Defect out of the box?
3716 61 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dickydoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6870 ft
United States

Please keep in mind that I had a GPS lock -- I don't believe that VPS is used for positioning in this mode:

P-GPS: GPS and Vision Positioning both are available. Mavic is using GPS for positioning

2018-1-4
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dickydoo Posted at 2018-1-4 10:26
Please keep in mind that I had a GPS lock -- I don't believe that VPS is used for positioning in this mode:

P-GPS: GPS and Vision Positioning both are available. Mavic is using GPS for positioning

Did you get "the home point has been set, check the map" ?

I always only get "vision" and "atti" modes indoors and both my MP and my MPP hover perfectly in one spot. They drift only  when I'm close to the ceiling, due the rebar in the concrete floor/ceiling for the second level of my home affecting the compass.

I would have thought the GPS signal inside would be inconsistent as the drone moves and it get interfered with, you might get 12 satellites close to a window but move a few feet away and that drops away from my experience, then what happens is GPS disconnects and the drone goes into Atti mode.
2018-1-4
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
Canada

lannes Posted at 2018-1-4 15:57
Did you get "the home point has been set, check the map" ?

I always only get "vision" and "atti" modes indoors and both my MP and my MPP hover perfectly in one spot. They drift only  when I'm close to the ceiling, due the rebar in the concrete floor/ceiling for the second level of my home affecting the compass.

Yes I did get the home point set. I never lost any GPS signal. You can run my flight logs through http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and see for yourself. As I said before, I have a skylight in my roof so there is plenty of access to the sky.
2018-1-4
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
Canada

I’m going to leave on my trip in 8 hours, so thanks for nothing, DJI. I made it clear since I initiated my conversations with support on the 28th that this was urgent. Kent Dizon at support asked me to send the flight logs first to see if it was easy to determine whether it was a defect, but he didn’t get back to me until late today, only to tell me that no one looked at it yet, so I should send it back for diagnosis instead. He said he forgot about my flight tomorrow  even though I reminded him and checked in multiple times this week. I won’t be able to send anything  till after my vacation. Once this case is resolved I will never buy a DJI product again.
2018-1-4
Use props
fans14357bd3
New

Philippines

dickydoo Posted at 2018-1-4 17:41
I’m going to leave on my trip in 8 hours, so thanks for nothing, DJI. I made it clear since I initiated my conversations with support on the 28th that this was urgent. Kent Dizon at support asked me to send the flight logs first to see if it was easy to determine whether it was a defect, but he didn’t get back to me until late today, only to tell me that no one looked at it yet, so I should send it back for diagnosis instead. He said he forgot about my flight tomorrow  even though I reminded him and checked in multiple times this week. I won’t be able to send anything  till after my vacation. Once this case is resolved I will never buy a DJI product again.

Di you have any update sir? I seem to have the same problem
2018-1-25
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
Canada

fans14357bd3 Posted at 2018-1-25 19:50
Di you have any update sir? I seem to have the same problem

They still haven’t gotten back to me about the flight logs I sent them. After I sent Kent from DJI Support my address and purchase information on the 5th, it took him another 4 days to reply and tell me that since I’m in Canada, I should send a request to Vision Up, their Canadian repair centre instead of dealing with DJI directly.  I contacted Vision Up as soon as I returned from my trip and filled in their web form to request service this past Monday, and have yet to hear back from them.  I’ll follow up again in a couple days, and if I don’t hear back I think I have enough ammo to go to my credit card company.
2018-1-25
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
United States

Here's an update on my nightmare experience with DJI Support so far.  I finally got approval to send the drone and remote back to DJI directly after being given the runaround with Vision Up -- it was received by DJI on Feb 13.  It's been 3 weeks and it's been stuck in the "Conducting Damage Assessment" state ever since.  Efforts to contact support periodically for an update go nowhere -- I've been told to wait for an email whenever they are done assessing.  How long is it acceptable to wait for an "assessment"?  

My case number is CAS-1456236-H4T7P4 if support is reading this.  Please help.
2018-3-8
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
United States

Update: They came back after weeks of "data analysis" and approved a repair under warranty, citing a fix for the Rear Left Motor Arm.  I'm assuming this means DJI is finally admitting that there was a defect out of the box.  I tried to get them to give me a refund as soon as this email arrived, but the repaired drone got shipped back anyway.  So I had to spend yet another round of chats and support emails to get them to approve an actual refund, since I initially contacted them 1 day after receiving the drone.  I was refused multiple times had to insist on getting a refund and provide proof after proof that I asked for a refund within 14 days of purchase.  I just shipped the repaired drone and all the retail packaging back today.  Hopefully I will get my money back in the next couple of weeks.

It's been almost 3 months since the incident, which from what I've seen around here is par for the course.  Great job DJI!

P.S. Make sure you document and save all communications with DJI in writing.  They will fight you tooth and nail to get out of supporting you.

2018-3-22
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
Canada

2018-3-22
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

dickydoo Posted at 2018-1-3 13:42
I have also flown my Spark indoors for the initial test and encountered none of these problems.

I did the same thing but not the Mavic. I played with the simulator and I even removed the props. The first time I flew my drone was outside and was very very careful. Didn't go over 30 m and finished within 5 minutes. My hands were shaking and also the environment was not very open.
2018-3-22
Use props
mlamb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140190 ft
United States

What if you use tripod mode indoors?  Would that work better?
2018-3-22
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
Canada

Want to hear another joke?  DJI DECLINED my refund:

Your request for a refund regarding CAS-1588176 has been DECLINED.

Upon inspection of your Mavic Pro our technicians found the unit to be outside of the Refund window. Per policy, you are only eligible for a refund if the product is delivered to DJI within seven (7) calendar days after Return & Refund Service confirmation is sent from DJI. Due to the discovery, the unit does not qualify for a refund.

I shipped the package immediately, the morning after I received the shipping label provided by DJI.  They are rejecting my refund because the shipping company that THEY chose was deemed too slow.
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 6.26.08 PM.png
2018-4-2
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

PM Thor and ask him to escalate.
2018-4-2
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-4-2 15:30
PM Thor and ask him to escalate.

It's already been escalated, but I shouldn't have had to.  Every single step of the way I have been denied and had to escalate to get any traction on what should have been a simple in-warranty return.  If I had purchased this drone at Best Buy, I would have been in and out of the store with a new one the next day.  Instead, it's been over 3 months at this point.  It's really ridiculous.
2018-4-3
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
India

dickydoo Posted at 2018-4-3 06:06
It's already been escalated, but I shouldn't have had to.  Every single step of the way I have been denied and had to escalate to get any traction on what should have been a simple in-warranty return.  If I had purchased this drone at Best Buy, I would have been in and out of the store with a new one the next day.  Instead, it's been over 3 months at this point.  It's really ridiculous.

That's why I always use Amazon when I can. Amazon never gives any grief and you also can dispute through your credit card company. Good Luck!
2018-4-3
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-4-3 06:19
That's why I always use Amazon when I can. Amazon never gives any grief and you also can dispute through your credit card company. Good Luck!

I gave up and filed a dispute with my credit card company.  I figure 3+ months of trying with DJI was enough.
2018-4-6
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

Why would anyone buy from DJI when you can get it at Best Buy and not have to deal with the BS. I would not even buy one from Amazon when you can just get it Best Buy or for the matter Sams Club. You can have her for a month and bring it back. No-brainer.
2018-4-6
Use props
JR86
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2493 ft
Canada

dickydoo Posted at 2018-4-6 06:30
I gave up and filed a dispute with my credit card company.  I figure 3+ months of trying with DJI was enough.

Any updates? I bought a mavic pro from bestbuy on Saturday and it gave me a motor idling error out of the box. Bestbuy doesn't allow for returns of drones. So I suspect I should have bought off Amazon. It's already shipped off for replacement but I'd rather not wait 3 months lol
2018-7-6
Use props
dickydoo
lvl.2
Canada

JR86 Posted at 2018-7-6 15:33
Any updates? I bought a mavic pro from bestbuy on Saturday and it gave me a motor idling error out of the box. Bestbuy doesn't allow for returns of drones. So I suspect I should have bought off Amazon. It's already shipped off for replacement but I'd rather not wait 3 months lol

After I filed a dispute with my credit card company, DJI finally approved the refund.  I guess the nudge from Visa did the trick.
2018-7-6
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Which Drone will you be buying next ?   I know it won't be a DJI how about a EVO or Anafi.
2018-7-6
Use props
JR86
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2493 ft
Canada

Kingram Posted at 2018-7-6 18:24
Which Drone will you be buying next ?   I know it won't be a DJI how about a EVO or Anafi.

I assumed that this was the best company to buy from so I opened up the check book. They were pretty quick to agree to replace it. Too bad it will take a month or more
2018-7-6
Use props
dronto
lvl.4
Singapore

dickydoo Posted at 2018-7-6 15:37
After I filed a dispute with my credit card company, DJI finally approved the refund.  I guess the nudge from Visa did the trick.

Glad to hear that you had your case resolved
2018-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules