what to do without OTG cable (EU country)
2260 34 2018-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jukov
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38563 ft
Slovakia

Can I solve the problem with low range connection in EU with a new mobile phone, which will support 5.8 GHz wifi? If yes, can you recommend any particular brand or type of an Android phone?

Many thanks
2018-1-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello there, may I know what's the current range you can get? I'd suggest to switch to 2.4G and adjust the antennas to see whether it helps. As for the recommended mobiles, please check here: https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads
2018-1-7
Use props
TudorD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 832480 ft
Romania

No one of the recomanded Android phones will be guaranted compatible with Spark because, as discuted here, the 5.8Ghz band it is not allowed in Europe. With an Apple product  you will increase your range as DJI Susan sugested but you will break the law. The only legal use of Spark in EU, in this moment, is with OTG and and app version .14 or .15.
2018-1-7
Use props
jukov
lvl.2
Slovakia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-1-7 19:25
Hello there, may I know what's the current range you can get? I'd suggest to switch to 2.4G and adjust the antennas to see whether it helps. As for the recommended mobiles, please check here: https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads

my rage is around 70 m.
50 m is very safe. personal max is 112 m

mobile is Moto g4, can't connect with RC on 5.8

When I switch RC-drone to 2.4, I cant see RC wifi on my phone anymore

I\m thinking not to buy new mobile phone, but small Crystalsky. Would it solve this distance problem?

Thank you for your assistance

2018-1-7
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

I flight in the EU with WiFi and I have pretty good range. I mostly flight 300m.

The most important aspect is to avoid other WiFi network or perturbations ( microwave, ...)
2018-1-7
Use props
jukov
lvl.2
Slovakia

Arnor Posted at 2018-1-7 21:57
I flight in the EU with WiFi and I have pretty good range. I mostly flight 300m.

The most important aspect is to avoid other WiFi network or perturbations ( microwave, ...)

the problem is that my mobile phone can't connect with RC on 5.8 Ghz

but maybe I'm doing something wrong

2018-1-7
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12730 ft
Germany

i dont know where this BS comes from that 5.8GHz is illegal in Europe. It is perfectly legal otherwise we would not have any 5.8GHz Wifi. The Problem is its only authorized for indoor use (even up to 1W depending on the channel). Outdoors you are limited to to 25mW !!! Channels 143, 153, 157, 161 and 165 only !!!
so please stop saying 5.8GHz is illegal!

Back to topic. if you need to increase the range you have to switch to 2.4GHz. In CE mode you are allowed up to 100mW. Thats the only way in Europe how to legally maximize your range.
I dont have problems switching to 2.4GHz any mobile with wifi should be able to pick that up, unless there is a lot of interference from other Wifi, but im using iPhone after all, read that android gives a lot of problems, at least more than iOS, but i cant confirm nor disprove this at the moment, waiting for an Android mobile to test it...check this videso maybe it helps:

At the moment i would suggest either get an iPhone or Crystalsky to minimize problems like that, still check interferences and switch off Bluetooth. Some even suggest to put the mobile in flight mode and then switch back on Wifi only.

good Luck !
2018-1-7
Use props
TudorD
lvl.4
Romania

helmarw Posted at 2018-1-7 22:28
i dont know where this BS comes from that 5.8GHz is illegal in Europe. It is perfectly legal otherwise we would not have any 5.8GHz Wifi. The Problem is its only authorized for indoor use (even up to 1W depending on the channel). Outdoors you are limited to to 25mW !!! Channels 143, 153, 157, 161 and 165 only !!!

Sorry not 5.8 is illegal in EU but wifi on 5.8 is illegal, previous discussions in this forum:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-120954-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-100550-1-1.html

Using your iPhone outside with a Spark you put in danger other civil usages for this frequency as weather radars.

The 5.8Ghz is legal for SRD, indoor use, but Spark uses WiFi and it is a little disappointing but very challenging to fly indoor.
2018-1-7
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

i dont know where this BS comes from that 5.8GHz is illegal in Europe. It is perfectly legal otherwise we would not have any 5.8GHz Wifi. The Problem is its only authorized for indoor use (even up to 1W depending on the channel). Outdoors you are limited to to 25mW !!! Channels 143, 153, 157, 161 and 165 only !!!

Stop saying nonsense here .. You obviously do not know about the problem .. Read here https://forum.dji.com/thread-120954-2-1.html and here https://forum.dji.com/thread-121396-1-1.html .. Spark 5.8Ghz WiFi is illegal in EU.. All of my claims are based on ETSI documents.
2018-1-7
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Germany

I stand corrected Spark uses 5 725 MHz to 5 875 MHz which is authorized for ISM, and Wifi is not "considered" ISM, spezifically SRD" short-range devices",
which is of course rather stupid to have a multirotor as short range device, doesnt make it illegal just not very useful.
I dont have time to read through all that s.. stuff here, i just know a "little bit" about CE and its a bloddy waste of time in the EU lately, at least in the area im working in, lots of changes in the last year
and even the notified bodys have problems applying all that cr... usefully, just my 5 cents
but regarding ISM, It seems to be common practice to use Wifi protocol for those frequencys, not only DJI, for a good reason its limited to 25mW
And the notified bodys have to somehow balance and test if this is a problem (legally and technically) for every single spezific device under test.
In the case of Spark the notified body they used did not seem to have a problem with that, Spark has CE after all.
So no in the case of Spark i dont see any legal problems ...

And regarding other devices outside: all communications equipment operating in these bands must tolerate any interference generated by ISM applications, and users have no regulatory protection from ISM device operation...  There is a very good reason why the e.i.r.p is limited to 25mW for this 5.8GHz ISM Band in the EU

what pi.. me of here was the unspecific, incomplete and incorrect repetition of some other threads like "...the 5.8Ghz band it is not allowed in Europe..." which is in fact not true!

2018-1-8
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

helmarw Posted at 2018-1-8 00:19
I stand corrected Spark uses 5 725 MHz to 5 875 MHz which is authorized for ISM, and Wifi is not "considered" ISM, spezifically SRD" short-range devices",
which is of course rather stupid to have a multirotor as short range device, doesnt make it illegal just not very useful.
I dont have time to read through all that s.. stuff here, i just know a "little bit" about CE and its a bloddy waste of time in the EU lately, at least in the area im working in, lots of changes in the last year

Please state your statement with ETSI, otherwise everything is what you say nonsense. Again, I say that Spark is neither SRD nor ISM (industrial, scientific and medical). RLAN WiFi 5Ghz is specified in http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi ... _301893v020007a.pdf and you can see WiFi in EU end on 5725Mhz...
2018-1-8
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Germany

this regulation has not been applied to Spark: https://d15bfve0bne4ko.cloudfront.net/Spark/Spark.pdf
2018-1-8
Use props
Raploc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22598 ft
Netherlands

helmarw Posted at 2018-1-8 01:07
this regulation has not been applied to Spark: https://d15bfve0bne4ko.cloudfront.net/Spark/Spark.pdf

That last sentence made me chuckle a bit:

All RF parameters
(e.g., RF power, frequency) are not accessible to end users and cannot be changed by any third
parties.

Seeing that you could simply use NLD to set the tx to 27 dBm instead of the CE limit tells me that this failsafe is a very soft restriction.
2018-1-8
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

I hope you understand that the declaration of conformity is written by the manufacturer himself and he can write what he wants ... Otherwise, Dji is trying to declare Spark for SRD but it is impossible !!! RLAN WiFi 5Ghz is specified here: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi ... _301893v020007a.pdf NOT HERE: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/300400_300499/300440/02.01.01_30/en_300440v020101v.pdf
2018-1-8
Use props
TudorD
lvl.4
Romania

Spark alone can be operated within EU reglementations using only 2.4. The problem apear when we are using the remote controller. Where is the declaration of conformity for Spark with remote?
2018-1-8
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Germany

i still dont see the point of this illegal 5.8GHz discussion, what do you intend to achive with that?
Should DJI just disable 5.8GHz band all together?!  DJI tried to find the smallest common denominator regarding 5.8GHz and they got a FCC and CE label for that, didnt they ?!
25mW does not harm anything, cant even reach out by more than 50m, since you have to fly at least 100m away from any bulding, crowd etc (dont you do that?), so whats the problem here?
Beeing right does not mean you'll get justice but if you are so 100% sure that DJI is violating the law, why dont you sue them or at least file a complaint witch the european commission ?!

And of course you should NOT change the tx to 27dB while in Europe. THAT is defnitely illiegal and DJI is NOT responsible for your actions.
2018-1-8
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Germany

TudorD Posted at 2018-1-8 02:00
Spark alone can be operated within EU reglementations using only 2.4. The problem apear when we are using the remote controller. Where is the declaration of conformity for Spark with remote?

here it is: https://d15bfve0bne4ko.cloudfron ... _Fly_More_Combo.pdf
and all others too:
https://www.dji.com/de/euro-compliance
2018-1-8
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Germany

Arcicorsa Posted at 2018-1-8 01:57
I hope you understand that the declaration of conformity is written by the manufacturer himself and he can write what he wants ... Otherwise, Dji is trying to declare Spark for SRD but it is impossible !!! RLAN WiFi 5Ghz is specified here: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi ... _301893v020007a.pdf NOT HERE: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/300400_300499/300440/02.01.01_30/en_300440v020101v.pdf

no its not written by the company. To get a CE label your device has to be tested and confirmed by a notified body.
opposed to a so called "declaration of conformity", yes this the company can write themself.

for the SPARK the notified body was:
The notified body, Bay Area Compliance Laboratories Corp.(BACL), notified body number: 1313, performed the EU-type examination in according with Annex III, Module B of Council Directive 2014/53/EU, and issued the EU-type examination certificate: B1703213

2018-1-8
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

TudorD Posted at 2018-1-7 22:43
Sorry not 5.8 is illegal in EU but wifi on 5.8 is illegal, previous discussions in this forum:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-120954-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-100550-1-1.html

"Using your iPhone outside with a Spark you put in danger other civil usages for this frequency as weather radars."

That is only true, if the device can't autochange this channels.
Which the Spark and the RC are capable of.
First because DJI is telling, second by, wait for it:
It got "CE-registration"!
2018-1-8
Use props
Raploc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22598 ft
United Kingdom

helmarw Posted at 2018-1-8 02:07
i still dont see the point of this illegal 5.8GHz discussion, what do you intend to achive with that?
Should DJI just disable 5.8GHz band all together?!  DJI tried to find the smallest common denominator regarding 5.8GHz and they got a FCC and CE label for that, didnt they ?!
25mW does not harm anything, cant even reach out by more than 50m, since you have to fly at least 100m away from any bulding, crowd etc (dont you do that?), so whats the problem here?

Are (most) Apple devices are registered as a SRD? That could explain their capability in CE regions to connect to 5.8Ghz channels. Android devices are likely not, seeing that I cannot connect to channels higher then 140 in NL. I agree with you that if they got this certified as a SRD that its stupid at best. About the range, its simple some people want to be able to fly about 500 meters out and now they can't.

If I'm able to crank up the TX power yet the CE certification deliberately states that I cannot through any means (third party software) then that's never been fully tested or according to a FDA auditor who gave us a lecture, a lie.
2018-1-8
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

helmarw Posted at 2018-1-8 02:11
no its not written by the company. To get a CE label your device has to be tested and confirmed by a notified body.
opposed to a so called "declaration of conformity", yes this the company can write themself.

From your comments it is clear that you have no idea what you are talking about... Look at the CE document from Dji please and tell us which EU office has it released... You will see that it is published by Dji himself... CE and declaration conformity is the same!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking ..
2018-1-8
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Germany

oh jeah, im only doing that for a living, thats pointless here, just continue putting your head in the sand
citing wikipedia wtf:        
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)
This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2011)

CE and "conformity declaration" still are NOT the same (not talking about FCC declaration of conformity)
read the actual CE certificate for the Spark and you will find the notified body

2018-1-8
Use props
BobD
lvl.3
Germany

We Radio Amateurs say that "CE" means "China Exports"  There are documented cases where Chinese companies provided units which were certified, but the actual production units had components removed to cut costs and no longer conformed.  I DO NOT ACCUSE DJI OF DOING THIS.
2018-1-8
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

helmarw Posted at 2018-1-8 03:00
oh jeah, im only doing that for a living, thats pointless here, just continue putting your head in the sand
citing wikipedia wtf:        
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)

You are completely out of... Read here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/bus ... e-mark/index_en.htm

Quote from document:
To affix the CE marking to your product, you must put together a technical dossier proving that your product fulfils all the EU-wide requirements. As the product's manufacturer, you bear sole responsibility for declaring conformity with all requirements. Once your product bears the CE marking, you might have to provide your distributors and/or importers with all the supporting documentation concerning CE marking.
2018-1-8
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Germany

maybe you should read everything, not only the parts which supports your false claims

3. Check whether your product must be tested by a Notified Body
For some products, special conformity assessment bodies ('Notified Bodies') must verify that your product meets the specific technical requirements. This is not obligatory for all products. Use the "Nando" database to identify which Notified Body to contact in your case.
( dont have time to waste checking the databaese, but im pretty sure all RF emitting devices have to be tested by a notified body!)

4. Test your product
If your product doesn't need to be verified by an independent body, then it is up to you to check that it complies with the technical requirements. This includes estimating and documenting the possible risks when using your product.
(those test can be done by the manufacturer, if he is ISO certified and has the appropriate expertise, of course it needs to be documented, alternatively there are companies which can do that for you, usually the batter choise)

5. Compile the technical dossier
Your technical dossier should include all the documents that prove that your product complies with the technical requirements.

6. Affix the CE marking and draft a declaration of conformity
Finally you can affix the CE marking on your product. The marking must be visible, legible and indelible. If you had to involve a notified body in step 3, you should also put the identification number of this body on the product. You must also draft and sign an EU declaration of conformity stating that your product meets all legal requirements.

In Sparks CE report it states:
The notified body, Bay Area Compliance Laboratories Corp.(BACL), notified body number: 1313,
performed the EU-type examination in according with Annex III, Module B of Council Directive
2014/53/EU, and issued the EU-type examination certificate: B1703213
So yes they used a notified body and did not just fill it out them selfes.
never the less i agree that as the product's manufacturer, you bear sole responsibility for declaring conformity with all requirements.
I never disputed that.
But Its always a good practice no matter if you require it or not to get your product tested by a notified body. DJI did that, so my question is still what do you expect to achieve here ?!
should DJI pull it of the market, disable 5.8GHz ?!
if Spark is in violation with the law, you should not use it and if you own it you should destroy it immediately!

2018-1-8
Use props
TudorD
lvl.4
Romania

helmarw Posted at 2018-1-8 04:21
maybe you should read everything, not only the parts which supports your false claims

DJI must provide EU Wi-Fi channels for EU as the remote controller seems hardware capable or provide OTG support in EU in order to prevent 5.8 usage.
Until than I personally prefer 4.1.15 with OTG.
2018-1-8
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Czechia

helmarw Posted at 2018-1-8 04:21
maybe you should read everything, not only the parts which supports your false claims

OK you right. I agree that Dji had CE authorization from Bay Area Compliance Laboratories Corp. (BACL). However, it does not change that RLAN WiFi 5Ghz can not be certified as SRD in the EU... RLAN WiFi 5Ghz must be specified according to ETSI EN 301 893 V2.0.7... Unless you show me an ETSI document that clearly says that RLAN WiFi 5Ghz in UE can be specified as SRD device I take your comments as pointless and I say that the device was erroneously certified.

I do not want Dji to forbid the 5Ghz WiFi in the EU but I want Dji to make the device conform to the ETSI EN 301 893 V2.0.7 standard. I conducted a survey and found that the heart of the RC are QCA6006 (comunication RC - Android) and AR9342 (comunication RC - quad) communication chipset.. Both circuits know the entire band 5Ghz. The whole problem is to modify the FW.. Nothing more, no need for HW modification.. This is a communication cipset configuration problem...
2018-1-8
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Germany

dream on, thats not gonna happen, at least not for the Spark at hand, but maybe they hear you and the next version of the Spark will be, if there will be any new one ...
2018-1-8
Use props
ygalion
lvl.1
Latvia

i dont know where this BS comes from that 5.8GHz is illegal in Europe. It is perfectly legal otherwise we would not have any 5.8GHz Wifi. The Problem is its only authorized for indoor use (even up to 1W depending on the channel). Outdoors you are limited to to 25mW !!! Channels 143, 153, 157, 161 and 165 only !!!

Yes 5.8 is ok for EU, 5.6 is not, correct. Issue for android comes that impossible to use low channels (phone do not find spark wifi), but even with high channels and remote control, spark loose connection (Aircraft disconnected) sometimes even close to drone. Have tested everything, but only with no iPhone, need to get it and than will be able to fully tell where is the issue. Others say that having iphone will give you almost no issues, but guess apple is paying for better app version.
2018-1-9
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

ygalion Posted at 2018-1-9 00:22
Yes 5.8 is ok for EU, 5.6 is not, correct. Issue for android comes that impossible to use low channels (phone do not find spark wifi), but even with high channels and remote control, spark loose connection (Aircraft disconnected) sometimes even close to drone. Have tested everything, but only with no iPhone, need to get it and than will be able to fully tell where is the issue. Others say that having iphone will give you almost no issues, but guess apple is paying for better app version.

No, 5,8 is not OK for EU. It is ment for Short Ranged Devices only and that most definitelly does not include the Spark. Read the entire thread. That's also the reason why no phone ment for the EU market supports this band (the only exception are iPhones and some Samsungs but that's because they are not specifically for the EU). It's all here already...
2018-1-9
Use props
ygalion
lvl.1
Latvia

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-9 01:28
No, 5,8 is not OK for EU. It is ment for Short Ranged Devices only and that most definitelly does not include the Spark. Read the entire thread. That's also the reason why no phone ment for the EU market supports this band (the only exception are iPhones and some Samsungs but that's because they are not specifically for the EU). It's all here already...

So using remote controller which should work till 2km, but it can not more then 20m because of 5.8ghz short range? How am i suppose to achieve those 2km then if 2.5 ghz could not be found.

And i know that there is already in thread, i am writing with hope that devs will notice it and let other know
2018-1-9
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

ygalion Posted at 2018-1-9 01:50
So using remote controller which should work till 2km, but it can not more then 20m because of 5.8ghz short range? How am i suppose to achieve those 2km then if 2.5 ghz could not be found.

And i know that there is already in thread, i am writing with hope that devs will notice it and let other know

I only reacted because you wrote that 5,8 GHz is ok. It is not as this band is banned in the Europe with the exception of the Short Ranged Devices (like indoor routers). How the iPhones managed to get the CE certification still eludes me completely.

As to your problem with 2,4 GHz. It is also explained many times on this forum. First of all, 2km range is for the US (FCC), for the Europe max advertised range is 500m and the only way (well, except of getting an iPhone..) how you can get close to that at this point is to use DJI GO 4 app 4.1.15 that still supports (unoficially but it works) the OTG cable. Then you can use the 2,4GHz band for the RC-Spark and in my case, I get about 400m range with this combination.
2018-1-9
Use props
ygalion
lvl.1
Latvia

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-9 02:43
I only reacted because you wrote that 5,8 GHz is ok. It is not as this band is banned in the Europe with the exception of the Short Ranged Devices (like indoor routers). How the iPhones managed to get the CE certification still eludes me completely.

As to your problem with 2,4 GHz. It is also explained many times on this forum. First of all, 2km range is for the US (FCC), for the Europe max advertised range is 500m and the only way (well, except of getting an iPhone..) how you can get close to that at this point is to use DJI GO 4 app 4.1.15 that still supports (unoficially but it works) the OTG cable. Then you can use the 2,4GHz band for the RC-Spark and in my case, I get about 400m range with this combination.

I will try to fly with lowest frequency i can get on 4.1.15 with otg, all other do not help.
And that is commercial displacement for range and marketing... So that why DJI has a bad customer reputation outside US.

Here are all values for my country, that are allowed, included 5.8 but it sucks
26990-27000        kHz
27040-27050        kHz
27090-27100        kHz
27140-27150        kHz
27190-27200        kHz
34,995-35,225 MHz
40,660 -40,990 MHz
433.05 - 434.79 MHz
863 - 870 MHz
2400 - 2483.5 MHz
5725 - 5875 MHz

2018-1-10
Use props
helmarw
lvl.3
Germany

jukov Posted at 2018-1-7 21:35
mobile is Moto g4, can't connect with RC on 5.8

When I switch RC-drone to 2.4, I cant see RC wifi on my phone anymore

I\m thinking not to buy new mobile phone, but small Crystalsky. Would it solve this distance problem?

i just got a relatively cheap android phone (ulefone power 2) for testing purpose.
i could not connect first to my spark using wifi. I mean i could connect to the RCs access point (only 2.4GHz but, no 5.8)
but DJI GO4 was reporting disconnected. Wifi manger says connected, still no way to fly.
OTG is working with v4.15 and with 4.22 with the known issues.
After some testing i found out that i had to simply disable mobile data. When i do so DJI GO4 finally
connects to the spark using wifi... very strange behavior ...
Didnt do any flying or range tests yet, bad weather ...
2018-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules