Traveling with Spark
4361 12 2018-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
headshot9
lvl.3
United States

Had to travel quite a bit in December so I decided to take my Spark with me. Here is what I experienced and a small bonus image.

My kit: Spark, Remote, 4 batteries, charger, etc. All with me in my backpack (carry on)
Airlines: United, El Al, Singapore Air, Thai Air, Silk, Smile
Countries: Italy, Israel, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand

• Without knowing about my drone, at check-in, they always asked me about batteries in my checked bags.
  • Zero issue or questions about to the drone or batteries by airport security. Was never asked to take it out or any questions about the batteries capacity. Actually, other than "I see you have a drone" by the security girl in Israel (followed by "yes" by me, and "nice" from her) nobody even mentioned it.
  • Always asked before flying:
  • Rome, Italy - answer was No most of the time
  • Israel (Tel Aviv area) - answer was Yes most of the time
  • Didn't even asked in Singapore and Hong Kong as I was very close to the airport most of the time
  • Thailand - people seem to be used to the question, most private locations were ok with it (with the exception of our zip line operator for obvious reasons). Flying over or next to temple is not allowed, same goes for some national parks.

If you survived up to here, enjoy this sphere photo of Koh Phi Phi Don

IMG_33222.jpg DJI_0231 copy2.jpg

2018-1-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for your sharing, Hope you have a nice trip. Nice pictures.
2018-1-1
Use props
PS1985
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Thank you for this. I am traveling to Israel in April ‘18 and am having a hard time finding information about Israeli Security. I read a post from 2015 that the person’s drone was confiscated. So there was no issue with you...
2018-2-10
Use props
Smark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80089 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to do a little travelling as was curios as to how drones did going through security.
2018-2-10
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531014 ft
Canada

Wow very nice pictures
2018-2-10
Use props
sSkyPilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Again, Thank you for sharing the experience.
2018-2-10
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fantastic 360 pano (tiny planet). One of the best I've seen. I love it.
2018-2-10
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

thanks for sharing!
and very nice pictures!
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great shots!  
2018-2-11
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Good info and pictures. I am travelling to Thailand shortly so this helps .
2018-2-11
Use props
headshot9
lvl.3
United States

Thanks. I’ve been using Theta+ on my iPhone to create the tiny planet photo from the Spark 360 image.
2018-2-11
Use props
Lis Morris
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've just come back from travelling with my drone, so I'll add my experience as well. One of the reasons I chose the Spark was for ease of travelling. The other is its cute look that says  'I'm not one of those scary technical drone things the Daily Mail complains about' .

I did some background research, and drones were illegal in Sweden for casual use until July 2017, so I was good. I wanted to take three batteries, so I drained them down to below 30%, as per best practice, and put them in third party explosion-proof lipo safe bags.

When I got to security (UK Manchester airport, UK airports are pretty strict), I placed the Spark, its remote, the batteries and my tablet all in one of those crates they put through the scanning machine. It went through without a hitch...and then I got pulled to one side because of a tiny container of handgel in my bag I had completely forgotten about :p.

The security guy did comment on the drone, however: he said 'Ohh, nice Spark. I've got a Phantom 3, it's great!'

Coming back from Sweden was absolutely uneventful- except for a lot of naked envy on the faces of the security people who saw it sitting in the tray. It didn't occur to me before, but what kind of people would choose to work at an airport? Aircraft fans. So when they see a drone, they all fangirl over it!

Before you travel, I would recommend you check out the guidelines for travelling with Lipo batteries. As I type this, the current rules are that for a drone with batteries under 100 watt hours- Spark, Mavic,  Phantom, presumably Mavic Air, and even the Inspire (at 99 watt hours, you sneaky DJI ), you can carry up to four batteries, but only in your cabin luggage. This also includes any power bank for your phone and/or tablet, so I went for three Spark batteries and a Ravpower 10000 miAh power bank. The batteries should also be protected and bagged to prevent shorts between the terminals, hence the fireproof bags, and drained to below 30% of charge. As far as I can tell, phone power banks can be fully charged, since they sell them in this condition in the airport, and I've never had any objections.

According to one reading of the rules, you could possibly carry another battery if it's attached to the drone, but I only own three, so this is not something I tried out.

These are the bags I used:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Explosion-Protective-Resistant-Crazepony%EF%BC%88Hold/dp/B073W9287G/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1518429248&sr=8-12&keywords=lipo+safe+bag+dji+spark

Hope this helps!
2018-2-12
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

headshot9 Posted at 2018-2-11 23:25
Thanks. I’ve been using Theta+ on my iPhone to create the tiny planet photo from the Spark 360 image.

Do you download the sphere photo from DJI Go 4, and then put it through Theta+? Whenever I download it from the DJI Go 4 app, it is flat. Is this what you experience?
2018-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules