How cold will you run your P4?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sidherun
New
United States

Being new to this hobby, I'm quite anxious to try out my new Xmas toy :-)

With the weather in the NorthEast US being so damn cold, I'm wondering what your experience is with flying in cold temps (below 0).

Assuming it's just a trial run, low altitude in a relatively clear area (no water), should I just wait until later in the year?
2018-1-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't have a P4, but my experience from reading many posts and my own flying P2s and P3s is that you can fly in very cold weather.  There have been posts from pilots who have flown in Alaska in sub-zero F weather and not had a serious problem.  Main thing is you want to have your battery pre-warmed prior to flight.  I would want to start with a battery that's at least 25 C, but that's just my opinion.  You might also consider blocking some of the vents.  Good luck.  
2018-1-1
Use props
Svanen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2022887 ft
Denmark

I have had it out for a run in minus 8 d. C
No problem!

But insure that the batteries are about 20 d c. Before taking off (have them in the warm car
2018-1-2
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

in my warm zone (mediterranean near Africa) I try to reach 20 degrees before flying ..
2018-1-2
Use props
2N Media
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2077080 ft
United States

I have flown mine in temps right down to zero degrees Fahrenheit but like all the above comments the batteries were warm to start and I keep spares in my car with the heat on.
Here is some footage I grabbed here in New England on 12/31 flying my Phantom 4 Pro....temp was 2 F. and I think the cold bothered my hands more than the drone....lol.

2018-1-2
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Beautiful Video !!!
2018-1-2
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I have flown in temperatures of -5 and the craft worked without a hitch every time. The same cannot be said for the pilot whose ability to withstand that sort of cold is very limited. The crafty certainly worked better than I.
2018-1-2
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

2N Media Posted at 2018-1-2 04:17
I have flown mine in temps right down to zero degrees Fahrenheit but like all the above comments the batteries were warm to start and I keep spares in my car with the heat on.
Here is some footage I grabbed here in New England on 12/31 flying my Phantom 4 Pro....temp was 2 F. and I think the cold bothered my hands more than the drone....lol.

That was stunning footage and an indication of what cold really is Brrrr I can feel it now.
2018-1-2
Use props
2N Media
lvl.1
United States

Thank you!
2018-1-2
Use props
2N Media
lvl.1
United States

PeteHB Posted at 2018-1-2 04:38
That was stunning footage and an indication of what cold really is Brrrr I can feel it now.

Thank you!
Yeah it was feeling pretty cold, that wind whipping across the water cuts right through you.
2018-1-2
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

P4 Manual states 'Operating temperature range is 32 to 104 degrees.'

Lowest temp I've flown my P4P has been 38 degrees for approximately an hour with no issues. Upon inserting battery, let it hover for a min (warm up battery) before heading out into the airspace.
2018-1-2
Use props
Sidherun
New
United States

WoW, What a great video @2NMedia :-)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone, if it breaks into the positive today, I think I might give it a try :-)
2018-1-2
Use props
fans9e45cbdf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1935279 ft
United States

Have had p3 for a full Michigan yr ,no problem! But it 0 deg. For the last 10 days and my new 4adv is staying at home
2018-1-6
Use props
fans9e45cbdf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1935279 ft
United States

I’ve never had a problem flying in the cold.the views are crisp,  . My drone has traveled 1.7 mil ft.  100 + fl. 18 to 27 min.   It’s been 25 below f and froze.and still had a good time.let me know if you’re having problems.good luck........
2018-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules