Need to register Mavic in the US?
5967 20 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Theppgcowboy
lvl.3
United States

I am confused. Depending on where I search, I get mixed messages. So as a new Mavic owner in the US, and for personal use, is it required? Thanks.
2018-1-3
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

If you are referring to FAA registration in the US I think the answer is yes. See here: https://registermyuas.faa.gov/
2018-1-3
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes that's correct. Needs to be registered.

See link:

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/
2018-1-3
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.3
United States

If  you buy a new drone in the U.S. to fly non-commercially, you no longer have to register your drone with the Federal Aviation Administration, according to a decision issued today by a federal court in Washington, D.C.

The court ruled that the FAA’s drone registration rules, which have been in place since 2015, were in violation of a law passed by Congress in 2012. That law, the FAA Modernization and Reform Act, prohibited the FAA from passing any rules on the operation of model aircraft — in other words, rules that restrict how non-commercial hobbyist drone operators fly.

Now, if a person buys a new drone to fly for fun, they no longer have to register that aircraft with the FAA. But if flying for commercial purposes, drone buyers still need to register.

The lawsuit was won by John Taylor, a model aircraft enthusiast, who brought the case against the FAA in January 2016

The above is what is confusing me.
2018-1-3
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

Mandatory registration, which started at the end of 2015, was put on hold earlier this year over a legal issue. But it was reinstated on December 12 as part of the National Defense Authorization Act signed into law by President Trump.
2018-1-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please refer to the drone regulations in the US, hope it helps. https://www.faa.gov/uas/
2018-1-3
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.3
United States

Question answered. Thanks guys.
2018-1-3
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

People keep mentioning that it's not mandatory anymore but it just got put into effect that you have to have it registered recently. Just pay $5 and slap a label with the serial number inside where the battery is held. It won't be visible and it's pretty straightforward and will save you a lot of headache if a cop starts poking around when you're flying.
2018-1-3
Use props
apeyton
New

Australia

What about non-Americans coming to the USA for a vacation?   Are we required to register our drones in the US even though we don't have a US address?
2018-1-4
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

Theppgcowboy Posted at 2018-1-3 18:09
If  you buy a new drone in the U.S. to fly non-commercially, you no longer have to register your drone with the Federal Aviation Administration, according to a decision issued today by a federal court in Washington, D.C.

The court ruled that the FAA’s drone registration rules, which have been in place since 2015, were in violation of a law passed by Congress in 2012. That law, the FAA Modernization and Reform Act, prohibited the FAA from passing any rules on the operation of model aircraft — in other words, rules that restrict how non-commercial hobbyist drone operators fly.

As others have already pointed out, the above is incorrect. Registration *is* once again required.

See this thread to have all your registration questions answered by the FAA and the AMA.
2018-1-4
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

apeyton Posted at 2018-1-4 03:29
What about non-Americans coming to the USA for a vacation?   Are we required to register our drones in the US even though we don't have a US address?

As per FAA website:

Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA’s online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a “recognition of ownership” document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.
2018-1-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is great information. Thanks guys
2018-1-4
Use props
Air Jorge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1957352 ft
United States

You must register .....not the mavic
2018-1-4
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Theppgcowboy Posted at 2018-1-3 18:09

The court ruled that the FAA’s drone registration rules, which have been in place since 2015, were in violation of a law passed by Congress in 2012. That law, the FAA Modernization and Reform Act, prohibited the FAA from passing any rules on the operation of model aircraft — in other words, rules that restrict how non-commercial hobbyist drone operators fly.

Better get your facts straight before posting.
2018-1-4
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Guys, it's only $5 where talking about here......rather risk it ?
2018-1-4
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2018-1-4 05:02
Guys, it's only $5 where talking about here......rather risk it ?

And the $5 is for every/all of your UAV platforms
2018-1-4
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-4 05:19
And the $5 is for every/all of your UAV platforms

EXACTLY!!!!!
2018-1-4
Use props
apeyton
New

Australia

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2018-1-4 05:02
Guys, it's only $5 where talking about here......rather risk it ?

I think you're right.  I don't want any problems spoiling my vacation!
2018-1-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone registration will also become mandatory in the UK later this year. At $5 for 3 years in the US thats less than 4 cents a week - practically nothing. I hope the UK government charge the same...
2018-1-4
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for all the input guys.
Locoman, I can only assume you did not read the last sentence of that post.

Fly safe
2018-1-4
Use props
JVC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 169229 ft

US$ 5.00 valid for 3 years as of August 31st, 2018. Sds,
2018-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules