Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Scratched Remote Controller Glass
5126 23 2018-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mz-in-norcal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1005049 ft
United States

I've had my Mavic Pro less than a week, and love it.  

Tonight I took the protective film off the remote controller's glass - I'm weird that way, I sometimes leave these things on for months to keep the glass below pristine.  Well, I was very disappointed to find scratches and scuff marks on that glass.

I don't know how this could have happened.  The Mavic Pro box did not have any sign that it had been opened prior.  The protective film was perfectly placed, so it wasn't like someone had taken the film off and placed it back on after abusing it.  It must have happened back at DJI.

If you too have noticed this issue, let DJI know.  If they care enough to put prtective film on these things, then they care if some of them are going out with scratches.  I reported it to them.
IMG_7065.jpg
2018-1-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

If this is the only issue you have with your Mavic, count your blessings. Some folks have already crashed or had their bird fly away. Disappointing yes but only cosmetic. Have fun and fly safe.
2018-1-4
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Awww youve dunnit know...! I bet it will fly backwards and down when up now youve removed that plastic!
I've still got my plastic on too, it's sort of staying stuck so thought I would leave it on? I'll remember this thread and post when one day I do take it off and see if its scratched.
2018-1-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can buy special micro fibre clothes/mild abrassive solutions that will remove them or at least make them less noticeable. Even toothpaste can work.
2018-1-5
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or try headlight lens cover cleaner...though I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
2018-1-5
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772867 ft
United States

Leaving the plastic on can cause abrasions at least in my experience.  It's typically not designed for long term protection of the screen.
2018-1-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Koia Koia Posted at 2018-1-5 11:06
Leaving the plastic on can cause abrasions at least in my experience.  It's typically not designed for long term protection of the screen.

Agreed - there is a type of resin on the plastic and I imagine if you left it on then this will melt into the RC screen and cause abrasive scratches as it gets warm being used in flight. Seems to be what happened here. In either case, I wouldn't contact DJI support and raise a ticket to return my drone and wait a month to be sent a refurb because of a scratch!
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, I'm sorry for this. Checked with our engineers, it is normal and will not affect the operation, no worries.
2018-1-7
Use props
mz-in-norcal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1005049 ft
United States

Yes it’s merely cosmetic, except for the fact that it makes me think that I got a used or refurbished controller. In which case, maybe it is not cosmetic.

DJI has offered to replace it if I’m willing to be without it for a while. Good customer support, although when it is more serious, I hope they send a good unit before requiring receipt of the bad one.
2018-1-9
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

mz-in-norcal Posted at 2018-1-9 20:13
Yes it’s merely cosmetic, except for the fact that it makes me think that I got a used or refurbished controller. In which case, maybe it is not cosmetic.

DJI has offered to replace it if I’m willing to be without it for a while. Good customer support, although when it is more serious, I hope they send a good unit before requiring receipt of the bad one.

Glad to hear they are willing to work with you. I always take that plastic off everything right away just for that reason. After I removed mine , I actually got cell phone protective plastic and cut it to shape and size of remote screen. Been working like a charm.  Hope this idea helps someone out there. Good luck with your decision on remote & Happy safe flying!
2018-1-9
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This happened to someone I know. In the end they put a screen protector (yes, the irony) and now you can't see it.
It just sucks because you know it's there but I don't think anyone else will notice.
2018-1-26
Use props
FredFM
lvl.2
Germany

Same issue here. Any solution where to get a replacement part? Amazon, Ebay (did not find anything yet), DJI Dealer, DJI Spare Parts Department?  
2018-12-14
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

this and some masking tape to keep the dust out of places you don't want it when polishing... is all that you need .. for the type-a's that can't stand a couple scuffs...

https://www.meguiars.com/automot ... g12310-10-oz-liquid

2018-12-14
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I somehow got a much worse scratch on mine. I bought a screen protector for it because I know this is the best way to hide scratches and it protects against more scratches. When I got the kit, I used the sticky film it came with to remove any dust that may have been on the screen and an already applied screen protector came off. My remote came with a screen protector already and that’s what I had scratched. The screen protector had a protective film over it as well.  I recommend buying a screen protector.  When it arrives, check to see if you don’t still have another protective layer that can be removed.
When I zoom in to the image you posted, I believe I can see the edge of a protector around the right button. I don’t think your screen is even scratched. It’s a protective layer that can be removed. Use some tape to see if you can pull off an additional layer. I would wait for a replacement protector to do it though.
2018-12-14
Use props
FredFM
lvl.2
Germany

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-14 06:35
this and some masking tape to keep the dust out of places you don't want it when polishing... is all that you need .. for the type-a's that can't stand a couple scuffs...

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-plastx-clear-plastic-cleaner-polish-g12310-10-oz-liquid

Thanks Deuce,

I already polished the scratches out and they are gone. The problem is, the plastic glass has a layer. Maybe anti-reflection or something. So the spot where the scratches wherer has no layer anymore

I think a replacement and later protection with a sticky film is due
2018-12-14
Use props
FredFM
lvl.2
Germany

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-14 06:35

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-plastx-clear-plastic-cleaner-polish-g12310-10-oz-liquid

Thanks Deuce,

I already polished the scratches out and they are gone. The problem is, the plastic glass has a layer. Maybe anti-reflection or something. So the spot where the scratches wherer has no layer anymore

I think a replacement and later protection with a sticky film is due
2018-12-14
Use props
FredFM
lvl.2
Germany

FredFM Posted at 12-14 09:54
Thanks Deuce,

Found one on ebay. Complete Top Cover incl. glass. Ships from Hongkong for $16
2018-12-14
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

FredFM Posted at 12-14 09:54
Thanks Deuce,

interesting find.. there is an anti glare or some other film on there.. good to know...

2018-12-14
Use props
FredFM
lvl.2
Germany

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 12-14 11:10
interesting find.. there is an anti glare or some other film on there.. good to know...

Yep. Do NOT polish it when scratched
2018-12-14
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
United States

FredFM Posted at 12-14 13:54
Yep. Do NOT polish it when scratched

let us know how the screen replacement goes..
2018-12-14
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is just ridiculous, next will be fingerprints on the box
2018-12-14
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am almost positive I can see the edge of a screen protector in your photo. Did you try putting some masking tape near the edge of the screen and then pulling up to see if anything lifted up?
2018-12-15
Use props
FredFM
lvl.2
Germany

Lucas775 Posted at 12-14 22:40
This is just ridiculous, next will be fingerprints on the box

Well, usually it would be ridiculous when you want to keep that stuff. But as I am selling my drone again and want to keep it in good shape. I would not buy used equipment myself when it is beaten up, scratched, borked...
2018-12-16
Use props
FredFM
lvl.2
Germany

Well,

the spare part from China arrived today. It was packed in a original DJI pack so I suppose it is not a cheap counterfeit part. It also looks, feels and fits like the original part.

PRE CAUTIONS #1:
When your RC is still under warranty, DO NOT open the RC or put your hands on the device. It is likely that warranty is lapsed otherwise!

PRE CAUTION #2:
When you are a Black Smith, maybe consider changing the parts on your RC. When you have great fine mechanics skills and great tools to do the work you can try.
Tools needed. Hex screw driver, a good/small philips screwdriver, a plastic chip of some sort to ply the casing open, maybe some tweezer (for the joystick springs later on and adjust the small tapes inside the screen)

Basicaly to open the RC I followed this youtube:

Now the thing:

The new glass comes protected with a the default factory screen outside and a black and blue sticker on the inside. The black sticker has to be removed first. After removing it you will see that there is a little black frame what has to get back to the inside of the glass again. This holds the little silber screen cable afterwards. Before you get the black screen tape on, remove another slight blue screen protector foil. Use tweezers maybe to grap all the parts and align them. After the black frame is postioned and the silber screen cable is on again go over to the next step.

The new glass comes with the complete top housing, and the plate around the USB port, the buttons but without the joysticks. The joysticks are not connected via cables inside but have to be moved to the new housing. This is a critical step because the little philips screws holding the joysticks are monster tight! Use a good srewdriver to open them, use the correct size or you will damage the heads.

Now the next step is to move the joysticks to the new cover. Watch for 3 little parts:
The two black plastic spacer rings and the spring setting your stick back into zero position.
The spring has to be installed so the open ends show towards you, upright. The plastic clamp then holding the spring in position.

As the new plastic housing never did see a screw before fitting the screws to the new housing will be double monster tight!
So I widen the holes abit with a mini drill. Look to get one and "slightly" widen the holes. In this way the screws will be a better fit.

Put everything together again, power on the RC to see all works.. ready to go!

2018-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules