Stuck Landing Gear - Firmware Bug STILL not solved?
1707 9 2018-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

As many Inspire 2 pilots know, the landing gear can become stuck in the raised position, and people have either had to "catch" their Inspire 2 drones in mid-flight (not safe) or else crash land the Inspire 2 and break the camera and gimbal.  In fact, the problem is a firmware problem and DJI have still not fixed it according to tests I did using the very latest firmware today.  The problem, its cause and a workaround were reported on Inspire Pilots forum by Jason Boucher on January 20, 2017, and this is an extract from what Jason said at that time:

"The Cause.

If you have the landing gear set to automatic, and you slowly land the  Inspire while the gear is in the raised position the gear will start  coming down.  If you happen to give the drone throttle while the gear is  coming down, the drone thinks you are no longer interested in landing,  and then causes the gear to STOP and stay in whatever position it is at.     I have also a few times see it stop going down, even if you continue  to try and land.

Toggling the landing gear up and down via the remote switch does  NOTHING.. no matter how often you do it.  So what do you do?   Its  actually very simple

The Solution

Raise the Inspire to about 20 or 30 feet in the air,  In the DJI Go 4  app press the Autoland button, and then slide the slider to the  right.... The drone will begin to decent, but oh no.. the landing gear  still doesn't come down...   Toggle the bird from GPS mode to ATTI  mode... the drone will then stop and hover in place..  Once it starts  hovering toggle the landing gear switch on the RC up, and then Down.    The landing gear will then begin to lower and allow you to land"

2018-1-5
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

The software fix required to the "automatic landing gear" function is as follows:

IF "automatic landing gear" is selected THEN
       IF the pilot aborts a landing attempt while the landing gear is not fully raised or lowered and the altitude is greater than 3.9 meters, THEN fully raise the landing gear.
       IF the pilot presses "raise" or "lower" landing gear switch, then override "automatic landing gear" setting and go to manual control.
2018-1-5
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can assure you that the fault many of us have experienced is NOT firmware related, its hardware related are requires a replacement worm-gear servo - and a little lubrication!
Forget about auto landing gear, use the lever on the RC to lower the landing gear..

Kind regards
Allan
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Rob, for Inspire 2, landing gear issue is usually hardware or settings related, such as the servo or screw lever is stuck, the central board does not supply power, landing gear control on RC is malfunction, flight height is not reading correctly and so on.
If you encounter the same issue, please keep us updated, thank you.
2018-1-6
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

If it is software related, Rob, will you be able to recreate this stuck landing gear situation?
2018-1-6
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-6 01:25
Hi Rob, for Inspire 2, landing gear issue is usually hardware or settings related, such as the servo or screw lever is stuck, the central board does not supply power, landing gear control on RC is malfunction, flight height is not reading correctly and so on.
If you encounter the same issue, please keep us updated, thank you.

i have the same issue with the lading gear screw stuck i have to unscrew-it a bit and it was fine and working
2018-1-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Mafia16 Posted at 2018-1-6 05:04
i have the same issue with the lading gear screw stuck i have to unscrew-it a bit and it was fine and working

Yes, it works sometimes, glad to know you find out the resolution.
Happy flying.
2018-1-7
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

allanart Posted at 2018-1-5 09:35
I can assure you that the fault many of us have experienced is NOT firmware related, its hardware related are requires a replacement worm-gear servo - and a little lubrication!
Forget about auto landing gear, use the lever on the RC to lower the landing gear..

I had a work gear motor failure. got it fixed and am up and running again. Good, to the point post.
2018-1-15
Use props
JustWilder
lvl.1

Sweden

Just for some new information regarding this.

We have an Inspire 2 at work that broke. the landing gear got stuck in the up position so our pilot had to land it on the gimbal cam... duh! but it ended up at my table and after some fiddling without any previous experience  of the inspire 2 i got it to move up and down a couple of times before it got stuck again. At first i assumed it was some kind of sensor that didn't report the position of the landing gear correctly but after visually trying to locate any sensors my focus got drawn to the worm drive servo at the top. After disassembling the servo i found a burnt out mosfet, one out of three. this is the Alpha & Omega 4616 mosfet. I ordered a couple of them and replaced the damaged one inside the servo. This got part of the problem solved. The servo worked but only for a short time so i suspected some kind of heat issue.  After some more testing and error and trial i ended up thermally coupling the controller chip in the servo to the servo chassi with a copper block and some cpu thermal compound. I did the same with the mosfets just for good practice. And now the servo and landing gear works as it should again.

What i discovered during my testing was that this servo uses no sensors at all. It is a continuous servo that stops automatically based on load. The inspire's main board has nothing to do with this.
with other words if it wasn't for the worm drive bottom out and stopping the servo this servo would just continue rotating in one or the other direction forever. I'm not surprised this servo will overheat overtime and stop behaving. I would suggest putting some cooling in this servo in preventive manner. It WILL fail sooner or later otherwise.

I hope this helps someone repairing their Inspire 2 and save some money.
2018-9-10
Use props
Nicksons
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2668717 ft
Argentina

JustWilder Posted at 2018-9-10 17:43
Just for some new information regarding this.

We have an Inspire 2 at work that broke. the landing gear got stuck in the up position so our pilot had to land it on the gimbal cam... duh! but it ended up at my table and after some fiddling without any previous experience  of the inspire 2 i got it to move up and down a couple of times before it got stuck again. At first i assumed it was some kind of sensor that didn't report the position of the landing gear correctly but after visually trying to locate any sensors my focus got drawn to the worm drive servo at the top. After disassembling the servo i found a burnt out mosfet, one out of three. this is the Alpha & Omega 4616 mosfet. I ordered a couple of them and replaced the damaged one inside the servo. This got part of the problem solved. The servo worked but only for a short time so i suspected some kind of heat issue.  After some more testing and error and trial i ended up thermally coupling the controller chip in the servo to the servo chassi with a copper block and some cpu thermal compound. I did the same with the mosfets just for good practice. And now the servo and landing gear works as it should again.

I had a similar problem, my problem was a leaking motor, oil all over the electronics, well you can imagine what happened to the circuit. Just changed the servo, gear works fine now...
2018-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules