OTG Cable (Hoping a DJI Engineer Will Weigh In Here)
2343 22 2018-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

The YouTube is LITTERED with videos claiming that an OTG cable connection will improve the FLIGHT DISTANCE of a Spark.  I contend that while it may improve the video transmission on your phone (especially if you are in a rural or otherwise signal-dense environment), it will not improve range.  

I suspect that some may have come to this conclusion by doing comparison flights with and without the OTG cable.  They think that because their Spark WITH CABLE has went farther without a blip in the video signal that the cable is making their Spark go farther.  I think that is a flawed conclusion.

While I do suspect that the OTG cable can improve and stabilize the video signal, it cannot, should not and will not improve flight distance.  And while I expect lots of folks to tell me that I am full of it, I will only be disabused of my position if a DJI engineer tells me I'm full of it.

DJI ENGINEERS:  AM I FULL OF IT?

2018-1-5
Use props
warubikku
First Officer
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
United States

I see this all the time too, and i try to wrap my head around it because it makes no sense.
The cable is merely a connection to your phone or device for viewing, not making or reducing the signal sent or received from the spark.
When you use the actual spark controller vs just a phone on wifi, that is the signal difference because obviously wifi will never go as far as a 2.4 or 5.8 ghz signal.
Simple test for this will be to just use the controller itself and make a flight with your spark using no phone or tablet connected, then make a flight as normal with a screen connected, see what one starts to RTH first, then review the flights once you upload them.
2018-1-5
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

warubikku Posted at 2018-1-5 07:53
I see this all the time too, and i try to wrap my head around it because it makes no sense.
The cable is merely a connection to your phone or device for viewing, not making or reducing the signal sent or received from the spark.
When you use the actual spark controller vs just a phone on wifi, that is the signal difference because obviously wifi will never go as far as a 2.4 or 5.8 ghz signal.

People are doing similar tests, but they are relying on one flight.  If you REALLY want a test, you need to do several flights and average them.
2018-1-5
Use props
Raploc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22598 ft
Netherlands

warubikku Posted at 2018-1-5 07:53
When you use the actual spark controller vs just a phone on wifi, that is the signal difference because obviously wifi will never go as far as a 2.4 or 5.8 ghz signal.

The cable will enable me to use the 2.4ghz connection between the rc and my spark. I can't use 5.8Ghz (do a forum search), 2.4Ghz wifi has a greater range because of the longer wavelength. Furthermore the max tx power used by the rc here on 2.4Ghz wifi is 18dBm (63 mW) compared to the 14 dBm (25 mW) of the 5.8 Ghz. With here I mean in the EU. So 2.4 has a greater range due to its wavelength and allowed tx power.
2018-1-5
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

I've said this all along, all the cable does is connect the phone to the remote. It can have no effect on the connection from the Spark to the Remote, as that will still be wifi. My opinion is the OTG  cable acts as a placebo effect. Been flying without the cable for the last few months and have been fine with it.
2018-1-5
Use props
Raploc
lvl.3
Netherlands

jksphoto Posted at 2018-1-5 08:47
I've said this all along, all the cable does is connect the phone to the remote. It can have no effect on the connection from the Spark to the Remote, as that will still be wifi. My opinion is the OTG  cable acts as a placebo effect. Been flying without the cable for the last few months and have been fine with it.

So a power difference of 38mW is a placebo effect? Not to mention the longer wavelength of the 2.4Ghz that isn't as easily absorbed as 5Ghz. Ok then I'm doing something wrong with my own WIFI network at home. My 2.4Ghz is set at 6 dBm and my 5Ghz at 20dBm, yet somehow both signals have almost the same strength at the other side of my house. Must be the placebo effect I'm seeing.
2018-1-5
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

The otg cable is used as an unofficial workaround for the many phones that can’t properly connect to the 5.8GHz rc.
All it does, is replace a 5cm long wifi link. Such a short wifi link requires very little power, and has nothing to do with the rc<->spark range.
2018-1-5
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

People! Please try to reread attentively and calmly what Raploc is trying to tell You. You are speaking different language yet.
The further flight distance is most important for CE countrees
2018-1-5
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
United Kingdom

Agreed. I have no problem with my iPhone 6s with 5.8ghz
2018-1-5
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

As many threads stated before in certain eu markets -using WiFi connection precludes the use of the 2.4 band for rc to ac communication-limiting it to 5.8 ghz band at much lower power ratings as well as lower range on higher frequencies giving the user ranges of 50 meters etc..

As you also stated video lag and dropout are also reduced using a wired connection- as well as faster downloads of media to phone

There is no arguing a wired connection is more robust and stable than any wireless solution - especially since it has been functional since product inception up until about a month ago
2018-1-5
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
United States

Raploc Posted at 2018-1-5 09:01
So a power difference of 38mW is a placebo effect? Not to mention the longer wavelength of the 2.4Ghz that isn't as easily absorbed as 5Ghz. Ok then I'm doing something wrong with my own WIFI network at home. My 2.4Ghz is set at 6 dBm and my 5Ghz at 20dBm, yet somehow both signals have almost the same strength at the other side of my house. Must be the placebo effect I'm seeing.

Well stated, wish more understood about signal strength at different frequencies and the range issues
2018-1-5
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
United Kingdom

dansmar Posted at 2018-1-5 09:31
Well stated, wish more understood about signal strength at different frequencies and the range issues

I understand signal strength. My point is, the OTG cable improves connection to the remote. How is it possible that it changes the connection between the remote and the craft. Nothing changes. The only way you can change the connection between remote and Spark is to hardware them together with a wire, surely all that will do is limit flight distances.  
2018-1-5
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5384 ft
Ireland

HI Bob. I was confused by this also and recently started another thread where plenty of heplful iunfo cleared it up.
The OTG cable does not make it fly farther. BUT - The RC has (or used to have) 2 methods to connect to phone. OTG and Wifi. When it connects by WIfi, in Europe it can only connect to the phone by 2.4GHz. The phone will not accept a 5.8GHz connection. So now the RC is connected to phone by 2.4 it is forced to connect to the Drone by 5.8GHz which is a much weaker connection that the 2.4. Ideally we would want the RC to connect to the phone by 5.8 (because distance is not an issue) and then connect to the drone with the 2.4 which has a further reach here in Europe.
So for our US friends - NO the OTG connection will not make your drone go further.
In Europe if we can connect our phones by OTG to the RC - then that allows the choice of 2.4 or 5.8 to connect to the Drone.
Hope that helps to clear it up. By the way, thats my simple understanding of it - guys like Raploc and others certinally have a better grasp and deeper understanding than me of the more technical details, but I think thats the basic summary.
2018-1-5
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
United Kingdom

Which phone are you using. My Spark always connects at 5.8 GHz and I’m also in the UK.
2018-1-5
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Obviously, there is a difference in range between 2.4 and 5.8.  That is not the gain that people are reporting via OTG cable.   NOW, maybe the default band out of the box is 5.8 and the unit switches to 2.4 in the presence of an OTG cable.  But this is not the claim of the "rangers."
2018-1-5
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
United States

BobUnplugged Posted at 2018-1-5 10:05
Obviously, there is a difference in range between 2.4 and 5.8.  That is not the gain that people are reporting via OTG cable.   NOW, maybe the default band out of the box is 5.8 and the unit switches to 2.4 in the presence of an OTG cable.  But this is not the claim of the "rangers."

Again read the posts - in certain eu countries the AC and RC will only connect at 5.8 because the phone is forced to use the 2.4 band hence limiting distance - the key is the link from the rc to the AC is forced to 5.8 at a lower power

Thus limiting range…

It's great that it doesn't effect you, but it's important to respect our European users who are now limited to 50m and less range
2018-1-5
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dansmar Posted at 2018-1-5 11:09
Again read the posts - in certain eu countries the AC and RC will only connect at 5.8 because the phone is forced to use the 2.4 band hence limiting distance - the key is the link from the rc to the AC is forced to 5.8 at a lower power

Thus limiting range…

I respect everyone until they prove unworthy.  That's not what I'm talking about.  Video after video on YouTube claims that the signal via OTG cable is so superior to the WiFi signal that they get increased range.

Now, if the Spark automatically switches from 5.8 to 2.4 upon connection of an OTG cable, that could explain an increased range.  But that's not the claim these folks are making.

By the way, the videos I saw were US videos.
2018-1-5
Use props
Raploc
lvl.3
Netherlands

BobUnplugged Posted at 2018-1-5 11:15
I respect everyone until they prove unworthy.  That's not what I'm talking about.  Video after video on YouTube claims that the signal via OTG cable is so superior to the WiFi signal that they get increased range.

Now, if the Spark automatically switches from 5.8 to 2.4 upon connection of an OTG cable, that could explain an increased range.  But that's not the claim these folks are making.

US videos, now he tells us. I don't know if an otg cable improves the range/video signal in this case.  But the burden of proof is on them for claiming this. In an CE region the difference is clear, as long as you can't connect to the rc on the 5.8Ghz frequency.
2018-1-5
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

I think BobUnplugged is correct about the inability of an OTG connection to increase the range of controlled flight. But it's kind of a technicality that doesn't really address the issue. I live in the US and I'm fortunate to have plenty of open and interesting space around me to fly my Spark. However, once the drone gets more than 500 ft away it is very difficult to see and I control the flight using the video transmission. If I'm connected to the controller via Wi-Fi I experience tremendous video lag - on the order of 3 to 4 seconds even when the drone is within 20 ft, and for some reason that I don't understand I lose video signal altogether at 1000 ft (and over 200 ft elevation). I'm simply not comfortable flying the drone via FPV with that kind of lag. If I connect via the OTG cable, I have a good video signal with no lag at well over 3000 ft (and 300 ft elevation). I haven't yet ventured more than 3000 ft, but I suspect the drone could go a full mile. So, while the actual range may not increased by using the OTG, my comfortable flying range is significantly improved. I am using an old Galaxy S5 phone as my mobile device and I suspect the lag might be due to the capability of the phone to process the data; nevertheless, OTG solves the issue.
2018-1-5
Use props
Dunes09
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41736 ft
United States

Since it seems like there pretty knowledgeable folks in this thread, I will ask a noobie question. When I’m on the GO App, does the WiFi signal strength indicator in the upper right show the connection strength and frequency to the RC or AC when using an RC?

2018-1-5
Use props
Chances
lvl.1
Flight distance : 360984 ft
Australia

When the remote and phone connect via wifi your going to drown out (a little) the signal trying to get from the quad to the hand controller.

In theory of course... but its like running a small wifi router right next to you when your flying your quad at distance.

Using the OTG and putting the phone into airplane mode will leave this "5cm" wireless connection offline, thus improving the received signal quality from the drone - there's no wifi next to you spewing out a video signal to the phone anymore.

On top of all that, why would you bother with a wireless connection when you can simply use a cable and be MUCH more reliable.

Just my 2c... never used the wifi connection, 1st thing I brought was an OTG cable and got my head around connecting it (not too hard when you plug it in the right way! )
2018-1-5
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
United States

If your issue is with people on YouTube why not question them directly, no one in this forum is agreeing with those so called you tube videos

They are explaining the range limitations due to WiFi in certain eu nations and the more stable and robust video signal they get with otg
2018-1-5
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5Q
lvl.2

United States

I respect everyone until they prove unworthy.  That's not what I'm talking about.  Video after video on YouTube claims that the signal via OTG cable is so superior to the WiFi signal that they get increased range.

many reasons why a cable even if it has a slower connection will be prefered over wireless.  

1. is not competing in same spectrum for bandwidth.  if your phone is using wifi off the controlla nd the controller is using wifi to communicate to the spark, that creates an unneeded  amount of spectrum competition.  thus reduced signal reliability and reduces range potential specially on phones and devices that spew out higher amount of energy which can further exaggerated this.

2. is using OTG (or most any wired connection) is lower latency connection, regardless what anyone says, that's how it is, wifi has a longer decode and encoding process that gets bypassed with a cable.

3. on OTG you can pick 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz and get full output power or bypass restrictions and limitations on your phone/tablet.  also as stated less direct spectrum competition and more power and longer wavelength..

4. i purchased 5 DJI sparks with controllers and OTG cables for my friends kids over the holidays. i have gotten to play with them and i can personally confirm that with OTG (and phone in airplane mode) the connection retains reliability for a longer distance.  as for range that is a toss up.. i however will stand by the connection reliability claim.  i have flown many flights with the spark (the kids wanted me to race with them) without OTG once the spark gets outside the the park area it has connection issues (tons of wifi in the area), with OTG it has no issues.  also with 5 sparks up in the air, side by side, you will instantly agree OTG is the way to go, without it gets crunchy and laggy quickly!
2018-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules