Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Best Tablet for DJI Pilot App?
12Next >
44352 41 2015-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chefobi
lvl.2

United States

I'm thinking about getting an iPad mini 2 or the Nvidia Shield Tablet (Both are $300). However, I've also heard the iPad Air 2 is somehow the best tablet you can get for the DJI Pilot App since it has antireflective coating and a faster processor but it is $500. Currently, I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 but I want a bigger screen to view while I'm flying to get a better shot.
Does anyone know which tablet I should get to monitor my Phantom 3 from the sky?
2015-4-20
Use props
dirienzo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 245902 ft
  • >>>
United States

After a ton of research I found  the iPad mini 2 to be my choice. Most people find the IPad air 2 to be to big and bulky for the transmitter. I actually bought the mini 2 today. I feel it is the right size for the transmitter. Latency/lag appears the IPads do a great job.   
2015-4-20
Use props
Rothgarr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

I'll be hulking around with an iPad Air as that's just what I happen to have right now...
2015-4-20
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

Id go with the galaxy tab 8.4 pro but Im kinda biased   http://www.phonearena.com/phones ... -Galaxy-Tab-Pro-8.4,Apple-iPad-mini-2/phones/8276,8171
2015-4-20
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

if you don't like apple products and want to go with Android then I'd suggest pretty much anything Samsung  or Google Nexus thats recent and has GPS

Any tablet SHOULD work as long as it has GPS and Android 4.1(or maybe 4.2) or newer
2015-4-20
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

There has been a lot of mention that guys like to use the NVidia shield.
2015-4-21
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

I absolutly hate Apple products.  

With that said, I just bought an iPod Air 2 64GB.  I can't believe all the extra stuff in the pilot app.  Number of satelites, over exposure warning (that's a biggie for me),  the voice, and probably a bunch of other things that I haven't discovered yet....... oh and as far as I can tell, the lag is pretty much not there.
2015-6-10
Use props
snsjets
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2730518 ft
United States

I'm not a fan of Apple products either.  Unfortunately the Android app just does not have the features that the iOS app does.  Also the pilot app runs smoother on my company-issued iPad Air than on my own Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0.  I much prefer the operation of my Samsung but caved after finding an iPad Mini 2 + Cellular on sale at Wally World.

2015-6-10
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an iPad Mini 2. It's a good balance between size and weight.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-10
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I use an iPad mini 2 and it works well for me. You do need some sort of sun visor for anything you use. I made mine out of a usps priority mail cardboard box that cost nothing. May post some info on my build. Anyway, it's personal preference to what you may already have. If you are needing to purchase an apple product check out the refurbished site. I have purchased all my apple products from the refurbished list and saved many $$$. Also includes  same warranty as a new unit. The mini fits and feels well mounted to my TX, iPad Air 2 has larger screen and just squeaks in but adds more mass to TX. Don't know about Android products, never wanted to go to the Dark Side. I'm sure someone will chime in on that front.
2015-6-14
Use props
The Phantom 2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I´m also wondering about the Nvidia Shield, its seems popular for use together with P3 and Inspire 1, is it because its easier to live stream with it or whats the deal with the Nvidia Shield? Does it have any other benefits over the Apple products?
2015-6-14
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

What's wrong with Apple?
I would use an IPad Air 2. Apple products are better with the pilot app currently.
2015-6-14
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Jack57 Posted at 2015-6-14 21:24
What's wrong with Apple?
I would use an IPad Air 2. Apple products are better with the pilot app cu ...

No gps unless you get the cellular model ?
2015-6-20
Use props
DanH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315177 ft
France

Using an Ipad Air 2, I don't find it  too heavy for the transmitter.
Nevertheless I changed the tablet holder for the Inpire metallic one !
2015-6-21
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DanH, that's a great suggestion. I did the same and the difference is night and day.

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... -tablet-mount.42864

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.

2015-6-21
Use props
raafmaker
lvl.2
Netherlands

After my Sony Xperia Z1 and Sony Xperia Z2 tablet i considered buying Ipad Mini 2 retina. And to be honest Apple works great, no video lag at all!  The 8inch screen fits great with the controller.
2015-6-21
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

I am using Lenovo S8-50 lte and it is OK for Phantom.
From a cheap tablets also Tesco Hudl 2 is fine.http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/
2015-6-21
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I have tried about everything,  As I am the developer-designer of the Nebula Alien Sunglasses wireless fpv system, The nvidia shield flows the video the best and you can plug hdmi glasses such as mine directly into them.  I do not like the Nvidia screen in the sun at all,  I also do not like the fact that the Nvidia has magnets in it,  The compass feature is terrible , I don't want the magnets around my equip. and I want the full navigation functions that involve the compass in the tab.

For the samsungs and others look at the speed results on antutu , and research the forums I use the Samsung tab s  with the google service rolled back , The compass is perfect, absolutely the best of all the devices I have tested,  and you can almost see the screen in the sun ,  about the best of any in the sun.  I have tried to many devices to list.   with about as many different results.

Whats even more confusing is reading all of the different results that everyone is having on the same devices, almost impossible to figure.  What I would do is this, The video flow and processor overheating are DJI's main problem,  I would wait until the next round of software to come out and see then what tablet or phone system might be the best.
2015-6-21
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went with iPad air 2 because the processing speed is excellent.  I then ordered a inspire 1 device holder and replaced the phantom 3 device holder with it.  Its much sturdier and really makes the set up perfect.  
2015-6-21
Use props
DroneExplorer
lvl.1

Singapore

I am using iPad Mini 2, work best for me and it fits in the DJI hard shell back pack.
2015-6-22
Use props
villachristian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1358215 ft
Italy

Hi..
After too many crash of the app on my mobile phone samsung ,i decided to buy a small tablet,an asus memo pad 7,hoping that things were better,but still continue to crash....i've have installed nothing on it,only the DJI app...what's the matter,i know is not the top performer of his class...but ...i don't know what to think about it...
2015-6-22
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-6-21 11:18

Correct.  Doesn't require cellular service but to get the GPS chip, it's a $100 increase over the Wifi models.

I use an iPad Air 2 64.  I do use a sunshade - even the anti reflective screen can't handle the noonday sun here in New Mexico.  Brutal.
2015-6-22
Use props
zaratetony
New

Ecuador

Brandon00151 Posted at 2015-4-21 11:42
if you don't like apple products and want to go with Android then I'd suggest pretty much anything S ...

I want to buy a Phantom 3 Professional drone, but my butget for a good Tablet compatible with this drone is not so high, so I wnt to know if these options are ok for my drone ori f you have another affordable option, thanks a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Goog ... Google+Nexus+7+2013
2015-6-22
Use props
jakeemon
lvl.1

New Zealand

http://www.irulu.com/10.1-inch-t ... hdmi-s-ips_698.html
2015-7-29
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Here's a list of commonly used tablets:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/which-device-s-do-you-use-to-run-the-dji-pilot-app.48525/

www.PhantomHelp.com
2015-7-29
Use props
Lil' Outdoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294777 ft
United States

I use the iPad air 2 and it works great. In my opinion it is worth the money
2015-7-29
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

how does your s3 performed?
2015-7-29
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

villachristian Posted at 2015-6-23 00:39
Hi..
After too many crash of the app on my mobile phone samsung ,i decided to buy a small tablet,an  ...

Does your Asus have GPS?
2015-7-30
Use props
starfighters
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1358215 ft
United Kingdom

acenothing Posted at 2015-7-31 09:49
Does your Asus have GPS?

Yes..he has GPS.
But i found out that disabling all the app's,bring it back to original status and disabling google play store,crash stopped,but in this way, i can see the images from the camera and all the function of the app works fine.
BUT...the map is not visualizable,i can see the route without seeing the maps of the terrain i flew over..
Any suggestion?It's a matter of tablet hardware...
2015-8-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I have tried an iPad Mini 2, it got hot, very hot. So I traded up to the iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular.
It never even gets warm from the Pilot App with its A8X CPU... I haven't noticed any video lag, but I fly mostly LOS.

It's too bad the cost is prohibitive for many, as it looks and feels great, very light for its screen size.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-3
Use props
ProVisionalShot
lvl.1
United States

I am posting hoping to help someone with the same issue I have (yet unresolved). When i purchased the P3P I assumed the mini iPad 1 would be sufficient, obviously its not. So I went out and bought the mini iPad 3, well my picture looks great, until 5-10 minutes into flight the screen becomes very pixelated with black boxes covering a 1/4 of the picture and with about 3-5 second lag. After doing a bunch of research (rather be flying) and changing settings-  1. Enable hardware encoding. 2. Switch from 4k to 1080P 3. Turn off Video cache 4. Turn off WiFi and Cellular 5. Speaking to a rep from our American support team. It appears the issue with the FPV image is the "APP" $2,000 later into my investment this "APP" is going to limit me to shelving this product. The problem is the mini iPad 3 combined with the APP, gets to hot and cannot process the image as it should. SOOOOO if anyone has had success with flying for atleast 40 minutes with good FPV reception PLEASE....enlighten me.  

Thanks
2015-9-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

If possible, please return it to the Apple store and exchange for an iPad Air 2 Cellular.
This device is incredible, and it feels as light as the mini did, before it got hot enough to warm dinner... ;-)

I think the iPad Air 2 and the Phantom 3 is a marriage made in Heaven.
Add an awesome Inspire 1 device holder. And you are set.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-2
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

wait a couple weeks and get the air2, they are coming out with a new model and air2 will be pretty cheap
2015-9-2
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

I just posted another thread about DJI Go App...I think I may have found a solution for android users...I cleared the "app cache" and "app data" in the application manager and it seemed to make the app work alot smoother.  It does clear all the settings like your DJI account, etc...but it sure seemed to help.  If others could try this and report the results to the thread "DJI Go App Issues..." I would greatly appreciate it...
2015-9-2
Use props
xpjet
lvl.1
United States

I have the iPad Mini 2 and absolutely love using it for everything, with the exception of afternoon shooting with the PH3.  I've had tons of video problems and have done everything suggested by all of the very helpful contributors here, however my problems have not been solved.  I was shooting video of a friend's property but just couldn't get the job done with the video issues.  I switched to my iPhone 6 (first time use for the PH3) in an attempt to finish up and it worked great.  Will look into getting the iPad Air2 soon because I just can't see enough info on the iPhone.
2015-9-25
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-6-20 23:18

You will have gps with cellular, however no data plane purchase is required. What a great benefit.
2015-9-26
Use props
NIK1
New
Canada

I was thinking of getting a IPad Mini 2 to control my Phantom 3 Standard-Which one works the best--With Wi-Fi or with Wi-Fi and Cellular--16 gig or 32 gig. Any suggestions appreciated..
2017-1-15
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Nexus  7 2013 which works well with my P4 ,but I have just bought a IPAD mini2 with 4G and it seams to run DJI GO a lot smoother  than the N7 2013
2017-1-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

NIK1 Posted at 2017-1-15 11:07
I was thinking of getting a IPad Mini 2 to control my Phantom 3 Standard-Which one works the best--With Wi-Fi or with Wi-Fi and Cellular--16 gig or 32 gig. Any suggestions appreciated..

Having a Cellular iPad doesn't make it work any better, but it gives you more flight options. ;-)
Follow Me is available, moving your dynamic home point becomes possible. With a cellular network activated, you can stream life video to Facebook or YouTube.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-15
Use props
Nigel S
New

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-15 12:33
Having a Cellular iPad doesn't make it work any better, but it gives you more flight options. ;-)
Follow Me is available, moving your dynamic home point becomes possible. With a cellular network activated, you can stream life video to Facebook or YouTube.

Hi All, Newbie here.

I was using my iphone 6s but wanted a larger screen. Tried the Asus Zenpad S 8 Z580C-B1 as several folks on the forum liked it, but I couldn't get the lag down low enough so sent it back. Was pretty much decided to go with another ios product but before springing for it gave the NVidia Shield a try. At first it too was a bit laggy compared to the iphone, however after deleting as much from it as poss and following advice from many on the forum about tweaking android. It now works very well, so am going to stay with it. Cost me $199.00 from Amazon. Run DJI Go and Litchi just fine.

Nigel S
Phantom 3 Pro
Nvidia Shield
Litchi & DJI Go
2017-1-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules