GoPro cuts hundreds of jobs in its drone division

2018-1-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not really surprising.  I’m quite ok with being “stuck”.
2018-1-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

The karma drone sucks anyway. I’m ok with being stuck as well.
2018-1-5
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I'm cool with being stuck
2018-1-5
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

A okay with that too ! DJI rules !
2018-1-5
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Looking forward  to the Mavic II  
2018-1-5
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2018-1-5 17:19
Looking forward  to the Mavic II

Especially after the disappointing Spark
2018-1-5
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

No hope that Autel, GDU, Yuneec, etc...will come out with something competitive?    Frankly, I'm tired of DJI's lack of software quality control....and I freakin' HATE the Mavic gimbal.   The only way I'm buying another DJI drone is if the P5 comes out with a removable/replaceable gimbal & cam.

LP
2018-1-5
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-1-5 17:25
No hope that Autel, GDU, Yuneec, etc...will come out with something competitive?    Frankly, I'm tired of DJI's lack of software quality control....and I freakin' HATE the Mavic gimbal.   The only way I'm buying another DJI drone is if the P5 comes out with a removable/replaceable gimbal & cam.

LP

+1 I actually think the DJI drones are great, it's DJI Go 4 that is causing all the problems, they should do a complete rewrite instead of patching it.

If your worried about software, why don't you try Litchi

Also Epson is coming out with it's own flight software with special features for it's  BT-300  AR glasses, all us owners are waiting in hope that we don't have to rely on DJI Go 4 anymore when using them
2018-1-5
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

My frustration with DJI is because I got one of the Mavics with a defective camera assembly, so almost a quarter of the image is out of focus as compared to the rest. That isn't the problem though. The problem is, is that DJI cannot be trusted to fix my Mavic because they are known to just replace units, or just send them back unfixed. What they should do it send me a replacement camera assembly so I can repair it myself. The technology is outstanding, but this single issue has me looking to the future for someone else to buy from.
2018-1-5
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

LeafPeeper Posted at 2018-1-5 17:25
No hope that Autel, GDU, Yuneec, etc...will come out with something competitive?    Frankly, I'm tired of DJI's lack of software quality control....and I freakin' HATE the Mavic gimbal.   The only way I'm buying another DJI drone is if the P5 comes out with a removable/replaceable gimbal & cam.

LP

Competition is good for the industry. I think the closest competitor is Autel who has a booth at CES so it will be interesting to see what they have.
2018-1-5
Use props
David_
lvl.3
United States

I don't know how many are noticing this but there is an ever-increasing suite of restrictions that are gradually squeezing the life out of your drone. You can't fly higher than 500m, but anyone else with any other drone can. You are forced to update the aircraft's firmware, but other drone autopilot systems don't restrict you in this way. You are forced to login at least once, so they can tie your personal information to your flight history and relay that info to law enforcement agencies using products like DJI's AeroScope. Although the mavic can fly 20mph up and down and 50+ mph laterally, you are forced to fly much slower. You are forced to land at 10% battery but other drones aren't. You are forced to take stupid quizzes to fly, but others aren't. You are forced to comply with made-up no fly zones but others aren't.

The problem is that DJI is taking its problems (i.e. the FAA and inept drone pilots) and pushing those problems onto you, the customer by adding restrictions to something you own. Technically, you are better off having as many options as possible and should get the full features and capabilities available from your aircraft. Should you bear these made-up restrictions just because DJI needs to account for the fact that some of their customers are inexperienced kids and are still in the process of realizing they don't know how to fly an RC aircraft well?

The solution is to 'jailbreak' the mavic and free it from DJI's authoritarian grip. Look for the user digdat0 on youtube. His videos are clear and simple. I downgraded to version 1.03.0700 on the mavic, down to DJI GO 4 4.0.8 on the iPad mini 4, and down to DJI Assistant 1.1.2 on the PC (for custom settings modifications). Now all limitations are removed. No login requirement at all, no altitude limit, adjustable speed limits in all directions (20mph up and down for example, 50+ mph horizontal), no forced landing, no sending of my data to anyone, no NF zones, no quizzes, and no forced updates. Now the drone works like it is supposed to.
2018-1-5
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer
United States

I love my Mavic!

If anyone isn't happy with DJI, they are free to buy something else.
2018-1-5
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Personally, I have nothing to complain about. I love my MP and do not understand all the outbreaks of anger in this forum.
2018-1-5
Use props
Pelomixa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 166014 ft
United States

yeah, SUCKS doesnt it....
2018-1-6
Use props
Bucefalo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

David_ Posted at 2018-1-5 20:58
I don't know how many are noticing this but there is an ever-increasing suite of restrictions that are gradually squeezing the life out of your drone. You can't fly higher than 500m, but anyone else with any other drone can. You are forced to update the aircraft's firmware, but other drone autopilot systems don't restrict you in this way. You are forced to login at least once, so they can tie your personal information to your flight history and relay that info to law enforcement agencies using products like DJI's AeroScope. Although the mavic can fly 20mph up and down and 50+ mph laterally, you are forced to fly much slower. You are forced to land at 10% battery but other drones aren't. You are forced to take stupid quizzes to fly, but others aren't. You are forced to comply with made-up no fly zones but others aren't.

The problem is that DJI is taking its problems (i.e. the FAA and inept drone pilots) and pushing those problems onto you, the customer by adding restrictions to something you own. Technically, you are better off having as many options as possible and should get the full features and capabilities available from your aircraft. Should you bear these made-up restrictions just because DJI needs to account for the fact that some of their customers are inexperienced kids and are still in the process of realizing they don't know how to fly an RC aircraft well?

yes..let em add this note-.
is just like you buy your NEW CAR and just later you " discover " you can not drive 1km away from your home.. or you can't go faster than 50kmh just cause they decided so!
you have your CAR you are 100% responsible ! you have your drone and you MUST BE 100% responsible ! so... unleash your drone , be free:
2018-1-6
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know how many are noticing this but there is an ever-increasing suite of restrictions that are gradually squeezing the life out of your drone. You can't fly higher than 500m, but anyone else with any other drone can. You are forced to update the aircraft's firmware, but other drone autopilot systems don't restrict you in this way. You are forced to login at least once, so they can tie your personal information to your flight history and relay that info to law enforcement agencies using products like DJI's AeroScope. Although the mavic can fly 20mph up and down and 50+ mph laterally, you are forced to fly much slower. You are forced to land at 10% battery but other drones aren't. You are forced to take stupid quizzes to fly, but others aren't. You are forced to comply with made-up no fly zones but others aren't.

The problem is that DJI is taking its problems (i.e. the FAA and inept drone pilots) and pushing those problems onto you, the customer by adding restrictions to something you own. Technically, you are better off having as many options as possible and should get the full features and capabilities available from your aircraft. Should you bear these made-up restrictions just because DJI needs to account for the fact that some of their customers are inexperienced kids and are still in the process of realizing they don't know how to fly an RC aircraft well?

Sounds like more hate for DJI than you are having fun.

You could REALLY teach DJI a lesson, sell all your DJI drones and walk way. Avoid the rush...

BTW I hear GoPro is having a sale.

Life just sucks if you let it. I'm just glad to be, here.
2018-1-6
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also have 2 Magic’s, both at .700, fully unlocked.i also have a phantom 4 advanced fully unlocked. I also have an older version of litchi. Hats off to digdat0 and the rest of the gang....im as happy as a pig in mud...
2018-1-6
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

If you want the highest performance, speed/acceleration, production all electric car, you only have Tesla.
Not sure what point you are trying to make..??
You buy a product that meets your requirements, if it's only DJI, you have a choice.?

1. Buy It
2. Modify your requirements.

I'm not a DJI Fanboy, The Mavic just matched my requirements.
2018-1-6
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2018-1-6 05:14
I also have 2 Magic’s, both at .700, fully unlocked.i also have a phantom 4 advanced fully unlocked. I also have an older version of litchi. Hats off to digdat0 and the rest of the gang....im as happy as a pig in mud...

There you go, my friend, make chicken salad...
Seek what makes you happy, the negative energy some people insist on sharing could be put toward positive, happier outcomes.

Hell, I'd much rather hear somebody brag how they overcame Goliath. Hack their software, kick your dog, but move past your anger, it's not becoming of you.

Way too many victims of those corporate Jerks.
Nobody gets frustrated more than I do, then, I accept the challenge to kick Goliath in the nuts.
2018-1-6
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Oh, yea. Party on...
2018-1-6
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Me too! gosh I love the Mavic
2018-1-6
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-1-6 05:57
There you go, my friend, make chicken salad...
Seek what makes you happy, the negative energy some people insist on sharing could be put toward positive, happier outcomes.

I made the comment around 3 years ago for everyone to enjoy the “Wild West days” of drones because they would eventually becoming to an end but I had no idea how accurate that comment was... DJI is regulating the fun right out of the hobby and when all the fun is gone so are there big sales numbers...just my 2 cents....
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Competition is good as it keeps the market leaders innovative, products advanced and pricing fair. There is no major competition but DJI still deliver on all three counts and thats probably why there remains no real competition but they know the smaller companies could bring out a top seller at anytime so that keeps them on their toes I guess. I admire companies that try but this latest GO PRO update is not a shock. The Karma was poor!
2018-1-6
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I currently have a Spark, Mavic and P4P, happy with all of them. Flew my brother-in-law's Typhoon H, wasn't impressed. I'll stick with DJI, be interesting to see what's next.
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-6 12:34
I currently have a Spark, Mavic and P4P, happy with all of them. Flew my brother-in-law's Typhoon H, wasn't impressed. I'll stick with DJI, be interesting to see what's next.

I have/had the same three (plus a P3P and all 3 Mavic's) - which one is your favourite drone if you had to choose?
2018-1-6
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-6 12:57
I have/had the same three (plus a P3P and all 3 Mavic's) - which one is your favourite drone if you had to choose?

Love them all equally. The Spark I got specifically to fly indoors in bad weather, the Mavic is a great compact travel drone and the P4P is for when I need a better quality camera.
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-6 13:50
Love them all equally. The Spark I got specifically to fly indoors in bad weather, the Mavic is a great compact travel drone and the P4P is for when I need a better quality camera.

I totally agree with all of that! Had to sell all of mine bar one as have a baby son so kept the Mavic Platinum. Love it!
2018-1-6
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Must be an American thing, as we don’t have the quiz here. Updates are up to you to install. As for the height restrictions, the law here restricts you to 120m anyway. I feel in some way the restrictions are there to make DJI’s drones legal in as many countries as possible, with country specific restrictions. So if you want fewer restrictions, lobby your law makers; so far the Australian drone laws are commen sense based.
2018-1-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-5 22:50
Personally, I have nothing to complain about. I love my MP and do not understand all the outbreaks of anger in this forum.

really hope it never happens to you - but wait till you start getting app problems  - then you gonna understand
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-6 14:34
really hope it never happens to you - but wait till you start getting app problems  - then you gonna understand

What device are you using and what GO 4 app version?
2018-1-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

i rather be stuck with dji than without it or any equally good drone producer - i am a dji fan but i suffer very much from app issues and the fact that the app issues are always blamed on everything else eg, cables, environmental conditions etc.
2018-1-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-1-6 14:40
What device are you using and what GO 4 app version?

I always update to the latest version, currently says v4.1.22

My devise is sony z3 which was on the recomended list but then unannounced fell of the list.
However even devices that are on the recommended devices list there are many devices that actually have problems (per another thread - android devices)
I would make the investment to another device but how to know what to get if even the phones on their recommended list do not work?
A recent update fixed my previous problems but now with the new update i am having pixilation problems again - it will make you wanna scream.
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-6 15:05
I always update to the latest version, currently says v4.1.22

My devise is sony z3 which was on the recomended list but then unannounced fell of the list.

Thought as much. I use an iPhone 7+ - I don't have any issues at all with the app.
Android is compatible but if you look on the back of the box your drone came in is states 'made for Apple' and that the app is optimised for the 7+.  
2018-1-6
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I normally keep all mine at current version, until now. Spark and Mavic are, Phantom 4 Pro, I rolled back to previous. If you have the camera looking straight down and move the AC sideways with the right stick, the image on the tablet/phone flips upside down.
2018-1-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-1-6 15:12
Thought as much. I use an iPhone 7+ - I don't have any issues at all with the app.
Android is compatible but if you look on the back of the box your drone came in is states 'made for Apple' and that the app is optimised for the 7+.

i asked the question to dji what phones do their engineers use - thinking that if it is exclusively apple then thats the way i have to go - however it turns out that many are android users, so i am happy about that and now only wish to know what phones they use so that i can get one of those too.

2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-6 15:37
i asked the question to dji what phones do their engineers use - thinking that if it is exclusively apple then thats the way i have to go - however it turns out that many are android users, so i am happy about that and now only wish to know what phones they use so that i can get one of those too.

LOL - that doesn't surprise me. Yeah, CrystalSky (DJI's own thousand dollar monitors) are Android too. Though the amount of app issues I see on here from Android users is unbelievable and I don't get why as I never have app issues on my 7+ except once - when IOS 11.1 caused app crashes a few weeks back but thats it and was quickly fixed with 11.2.
2018-1-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-1-6 15:41
LOL - that doesn't surprise me. Yeah, CrystalSky (DJI's own thousand dollar monitors) are Android too. Though the amount of app issues I see on here from Android users is unbelievable and I don't get why as I never have app issues on my 7+ except once - when IOS 11.1 caused app crashes a few weeks back but thats it and was quickly fixed with 11.2.

it is this inconsistency in their logic and their replies that has me stumped.

BTW - you got no goggles?....seriously??
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-6 15:48
it is this inconsistency in their logic and their replies that has me stumped.

BTW - you got no goggles?....seriously??

No googles LOL Technically illegal in the UK
2018-1-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-1-6 15:49
No googles LOL Technically illegal in the UK

technically illegal here too..
it will depend some of course on where you live and how you fly - so maybe they are not for you - but try a pair fist chance you get - for me they have been as revolutionary to my flying experience and my filming potential as the mavic itself.
has also saved me a few times during app crashes - goggles stayed linked.
2018-1-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules