Phantom 3 as First Professional Drone?
3483 5 2015-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeezcak3
lvl.1

United States

Hi All,

It is my first post in the forum and I promise this won't be my last. I'm looking forward to ordering P3 Pro and I have a few questions that need to be answered so I am looking forward to listen to your advise. I just started flying recently by practicing a $50 Chinese's Syma drone on Amazon. Nothing unexpected, I fell in love with these toys. I've been reading about DJI for sometime but I thought it was too expensive for a first timer. Now I believe I have enough experience to bring this baby home so below are some of my questions before I start ordering. Some of them have been asked before but they were not answered from my understanding.

- Is there a way for us output live to FPV googles? I understand that P3 Tx RC does not have HDMI output like Inspire RC does. Is there a way or will dJI provide an option for us to purchase P3 and select Inspire 1 remote? Alternatively, can we mirror mobile device screen to FPV goggles?
- Does follow me work as described?
- How much weight can it lift? I sense that it won't be more than 1/2 lb.
- How car can it actually fly before losing signal in populated cities in Southern California? Someone was reporting 3000m judging form the video that I saw last night
- Why is Waypoint feature so important to you?

Thank you!

Thang Nguyen
2015-4-20
Use props
cdavisccs28
New

United States

See my replies in Red below.

- Is there a way for us output live to FPV googles? I understand that P3 Tx RC does not have HDMI output like Inspire RC does. Is there a way or will dJI provide an option for us to purchase P3 and select Inspire 1 remote? Alternatively, can we mirror mobile device screen to FPV goggles?
Word is that there will be an optional mini-HDMI output module available for the P3 controller coming shortly

- Does follow me work as described?
There is no follow me function, this function would need to be supplied by a 3rd party app developer

- How much weight can it lift? I sense that it won't be more than 1/2 lb.
This I do not know an answer to

- How car can it actually fly before losing signal in populated cities in Southern California? Someone was reporting 3000m judging form the video that I saw last night
DJI rates the range as "2000m outdoors and unobstructed". I would think that in a populated area that range can, and will, be less because of many possible factors including interference and structures.

- Why is Waypoint feature so important to you?
For me, I would use this feature for mapping.  But, this is another function that is not available out of the box and will need to be supplied by a 3rd party app developer the same as the follow me feature you asked about above.
2015-4-20
Use props
Jeezcak3
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for introducing me the new idea that we can use it for mapping. Do you know what other enthusiasts use this Waypoint feature fore?

So that follow me feature is BS?

So the video is output from that micro USB port in the P3 Controller? If so, can we use Micro-USB video splitter?
2015-4-20
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI has never released the payloads in an accurate manner.

However, it's safe to figure that the P3 is as least as good - and probably better - than the newest P2.

All in all I think you are close by saying it could lift up to about 1/2 pound in addition to it's stock setup. Personally, I'd use 200 grams....and even try to keep it at 100 grams.

If you are looking for maximum payload, a newer version of the bare P2 may be a better value. I suspect you could add at least a pound to that - maybe more - assuming it is the v3 with the better props, motors, etc.

I don't personally use waypoints, but there are lots of potential uses - examples:
1. Mapping
2. Inspection - a farmer who needs to check his fences for damage, etc. could fly the same mission once a week.
3. Aerial tour video of large areas - a waypoint flight can allow more control of the camera angles, etc. since the flight is on autopilot and does not require as much operator input.

I don't use waypoints myself - and would only use them in a very large open area and with a lot of study on the exact mission and features.  I think the reason DJI took it out of the new bird has to do with uneducated pilots losing or crashing their Phantoms too easily due to waypoint flying.
2015-4-22
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Some tablets feature HDMI outputs that can mirror the display.  So you can plug the tablet into the USB port on the P3 controller and then connect your HDMI glasses to the HDMI out of your tablet.

It's not clear if "follow me" or dynamic home position will be supported on the phantom 3 or not.  It will depend on the GPS  in your attached tablet or smart phone if they do decide to implement it.

Why are you asking about payload?  The Phantom 3 comes with a camera.  What other payload are you trying to carry?  You can buy other Phantom drones without a camera if you want to attach a different camera.  The P3 has an integrated camera.

The new P3 should work for 2000 meters maximum unobstructed.  1000 meters is probably more realistic.

I suspect waypoint mapping or "Ground Station" mode will not be supported due the new FAA regulations which state you must fly within "visual range" and maintain direct manual control at all times.  (Also 400 feet AGL. maximum.)
2015-4-22
Use props
Thang
lvl.1

United States

Thanks, guys! That's very informative.

The reason why I asked is because I know a bit about programming so I would like to hop into this at some point, if I stop being a bum. I see the huge potentials of drone industry in the future. But most important of all, it's so fun!
I was curious about payload because I wonder if we could develope something attached along with the camera.

if FAA regulations get enforced, I could imagine Light Bridge would be pretty much. I wonder if "visual range" particularly means naked eyes.

I kinda don't like DJI already -- they keep a huge gray area for them to move around. Typical Chinese company tatics.
2015-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules