DJI Phantom 4 Pro GPS Failure, Fell out of sky.
6199 28 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoshKetcham
lvl.1

United States

I was using my Phantom 4 Pro which is the best drone I’ve used. For some Reason sattelites cut out or some GPS error happened but all of a sudden it poppped up saying Aircraft disconnected and it fell from about 50m up. I never had any connection issues prior to this so I’m baffled.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?? Waiting for a response from DJI email support.
2017-12-31
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

You need to sync you flight log and upload here http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ if you want to know what happened.
From your description it sounds like the battery fell out or failed.
2017-12-31
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Ouch, sorry to hear that, if you want people on here to have a look to the possible cause you can upload you flight log for examination. Here’s how http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-12-31
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Did you upgrade to the latest firmware? Someone else posted an issue of their P4P dropping out of the sky after upgrading.
2017-12-31
Use props
JoshKetcham
lvl.1

United States

PaulSouthport Posted at 2017-12-31 16:30
You need to sync you flight log and upload here http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ if you want to know what happened.
From your description it sounds like the battery fell out or failed.

Battery was at full charge and secured before flight
2017-12-31
Use props
JoshKetcham
lvl.1

United States

gyrex Posted at 2017-12-31 16:33
Did you upgrade to the latest firmware? Someone else posted an issue of their P4P dropping out of the sky after upgrading.

I did do the update yesterday to the latest firmware
2017-12-31
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JoshKetcham Posted at 2017-12-31 16:40
I did do the update yesterday to the latest firmware

Yeh, so you're at least the second person to have their P4P lose signal, convert into a rock and fall out of the sky after the firmware update.
2017-12-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For some Reason sattelites cut out or some GPS error happened but all of a sudden it poppped up saying Aircraft disconnected and it fell from about 50m up
You can lose GPS and lose connection  but your Phantom doesn't fall from the sky.
Without data, all anyone can do is guess the cause of your incident and most guesses will be wrong.
2017-12-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

gyrex Posted at 2017-12-31 16:43
Yeh, so you're at least the second person to have their P4P lose signal, convert into a rock and fall out of the sky after the firmware update.

Firmware is the least likely cause.
There's no point guessing without seeing data.
2017-12-31
Use props
JoshKetcham
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-31 16:48

I’m not near a computer at the moment but I will upload data as soon as I am by one
2017-12-31
Use props
Drones Point of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 607336 ft
United Kingdom

I took my brand new P4P out for the first time yesterday the 30th December. The go 4 app was asking for an update when I connected the new battery for sync. I did the update and then went out for a fly with my brand new P4P.

When the drone was about 50mts away and about 15mts high and with nothing between myself and the drone, the signal went and the screen started to flicker but only for a second. I brought the drone straight back just incase anything happened, Like it falling out of the sky.

Other than that all went well and I was very pleased with my Brand new DJI Phantom 4 Pro.

I hope you find out what went wrong and let us all know.
2017-12-31
Use props
JoshKetcham
lvl.1

United States

Drones Point of Posted at 2017-12-31 17:13
I took my brand new P4P out for the first time yesterday the 30th December. The go 4 app was asking for an update when I connected the new battery for sync. I did the update and then went out for a fly with my brand new P4P.

When the drone was about 50mts away and about 15mts high and with nothing between myself and the drone, the signal went and the screen started to flicker but only for a second. I brought the drone straight back just incase anything happened, Like it falling out of the sky.

I’ve had it in the air about 10 times since purchase and I’ve been blown away with how it performs and the captures. Very baffled as to why or how this happened. It was close to that 50m point high and not sure the distance away. Hope they figured out what was wrong with yours
2017-12-31
Use props
Drones Point of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 607336 ft
United Kingdom

JoshKetcham Posted at 2017-12-31 17:21
I’ve had it in the air about 10 times since purchase and I’ve been blown away with how it performs and the captures. Very baffled as to why or how this happened. It was close to that 50m point high and not sure the distance away. Hope they figured out what was wrong with yours

I'm not sending it in just yet but I will if it happens again. Please let me know when you find out.
2017-12-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Josh, this must have been frustrating for you and I'm sincerely sorry about this. Just to verify, has the drone been retrieved or not? If yes, I'd suggest to start a case and send it in for fully diagnosis and repair:  https://www.dji.com/support
2017-12-31
Use props
JoshKetcham
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-31 20:27
Hey Josh, this must have been frustrating for you and I'm sincerely sorry about this. Just to verify, has the drone been retrieved or not? If yes, I'd suggest to start a case and send it in for fully diagnosis and repair:  https://www.dji.com/support

Hello Susan, yes the drone has been recovered and I did send an email regarding the case but nobody has responded as of now!
2017-12-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JoshKetcham Posted at 2017-12-31 21:28
Hello Susan, yes the drone has been recovered and I did send an email regarding the case but nobody has responded as of now!

Thanks for getting back to us. There might be some delay due to the holiday. The support will reply you soon, please check later.
2018-1-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JoshKetcham Posted at 2017-12-31 16:53
I’m not near a computer at the moment but I will upload data as soon as I am by one

Any progress on the flight data?
2018-1-1
Use props
Showrat
New
Flight distance : 4088 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-12-31 16:48

Whilst I agree that there is no point in speculating, This also happened to my P4P+ today from 100m up, directly onto a concrete platform.
I updated the firmware 4 days ago and this was the first serious flight since then. I flew it 20m round the garden when I had done the update.
It wasn't a battery disconnect as I could hear the rotors spinning intermittently as it came down and the battery was in when I collected the mess.
I have raised a service and returns ticket so I will update when I hear more.
2018-1-4
Use props
Showrat
New
Flight distance : 4088 ft
United Kingdom

Showrat Posted at 2018-1-4 09:51
Whilst I agree that there is no point in speculating, This also happened to my P4P+ today from 100m up, directly onto a concrete platform.
I updated the firmware 4 days ago and this was the first serious flight since then. I flew it 20m round the garden when I had done the update.
It wasn't a battery disconnect as I could hear the rotors spinning intermittently as it came down and the battery was in when I collected the mess.

UPDATE

Well, DJI picked up the drone, shipped it to the Netherlands, did a thorough data examination as I had asked for because I knew it was nothing I had done that caused the crash.
They did all of this within a week which is great service. I then got an email saying they had looked into it and were sending me a new drone. This arrived 4 days later.
This is excellent service, it couldn't have been quicker or better.
My only concern is that they are not prepared to tell me what the problem was with the drone, I have to take it on trust that it wont happen again !
2018-1-21
Use props
fans16b6c084
lvl.1
United States

Showrat Posted at 2018-1-21 09:12
UPDATE

Well, DJI picked up the drone, shipped it to the Netherlands, did a thorough data examination as I had asked for because I knew it was nothing I had done that caused the crash.

So this exact thing happened with my Ph4 today ... I had updated to the new firmware last week and this was it's first real flight since update.  Dropped 70 feet to grass... significant damage. I found a place online to get a repair ticket, but am wondering about who you shipped it to for diagnostics and the replacement?
2018-3-21
Use props
Uen
New

Norway

My Phantom 4 Advanced also fell out of sky. Twice. The first time it was a bit away from it so it was difficult to see properly what happend, The repair bill was about $600. Not knowing for sure (120%) made me not use the warranty. The second time I saw it properly, it just went out of control tumbling down, It's on it's way to the Netherlands now and I hope for as good service you got. I heard there there were some GPS issues with the P4 Pro and Advanced.
2018-9-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Uen Posted at 2018-9-20 14:33
My Phantom 4 Advanced also fell out of sky. Twice. The first time it was a bit away from it so it was difficult to see properly what happend, The repair bill was about $600. Not knowing for sure (120%) made me not use the warranty. The second time I saw it properly, it just went out of control tumbling down, It's on it's way to the Netherlands now and I hope for as good service you got. I heard there there were some GPS issues with the P4 Pro and Advanced.

I heard there there were some GPS issues with the P4 Pro and Advanced.
GPS issues don't make a Phantom fall from the sky.
2018-9-20
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Did the OP ever post the flight data or find out what caused the problem?
2018-9-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-20 17:16
Did the OP ever post the flight data or find out what caused the problem?

Nope. Never did.
2018-9-20
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Hmm! Maybe pilot error but too embarrassing to reveal?  
2018-9-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-21 05:32
Hmm! Maybe pilot error but too embarrassing to reveal?

Some never manage to understand the upload task, just give up and go away.
2018-9-21
Use props
richardcaravan-sites.co.uk
New

United Kingdom

Mine did exactly the same on the 19th April . I had been flying for about 5 minutes with a full battery then it just dropped like a stone. I have uploaded the log files and it was 3 days out of warranty but I am hoping DJI will help me out. It is so upsetting to see such a great piece of technology act like a brick!
2020-5-14
Use props
Bull751
lvl.1
United States

My phantom 4 pro did same thing today. Hovering at about 40 feet when it became unstable and dropped out of the sky. Hard. Lots of damage. I would be grateful for any info you have on this.
2020-12-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bull751 Posted at 12-14 14:02
My phantom 4 pro did same thing today. Hovering at about 40 feet when it became unstable and dropped out of the sky. Hard. Lots of damage. I would be grateful for any info you have on this.

I would be grateful for any info you have on this.
"this" is not a thing so there's no information that anyone can give.
But you could post your flight data which might give some clues or at least eliminate some possible causes.

To get to your flight data, go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.
2020-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules