Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DTL555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177313 ft
  • >>>
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hi,

This is my very first post in this forum. I'm owner of Spark Combo, just for two weeks. I read a lot about first time flying with Spark, and I saw a lot of tutorials on YouTube about it. I'm learning about Spark and drones generally for more than a month now (I started with "learning" before I decided to buy it), I read Spark manual for few times already, and I do practice simulator flying in the DJI Go 4 app (even it can be stupid for somebody). Because of weather conditions, I flied only once in Beginners mode.

I'm reading this forums post every day, and I understand different kind of problems, discussions and practices, which are or aren't recommended. But I noticed some miss matching instructions, which I would like to resolve:

1. In Spark manual v. 1.6 (31/10/2017) is written - DO NOT calibrate compass if app don't ask you to do it. OK!
   But on official DJI HELP site 15 Tips For Beginner Drone Pilots and 10 Drone Safety Tips for a Safe Flight is clearly stated that I should calibrate compass before almost every flight,
   especially if I change locations. So what is OFFICIAL DJI recommendation?

2. In the same manual are pictures about positioning of the Spark for compass calibration, where on the second part of procedure gimbal is faced down (to the land/floor). But in DJI Go
    4 app same part of procedure is shown with gimbal in side position. Which position is correct one?

3. Even I'm not a technological expert, when I put my Spark on perfectly flat surface with 0 inclination, Spark without propellers is angled for 5 degrees. If I return propellers, angle is
    around 3 degree. In DJI Go 4 app, IMU calibrating procedure is shown without propellers, also in official DJI YouTube tutorial.
    But in some logical sense, does it should be less angled, for better gyro calibration?

And one (probably very stupid) question more: Does simulator flying in DJI Go 4 app imitate ATTI mode flying (without wind of course) in any way?

Thanks for support
2018-1-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome!
1. General consensus is to only calibrate the compass when the app advises to do so. If you feel more confident doing it at each flight location then do so carefully. The new calibration could cause more harm than good if near interference.
2. Either sequence is fine. I find pointing the camera down rather than on its side places less stress on the gimbal motors during the calibration
3. Calibrate the IMU without the props on. A small variance is fine and won’t cause drift but if the drone arms itself whilst your doing work on the drone at home you’ll be glad you removed the props...
4. No. There is no ATTI switch on the Spark. ATTI mode is automatically engaged by the drone when GPS signal is lost and VPS is out of range. You can not simulate it. Flyers have been asking for an ATTI mode switch on the Spark and Mavic for months now.
2018-1-5
Use props
DTL555
lvl.3
  • >>>
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Thanks a lot!
2018-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is no need to calibrate your compass unless app tells you to, if you get a warning to move your aircraft or calibrate always move location first and start again.
Regards moving to new locations, I’ve just come back from a trip to Sweden from Ireland , before flying I check compass in both Mavic and Spark and both were fine no calibration needed. I will leave a link below which will help preparation for flight missions.

The rest of your questions have been answered very well by ACW who has plenty of experience.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2018-1-5
Use props
DTL555
lvl.3
  • >>>
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Yes, I think that this procedure is very useful. 30 second or 2 minutes (its not important) procedure, just to be on safe side, is much better than to lose a drone. If fly time is important, just buy one extra battery. I followed this procedure on my first flight, I lost less than a minute for this.
2018-1-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No probs - and I’m impressed you’ve read up and are taking flight safety seriously in your preparation  - that’s why you’re asking these very thought through questions and not ‘where’s why drone’ or ‘why did it crash’!
2018-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules