Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ocusync Air System for RC Car
7199 14 2018-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FatStoge
lvl.4
United States

Hello,

I recently ordered the Ocusync Air system for my DJI Goggles RE and was hoping to install the camera and unit onto my RC Car (Traxxas X-Maxx with TQi radio). I've seen plenty of videos and instructions on installing it on other drones but nothing for RC Cars. How would it be wired? Can you run it to the receiver for power like other accessories? Also, off topic, can the feed be viewed elsewhere other than the Goggles?

Thanks in advanced!
2018-1-2
Use props
userc700ed709a
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

Hi. Did you have any luck connecting the Ocusync Air Unit to the battery? I’m trying to do the same as you but there are no instructions whatsoever on the type of connection needed for the batteries! Appalling instructions. I have also contacted DJI’s support and they got back to me with: “sorry we don’t have any information on this. It’s a DIY connection”. I haven’t been able to power the unit on yet!
2018-1-13
Use props
mphertenberger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 591650 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

The transmitter seems to require S3/S4 LiPo batteries, so traditional 7.2V batteries used in an RC car probably won’t work. Unless you have an ESC that can connect to a LiPo.

Would be keen to find a way of doing this...
2018-1-16
Use props
FatStoge
lvl.4
United States

userc700ed709a Posted at 2018-1-13 11:25
Hi. Did you have any luck connecting the Ocusync Air Unit to the battery? I’m trying to do the same as you but there are no instructions whatsoever on the type of connection needed for the batteries! Appalling instructions. I have also contacted DJI’s support and they got back to me with: “sorry we don’t have any information on this. It’s a DIY connection”. I haven’t been able to power the unit on yet!

Trial and error. I bought a 3s FPV battery on Amazon with an XT30 connector. Then I ran an Xt30 to male JST connector to a female jst connector with two terminals at the other end. Those terminals slipped right onto the two power leads on the UART cable. Works!
2018-1-16
Use props
userc700ed709a
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

FatStoge Posted at 2018-1-16 19:12
Trial and error. I bought a 3s FPV battery on Amazon with an XT30 connector. Then I ran an Xt30 to male JST connector to a female jst connector with two terminals at the other end. Those terminals slipped right onto the two power leads on the UART cable. Works!

Great to hear that it worked. Thanks. How many Ampere battery should I buy? There is no data on consumption on the manual and the technical support was unable to answer me. Is a 1500 mAh battery sufficient in your opinion for 30 minute downstream of video signal only? Cheers
2018-1-20
Use props
FatStoge
lvl.4
United States

I just used a 3S FPV drone battery from Amazon. Mine was 450MaH
2018-1-24
Use props
userc700ed709a
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

FatStoge Posted at 2018-1-24 11:55
I just used a 3S FPV drone battery from Amazon. Mine was 450MaH

In the end I bought a 1250 mAh 3S battery but I’ve noticed that it gets drained quite fast.. 30 min max probably.

I am able to record only on the Goggles RE’s SD card though. Anybody knows how to record directly on the Ocusync Air Unit’s SD card? In what format should it be formatted? There seems to be no option in the menu on where to record..

Other issue that I have is that every time I have to plug and unplug the battery and repeat the linking procedure between the Ocusync Air unit and the Goggles RE multiple times before I finally get the image on the Goggles. Anyone has the same issue?

The instructions provided in the box are totally incomplete and frankly unacceptable for a commercial product! You need to take it to an electrician just to make the necessary connections to attach it to a battery!!
2018-2-5
Use props
Jamesjts
lvl.2
Flight distance : 916578 ft
United States

Hi looking to do this as well and put on a 1/8 crawler. Wondering if you guys had any heat issues not having flight air flow over the occusync unit.
2018-3-6
Use props
fanse4b92006
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4009774 ft
Ukraine

DJI stated - Ocusync Air System is usable for RC car, boat etc..
THE MAIN QUESTION to DJI team - HOW it's usable (for video transmition only or FULLY including control signal)?
If it's fully usable please specify how!

I'm a big fan of DJI but unfortunately - no anwer fm your good team untill now!

FYI
I bought DJI Goggles combo (Ocusync Air System included) 4 months ago. Tried to wire up my HPI Vorza with Ocusync Air unit throgh SBUS to PWM decoder but vainly - seems like there's not SBUS coming out fm this Ocusync Air unit! How or by means of what I can get proper PWM signal in order to have possibility to ride my RC car?
Thanks to DJI in advance for quick reply.
2018-3-26
Use props
fansbfa40521
New
Flight distance : 17789 ft
Estonia

FatStoge Posted at 2018-1-16 19:12

Hi! Awsome news!
I have heard that Ocusync and Traxxas may block eachother out. Did you experience anything like that?
What is the range for video/rc control?
2019-1-4
Use props
djiuser_5eIFsHJDx6pw
lvl.1
Germany

Jamesjts Posted at 2018-3-6 23:35
Hi looking to do this as well and put on a 1/8 crawler. Wondering if you guys had any heat issues not having flight air flow over the occusync unit.

HI, you need to cool the ocusync-unit with additional fans then it works. without cooling it quits after about 20 minutes because of overheating.
I glued two 30mm fans with thermic glue to the unit and the temperature now doesn't rise over finger temperature as before you could burn your fingers on the unit.
2019-3-20
Use props
Ronbo62
New

United States

Any new news on this thread? I'm looking at this for my Summit. I thought it would just plug into the Traxxas controller?
2019-4-3
Use props
Ronbo62
New

United States

Any new news on this thread? I'm looking at this for my Summit. I thought it would just plug into the Traxxas controller?
2019-4-3
Use props
djiuser_OqMGEe7qNbPb
lvl.1

Israel

Hello
I am new to DJI but we'll experienced with Traxxas.
After a few days of browsing and research I have decided to purchase an air unit to my X Maxx.

Any recommendations for wirings, connectors and cooling options (by the way, DJI has a unique fan for the system, but no manual apparently to review online)
2020-4-19
Use props
brar001
New

United States

Hey all, I am also new to DJI. i wanted FPV in a drone (not racing wanted something easier to fly) so i went with the Mavic Pro and the DJI goggle RE (since it has the ocusync pairing with the Mavic but also the 5.8ghz capability). My plan is to add a VTX to my RC (its a 1:5 gas rig). Was debating about getting the DJI ocusync air system, but the needs are a bit different with the RC. Its ground so i don't need pristine visuals so wasn't sure it justified the cost of that unit. I ended up going with the spotter V2 AIO ($40 AMZN) as it will work with the headset and might be able to run off the receiver or existing battery (used for ignition etc). Even if i have to get a separate 2s LIPO it will still be cheaper. Anyhow, there is not exact info on this anywhere i could find (and i looked quite a bit), just curious to know if anyone has made similar efforts, trial and error, recommendations on using the RE goggles with a RC car/truck/buggy, whether with the DJI unit or a third party, hurdles with install (power) or operation. Thanks!
2020-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules