Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass calibration
1773 19 2018-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jannistmb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 516161 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey to everyone i would like to know a few more things about the compass calibration.I noticed in the last User Manual of Dji they wrote we should always calibrate if we are flying in different areas with more than 10kmh distance.I have my drone only 10 days and i never did calibration but i read so many different opinions about this many people saying different things.So what is the right thing to do?Calibrate before every flight?In my last drone Parrot bebop 2 tha was often

2018-1-4
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

The right thing to do is what the manual says.
2018-1-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed always follow manual. Don’t risk losing your bird.
2018-1-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, a message will pop up if the compass need to be calibrated, no worries. Read the User Manual for several times, most answers can be found there.
2018-1-5
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

As Susan Says, no need to calibrate unless prompted by the Mavic, My P3P wants me to calibrate pretty much every time I change location.
2018-1-5
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190259 ft
Australia

My last drone was a Bebop 2 as well - big change, huh?
2018-1-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Calibrate when the app tells you. You can also go into advanced general settings - sensors and see how effective the compass is operating - if both are green and therefore excellent why calibrate?
2018-1-5
Use props
Jannistmb
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

thank you all for the help!
2018-1-5
Use props
Jannistmb
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Beeworld Posted at 2018-1-5 03:40
My last drone was a Bebop 2 as well - big change, huh?

Huge change i can say mavic is way more proffesional of course the price has big difference haha but with the bebop always i had problems with the firmware.With the mavic the only problem is the app it crashes all the time sadly!
2018-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Calibration gives the compass the information it needs to determine which magnetic influences are part of the Mavic and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.
The compass doesn't lose calibration and doesn't ever need re-calibration unless you add or remove equipment to/from the Mavic.

Yes of course if app tells you to. I have just come back from travelling I was 1500 miles away from last place I flew I didn’t need to calibrate.
2018-1-5
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-5 09:27
Calibration gives the compass the information it needs to determine which magnetic influences are part of the Mavic and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.
The compass doesn't lose calibration and doesn't ever need re-calibration unless you add or remove equipment to/from the Mavic.

Same as above, just went approx. 150 miles to new location, didn't ask for calibration. From what i;ve witnessed, doing a calibration when not required or prompted to, can increase  the risk of getting a bad calibration.
Last cal. i did was 14 months ago
2018-1-5
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

See below as per the latest DJI Mavic Owners Manual revision page 54.

2018-1-5
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Please note items 1 & 2 in the screenshot above.  This totally negates what most of you are saying.
2018-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-5 09:52
Please note items 1 & 2 in the screenshot above.  This totally negates what most of you are saying.

Maybe you can explain how travelling 10k effects your compass or is it possible now that when flying Mavic past 10k it’s likely to experience compass problems, remember you can fly it up to 12 k.
I think this might be an oversight on whoever prepared that manual.
2018-1-5
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-5 10:00
Maybe you can explain how travelling 10k effects your compass or is it possible now that when flying Mavic past 10k it’s likely to experience compass problems, remember you can fly it up to 12 k.
I think this might be an oversight on whoever prepared that manual.

I doubt it was an oversight because it wasn't in some prior versions.  C'mon Hallmark there's nothing wrong with saying "you were unaware of the change".
2018-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-5 10:04
I doubt it was an oversight because it wasn't in some prior versions.  C'mon Hallmark there's nothing wrong with saying "you were unaware of the change".

I didn’t see it, but I also would need to know why you have to calibrate your compass if moving 10k and does this mean you cannot now fly past 10km without calibration of compass?
2018-1-5
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-5 10:20
I didn’t see it, but I also would need to know why you have to calibrate your compass if moving 10k and does this mean you cannot now fly past 10km without calibration of compass?

I agree...the logic just doesn't make sense.  I would also like to point out the the Spark manual does NOT say this.
2018-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-5 10:23
I agree...the logic just doesn't make sense.  I would also like to point out the the Spark manual does NOT say this.

I know also my 1.6 Mavic Manual doesn’t have it or P4Pro or MATRICE . I remember back to P2 Manual and in this there was also great confusion regarding calibrating I think in the main things are better now. But thanks for the heads up.
2018-1-5
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

It would be good if users KNEW how to properly calibrate the compass.  My app had never called for a calibration, even traveling 7 of 8 thousand miles away ...  BUT, I still do it routinely if I've traveled several hours away.  10 km seems a bit ridiculous. Must be a misprint. 100 km would be more reasonable.  Just guessing, but recalibration might be recommended to account for natural magnetic deviations around the planet.
2018-1-5
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Griffith Posted at 2018-1-5 11:25
It would be good if users KNEW how to properly calibrate the compass.  My app had never called for a calibration, even traveling 7 of 8 thousand miles away ...  BUT, I still do it routinely if I've traveled several hours away.  10 km seems a bit ridiculous. Must be a misprint. 100 km would be more reasonable.  Just guessing, but recalibration might be recommended to account for natural magnetic deviations around the planet.

If it was 10k km then it could make sense but 10 km is BS.
You don't find one single compass which you have to correct each 10 km.
It is other reason for this if its right. It has been messed up by FW like the offline map.
2018-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules