Zenmuse Z-15 GH4 IMU firmware ver 1.12 upgrade problem!
4482 20 2015-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
petrhejl1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5869052 ft
United States

Zenmuse Z-15 GH4 IMU firmware ver 1.12 upgrade problem!

I have attempted to upgrade my Z-15 GH4 to IMU firmware version 1.12 (also GCU firmware to ver 2.4). My gimbal worked fine before this, with only a slight roll drift (after pan), which this upgrade was supposed to help with.
However, here is what happens when I turn the gimbal on after the upgrade:
- the gimbal initializes, then pans around and stops facing to the starboard (right) side of my S-900.
- the gimbal will still stabilize when moving the aircraft.
-the gimbal will “loose its mind” and start moving erratically, in some cases on its own, in some cases when attempted to move it using the RC controller. Seems like the gimbal IMU is malfunctioning.
-I attempted to initialize auto-calibration (a feature offered by this latest firmware upgrade) by toggling the mode stick a few times. The gimbal beeps twice, suggesting that the auto-calibratin has began, then it moves a little, and goes back to facing starboard, only now “frozen" (no stabilization, no reaction to the stick input). It never beeps four times to signal the end of auto-calibration (I tried waiting for up to five minutes, but to no avail).

Here is what I tried to trouble shoot the problem:
- Re-loaded the GCU and IMU firmware several times, and made sure I have the latest versions (GCU 2.4, IMU 1.12, CMU1.2, HD-AV 1.18).
- Checked if my A2 firmware was up-to-date (no updates available, A2 firmware on 2.4, all the other firmware in latest versions).
- I use the iOSD MarkII, and made sure the firmware on it is also up-to-date.
- Tried connecting the gimbal to both CAN1 and CAN2 ports on the A2.
- Swapped the gimbal for another one to see if there may be another issue (cable, etc.), the other gimbal works good.

Has anyone else experienced this  and are there any known remedies?

Here is a link to my video describing the issue:

2015-4-20
Use props
petrhejl1
lvl.1
United States

Update: after some more troubleshooting, I contacted DJI support about possible options to downgrade the firmware. While there is no such an option, they were very helpful in setting me up with RMA and asking to send the gimbal to them.
2015-4-21
Use props
DJI support 8
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Hi, beofore sending back, could you try one more time auto-calibration, if the calibration doesn't beeps four times after calibration, means the it doesn't succeed.
Toggle the mode stick  3-5 times,  do the calibration several times. Check if this help.
Would like to know your result.
2015-4-21
Use props
petrhejl1
lvl.1
United States

DJI support 8 Posted at 2015-4-22 11:32
Hi, beofore sending back, could you try one more time auto-calibration, if the calibration doesn't b ...

Hi, thank you for your suggestion, I tired several times, but with same result. The gimbal beeps twice, then slowly turns to face starboard (right) and then just sits there forever (I waited as long as ten minutes). When it sits there, the motors are engaged, but will not move the gimbal if the aircraft is moved, nor it will react to any controller input.
2015-4-27
Use props
DJI support 8
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Sorry to learn taht. Here is the link where you can find the nearest support center
http://www.dji.com/support
2015-4-27
Use props
petrhejl1
lvl.1
United States

DJI support 8 Posted at 2015-4-28 15:02
Sorry to learn taht. Here is the link where you can find the nearest support center
http://www.dji ...

Thank you.
2015-4-28
Use props
DroneThugsNHarm
New

Canada

Never ever ever ever ever update your firmware if your unit is working! If it's not broken, let it go. Firmware is a 4 letter word in our office!
2015-4-28
Use props
mathieu.mouraud
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1226608 ft
Colombia

I made the colossal mistake to update the Z15-GH4. Bricked. Copter down for one week.
For pro equipment it is unacceptable.
DJI needs to improve its QC and its upgrade procedures.
It is crazy that a failed update bricks the upgraded equipment.
2015-5-11
Use props
DJI support 8
lvl.4

Hong Kong

mathieu.mouraud Posted at 2015-5-12 01:14
I made the colossal mistake to update the Z15-GH4. Bricked. Copter down for one week.
For pro equip ...

We are investigationg this problem, sorry for the inconvenience brought. If you need any urgent help, please contact me for a temporary solution.
2015-5-12
Use props
zenkovpp
lvl.1

Russia

I was send Zenmuse GH4 to support EU with same problem. Not same, stronger.

With A2 controller - stright flight issue, and GIMBAL roll change on begin and at the end of fly.

Now waiting

2015-5-13
Use props
vantageaerial
lvl.1

United States

If you're in the US and you are planning to send you gimbal in you can expect to be without it for a long time (5 to 6 weeks) and within that waiting period be left completely in the dark as to whats going on.  BTW the 5-6 week clock starts after DJI checks you unit in....mine sat at DJI for a week before it was officially checked in.  It's currently been "checked in" for 23 days with no additional activity noted. Not very reassuring since this is the first step in the repair process and the unit hasn't even seen a repair tech or even placed into the repair line.
I'm beyond frustrated at this point as I continue to lose revenue with my S1000 out of service.  Luckily I have other non-DJI platforms that are picking up some of the slack.  DJI's poor attention to detail on professional level equipment paired with non-existant customer service will definitely play a role in future aerial platforms purchases and recommendations.

2015-5-13
Use props
mathieu.mouraud
lvl.2
Colombia

Yes we are looking at another alternative too, it's just intolerable for pro equipment.
Where do you see the status of your repair though ?
2015-5-13
Use props
vantageaerial
lvl.1

United States

mathieu.mouraud Posted at 2015-5-14 05:19
Yes we are looking at another alternative too, it's just intolerable for pro equipment.
Where do you ...

When you call to get an RMA number they should take down your email and send you a link.
2015-5-13
Use props
vantageaerial
lvl.1

United States

vantageaerial@g Posted at 2015-5-14 05:40
When you call to get an RMA number they should take down your email and send you a link.

This is the web address where I can login and view the activity of the repair.  
https://djitechnology.zendesk.com
2015-5-13
Use props
mathieu.mouraud
lvl.2
Colombia

Fantastic. Mine appears solved. It's not.
2015-5-13
Use props
cates.mj.gmail
lvl.1
United States

I cannot even get through.  The line says they are busy and to call back!
DJI L.A. Address: L.A., California, USA.
6424 Santa Monica Boulevard, Hollywood, CA 90038 • www.DJI.com
us.support@dji.com
Tel: 818-235-0789

Any ideas on how i can get an RMA # faster?
2015-8-11
Use props
TwoShots
lvl.2
Poland

Hello,
Our platform is DJI S1000+, A2, Lightbridge with 2nd operator.
I have been using Zenmuse Z15GH4 for a while now and besides small horizont drifting, everything has been working fine, till yesterday. We made a firmware update for the Zenmuse Z15-GH4 version 1.12 and now it's acting like crazy – see the video below
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/a99t1t6a0zx6ehq/AAAR6t73AReWBpU5aXaTsG_ka
We tried couple of times to update the firmware with full power cycle device w/o USB plugin etc, but with no results at all the times.
The Copter is perfectly balanced, the gimbal as well.
We calibrated IMU and tried to perform AUTO CALIBRATION Zenmuse, it beeps 2 times and starts calibration, but it fails and beeps 3 times at the end.
Badly, we need our copter for the job on tuesday and it's worthless right now...
Please help us!
Really looking forward to hearing from you!
2015-10-12
Use props
dragant
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11222717 ft
  • >>>
Serbia

TwoShots Posted at 2015-10-12 16:06
Hello,
Our platform is DJI S1000+, A2, Lightbridge with 2nd operator.
I have been using Zenmuse Z15G ...

Recently I've upgraded my Z15 GH4 to latest firmware and since than I have lot of problems with bad horizon drift. Tried several times to calibrate gimbal and compass but non of that made any difference. Drift is still very noticeable when S900 do any yaw move. I don't know what could be a problem and how to solve this.

With previous firmware it had no problems with horizon drift. Is there any option to downgrade to some older firmware?
2015-10-18
Use props
suleymanbektas
lvl.1
Turkey

dragant@gmail.c Posted at 2015-10-18 16:46
Recently I've upgraded my Z15 GH4 to latest firmware and since than I have lot of problems with ba ...

hi,I have also the same problems. did you solve your own problems?
thanks
2016-2-11
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

suleymanbektas Posted at 2016-2-11 21:18
hi,I have also the same problems. did you solve your own problems?
thanks

Hi, more calibration may be needed in case of any interference in the real environment. Please just try more to calibrate each modules.
2016-2-15
Use props
olof
lvl.1

Sweden

Same problem here I think. I have Wookong and Z15 GH3 with GH4 mouted.
Updated to GCU 3.0 and my gimbal is crazy.. password: gimbal

olof@segerbergmedia.se

Please help!
2016-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules