Spark being a person's 'first drone' and they'll move up to RAW capability and a few other perks - after they've caught 'drone fever'

Yes, but that doesn't entirely make sense, since the appeal to me (and I'm sure many others) is the size and portability aspect of the Spark. Yes, it is my introduction to drones, but even if I upgrade some day the Spark will still have a place in my kit since it's so much easier to carry around! Limiting its photographic capabilities to sell larger craft seems like a missed opportunity. This artificial reduction of functionality makes me wonder how much more the Spark is actually capable of - 4k video? better battery life? I love DJI's products, don't get me wrong, but this really stinks of Canon's sneaky tactics (I put up with them too, for the same reason as I put up with DJI). I just wish companies would stop hobbling their own products!
2017-12-30
Use props
_pk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

This issue has been discussed here dozens times. The DJI answer is that they have no plans to add raw support in Spark. Personally I suspect that this is purely a marketing decision to differentiate more Spark and Mavic.
I would also like to have a raw support but we will not see it anytime soon.
2017-12-31
Use props
Anuvis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

If they launch a spark 2 with dng , eventually they will enable dng in spark one....Yes i know....It is called marketing...
2017-12-31
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Well, it seems that if we want RAW shooting in the Spark we have to keep asking for it - the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
2017-12-31
Use props
Logaen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19193 ft
Italy

Illuminations Posted at 2017-12-31 12:54
Well, it seems that if we want RAW shooting in the Spark we have to keep asking for it - the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Please give to us RAW files
2018-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

I don't think this will happen any time soon.
2018-2-13
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-13 12:40
I don't think this will happen any time soon. [view_image]

Agreed, Sad but true
2018-2-13
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531014 ft
Canada

Does anyone know of a hack to shoot in DNG?
2018-2-13
Use props
nathan8h
New
United States

Yes, but it's not a pleasant hack.

(sarcasm)Sell the Spark and buy a Mavic Air....(/sarcasm)
Sorry, couldnt resist.

Hopefully, DJI will release the RAW feature on the Spark now, since it won't cut into the sales of the Air.... since the Air is a way better deal these days.
2018-2-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi All! Thank you for the suggestion. We have forwarded this to the relevant department.
Thank you for the support.
2018-2-19
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-2-19 17:09
Hi All! Thank you for the suggestion. We have forwarded this to the relevant department.
Thank you for the support.

Thanks!
2018-2-19
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Canada

Im pretty sure 90% of owners of the spark wish that it could take RAW photos.
2018-2-19
Use props
MarkySparky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31076 ft
Australia

I would have to agree!
2018-2-20
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-2-19 18:27
Im pretty sure 90% of owners of the spark wish that it could take RAW photos.

Quick question from a person that isn't real knowledgeable about photography.

Yes, I know the Spark and other DJI drones are airborne photo platforms.  However, I use it for personal photos,  not for professional use.  Is there something I'm missing out on by not having RAW or DNG?

What is RAW and what is DNG?

Thanks

Sid

2018-2-20
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Canada

sidtx Posted at 2018-2-20 09:23
Quick question from a person that isn't real knowledgeable about photography.

Yes, I know the Spark and other DJI drones are airborne photo platforms.  However, I use it for personal photos,  not for professional use.  Is there something I'm missing out on by not having RAW or DNG?

Im not a professional user either but its nice to have RAW. From my understanding, when you shoot RAW, you get much more detail in the photo but the actual images looks bad. So then you take your RAW photo and edit it in Lightroom or whichever editing software and while editing you dont lose as much detail as you would when editing JPG photos.  and this obviously takes up a little more space. But guys correct me if what I said was wrong. Thank you
2018-2-20
Use props
TiMSs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29577 ft
United Kingdom

A raw or DNG file is uncompressed where as a JPEG is a compressed file, with RAW you get much more flexibility in the post processing changing white balance rescuing highlights etc...
2018-2-20
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

The main difference in the RAW file and JPG is the RAW file contains all the data collected by the camera sensor.  This includes more data about color, contrast and exposure.  RAW has nothing to do with focus or sharpness of the photo.  Out of focus is out of focus.

The JPG file is the compressed version of the RAW taking into account how DJI feels the picture should be processed for color, contrast exposure (dynamic range).  Some cameras actually give you flexibility on how the camera compresses and processes the RAW file.  DJI Spark does not.  So you are kind of stuck with how they feel a RAW should be processed.

When you have a RAW file and the shot is kind of dark, has strong shadows or the color is off, you can pull some of that  data from those shadows or color and make the photo more presentable.  This is because all that data remains in the RAW file while the compression of a JPG removes that data forever.  What is even more important, as your processing skills get better (using software like Lightroom) or the software features improve, you can reprocess those RAW files and get an even better picture as your skills or software improves.

Think of the RAW as a negative.  As long as you have the negative you can always reprint/reprocess for a picture just like the day you took it.
2018-2-20
Use props
fansa677400f
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hi I bought the Spark for portability and travel. DNG / RAW support for photos is my main issue. If I take a photo with a bright sky or over the dark ocean it is hard to get the exposure right and something like a boat may look clipped. I can do local adjustments in Lightroom but with JPG I won't get enough detail on clipped highlights.

I wish DJI would implement this with a firmware update.
2018-3-6
Use props
Anuvis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

I also want raw!!!
2018-3-6
Use props
MarkySparky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31076 ft
Australia

Yes RAW support would appreciated here too please DJI
2018-3-8
Use props
chrbau
lvl.1
Russia

RAW please.
2019-7-10
Use props
Johnny C!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44839 ft
United States

We want RAW! We want RAW! We want RAW! We want RAW! We want RAW! We want RAW! We want RAW!  
2019-7-10
Use props
Kamarinchev
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1175 ft

Bulgaria

Dear DJI - please add RAW on Spark
2019-7-16
Use props
LipeSerena BR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4467789 ft
Brazil

This is July 2019, and support from the DJI forum did not give feedback on this request.

Please kindly launch a new firmware for Spark with new features and support for RAW files. Please, folks.

Thanks
2019-7-17
Use props
daffy13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2340295 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Is there any upcoming firmware update that it will support RAW (DNG)?
2019-7-18
Use props
GetHigh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163619 ft
United States

You might all look up the post titled " RAW Upgrade " it is a poll about this exact issue. Perhaps, with enough votes, they will take action?
2019-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules