My quadcopter is wobbling like crazy
3296 23 2015-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
administrator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 824094 ft
Netherlands

Ok word before i ask:I do not have a phantom 2. i have a different quadcopter that is basicly a phantom 2 copy. I have a naza v2 inside with g-3d gimbal and its basicly the same weight as a phantom 2 so thats why i ask here.

The problem is that my quadcopter is wobbling like crazy. not just a little bit but it seems between motor 2 and 4.
Before i had a naza v2 inside i had a MiniX from xaircraft and while that didnt work either, it kept the aircraft quite stable. rock stable i would say.

Can you guys give me some gain recommendations? i have it currently set to default...
2015-4-20
Use props
administrator
lvl.2
Netherlands

here are 2 videos.
propellors are balanced by the way.

2015-4-20
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Ok, I'm trying to wrap my brain around someting you wrote that sounds completely contradictory:
"I had a MiniX from xaircraft and while that didnt work either, it kept the aircraft quite stable" -- say what?!?!

How can it keep it stable and not work at the same time?!?  Maybe I can visualize what is going on if you had about twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one was...

Or a video?

2015-4-20
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

The first video says "This video is currently being processed".  

The second one is viewable.  And sheesh, it looks like a mild case of ground resonance.  Are you sure nothing is loose or have you tried a different set of props?
2015-4-20
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l could see the second video but not the first. l can't help you with your problem, sorry, but l wouldn't classify that as a wobble so much as a heavy vibration. lt seems stable and not wobbly, just shaking. Anyway, maybe if you could find a drone-builders' forum they'd be able to help diagnose by video. There are a few on (and off) Facebook. Good luck! Maybe someone else on here will be way more helpful than l. We do have a few builders here.
2015-4-20
Use props
administrator
lvl.2
Netherlands

Sorry, what i meant is that miniX had problems of its own. yawing slowly at a random time to a random direction, and can "fly away" at high vibrations, wich are not hard to get. also its OSD is a timebomb. it can die at any second of the day. already broke 3 OSD modules of miniX.
Thats the biggest reason why i switched to naza v2.
But miniX kept the aircraft stable like a rock.
The naza v2 just, as you can see, wobbles like a maniac.
Now i know the song "wiggle wiggle wiggle" is a hit on the radio's but i dont expect phantom's to try to dance on that music.
2015-4-20
Use props
administrator
lvl.2
Netherlands

i already put some videos please see post 2.
2015-4-20
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Ok, the first video is now up (maybe you could have edited out the first 68 seconds where nothing was happening)

A couple of questions/observations.  Have you absolutely verified the IMU orientation and mounting are good and the IMU calibration is all within limits?  

Your gimbal looks like it is mounted well ahead of the center of gravity.  Does the wobble happen even with the gimbal removed?
wobble.jpg
2015-4-20
Use props
joonyberry
lvl.2

United Kingdom

administrator@g Posted at 2015-4-21 01:45
here are 2 videos.
propellors are balanced by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57fnBGJLp1o

Hi, this is a bit of a stab in the dark but remove all props and rotate motor shafts by hand and see if any are running out of true when you rotate the motor shafts.
2015-4-20
Use props
administrator
lvl.2
Netherlands

i did the IMU calibrations. both the standard and the advanced.
the orientation is good. both arrow are pointed exactly to the nose of the aircraft. the GPS puck is not that high but there is copper tape on the inside that shields it from interference. but i dont think the gps puck with interference is the problem here.
I did mount the OSD on top of the naza v2 flight computer with some double sided tape. i dont think that can do much harm?
There is not much room inside there.
2015-4-20
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

My 02c; thats not "wobble"' that's vibration.....  In fact, I'd say the camera itself is doing an awesome job of staying stable in such a crappy situation!

My guess is something is seriously out of balance. Way beyond the props being a little out.  The poor thing is trying to vibrate itself into component form.

I don't know if it's feasible, but I think I'd try and do what we used to call 'corner weights' on race cars - Set all four 'corners' on a little scale and get the sucker balanced. You want all four weighing about the same. I'd bet something is *way* off.

Good luck, cheers,
Ian
2015-4-20
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Oh boy I am glad I bought the V+, that thing looks horrendous.
The only comment I can make from watching the video is the vibration does not start until you are in the air, so that points me to the landing legs magnifying a small imbalance in the props. You can see the legs wobbling like crazy.
2015-4-20
Use props
administrator
lvl.2
Netherlands

joonyberry Posted at 2015-4-21 02:22
Hi, this is a bit of a stab in the dark but remove all props and rotate motor shafts by hand and s ...

how does one do this?
2015-4-20
Use props
administrator
lvl.2
Netherlands

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-21 02:37
Oh boy I am glad I bought the V+, that thing looks horrendous.
The only comment I can make from w ...

thanks for the compliment xDi dont think its weight placement. What happens when there is more weight at one part then another is that one motors simply have to work harder.
i dont think a bit more weight(maybe 2-30 grams) at one corner makes it so bad...
2015-4-20
Use props
joonyberry
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi again, there are several methods to check this. possibly the easiest is to look down at the shaft as in birds eye view while turning the motor by hand if there is any deviation seen at the center of each shaft this will cause your vibration, it may be worth checking the mounts on the motors to see if all are tight and secure.
A more accurate method would be to use a stand alone fixed pointer placed as close as possible to the shaft, then slowly turn the motor by hand and see if there is a variation of gap between the pointer and shaft when turning the shaft, any visible variation in gap as its turning will cause vibration and will be transmitted into the airframe causing your vibration.

2015-4-20
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-4-21 02:20
Ok, the first video is now up (maybe you could have edited out the first 68 seconds where nothing wa ...

This is either not a DJI or it is heavily modified.  Looks like the (not stock) legs are like tuning forks shaking with the tune of the motors.  Also the gimbel is "hanging" and not solid to the body again causing the tuning fork effect.  This is not DJI issue it but a physics issue.  Needs to be re-engineered.

Good luck.
2015-4-20
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

How soft are those dampeners on the gimbal? They may be too soft. I can cause a similar wobble on my P2 with the really soft dampeners on.
As far as gains go, just start changing them by 5% at a time and see how it flies. The pitch and roll are going to be the ones you will have to adjust to fix the wobble. My guess is they will need lowered from default.
2015-4-20
Use props
administrator
lvl.2
Netherlands

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-21 04:07
This is either not a DJI or it is heavily modified.  Looks like the (not stock) legs are like tuni ...

youre right. the only thing DJI is the naza v2.
The gimbal is indeed not in the center but placed forwards. This however posed no problems using a MiniX or the original FC Devo-M.
The naza v2 suddenly makes it shake like this.
2015-4-20
Use props
buddhabelly
lvl.2

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-21 04:07
This is either not a DJI or it is heavily modified.  Looks like the (not stock) legs are like tuni ...

Ah, little cricket, you are looking but not seeing.  Seems you skimmed right past the first part of this thread where he said "I do not have a phantom 2. I have a different quadcopter that is basicly a phantom 2 copy"
2015-4-20
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Well, my experience is limited to DJI stuff so I am wandering outside my area of relative expertise and into the "didja try this?" mode of making a SWAG (Silly Wild Ass Guess)
2015-4-20
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

buddhabelly@tam Posted at 2015-4-21 04:58
Ah, little cricket, you are looking but not seeing.  Seems you skimmed right past the first part o ...

Wait Buddhabelly, where did you get a statue of me?  The body is true to life but I have a lot more hair on my head.  
2015-4-20
Use props
administrator
lvl.2
Netherlands

i have fixed the issue. it was the gains. needed to be put down even more. now it flies quite well.
thanks for all the help guys.
2015-4-21
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

administrator@g Posted at 2015-4-21 16:32
i have fixed the issue. it was the gains. needed to be put down even more. now it flies quite well.

I'm curious, what did you end up having to set them at to stop the wobble?
2015-4-21
Use props
administrator
lvl.2
Netherlands

i have it now set to 68 68 80 80, 150, 150. i think 75 also works. default was 125, but 100 did not do any difference.
2015-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules