Well, I guess we're stuck with DJI
2978 48 2018-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_
lvl.3
United States

PHL Posted at 2018-1-6 14:32
Must be an American thing, as we don’t have the quiz here. Updates are up to you to install. As for the height restrictions, the law here restricts you to 120m anyway. I feel in some way the restrictions are there to make DJI’s drones legal in as many countries as possible, with country specific restrictions. So if you want fewer restrictions, lobby your law makers; so far the Australian drone laws are commen sense based.

Technically there is a speed limit on the roads but do you want your car physically stopping you from going over them?  It looks like you are using that same flawed logic to accept DJI's restrictions.
2018-1-6
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

I wouldn't consider it stuck with DJI since I made the choice to purchase from DJI. I seriously considered the GoPro Karma and was excited when it came out. However, with GoPro's strategy and closed ecosystem, I decided to steer way from them.

I think competition is good, I"m sorry to see Karma go but I'm honestly not surprised.
2018-1-6
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

why would gopro name their first drone "karma" anyway.
2018-1-6
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

David_ Posted at 2018-1-6 18:41
Technically there is a speed limit on the roads but do you want your car physically stopping you from going over them?  It looks like you are using that same flawed logic to accept DJI's restrictions.

Is the height restriction in the US at the maximum legal limit? Here the default limit is quite a bit higher than what is legal, so I have to drop the limit after every update, where it defaults to 200 or 250m.
2018-1-7
Use props
Iversonmatthew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 505889 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't mind being stuck really.. but I'm going on my 4th.. yes that's right 4th Mavic Pro Platinum. I just wish I could get a fully working, non-defective one.
2018-1-7
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-1-5 18:50
+1 I actually think the DJI drones are great, it's DJI Go 4 that is causing all the problems, they should do a complete rewrite instead of patching it.

If your worried about software, why don't you try Litchi

My two biggest issues are the software (sorry, NO iOS for me), and the gimbal.   I use Litchi and Drone Harmony, but again, I do it at my own risk given that if I lose the drone, DJI won't help because of the lack of logs.   I'd rather have GOOD, SUPPORTED code.    As for the gimbal, the horizon tilt, tilt after gimbal cal, difficulty of replacement and fragility of it all just bugs the hell out of me.

LP
2018-1-8
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2018-1-5 21:53
I love my Mavic!

If anyone isn't happy with DJI, they are free to buy something else.

Stating the obvious ....

This thread would be boring if it was full of DJI lovers!

I'm in the 'competition is good' camp.  DJI would be much more overpriced than they are already if it didn't have any competition, most of us would not be in the position to be able to afford much of what they produce.

I like my Mavic to a degree, I didn't like my original Phantom however,  having others to consider makes life more interesting in my view.

2018-1-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2018-1-6 10:55
I made the comment around 3 years ago for everyone to enjoy the “Wild West days” of drones because they would eventually becoming to an end but I had no idea how accurate that comment was... DJI is regulating the fun right out of the hobby and when all the fun is gone so are there big sales numbers...just my 2 cents....

Good points there. I can see this hobby developing into a more professional level and even niche market within the next 5 years. Deliveries by drone, more drones used by police and security forces and the need to pass stringent tests just to fly 100' up etc but the days of a 15 year old opening a Spark at Christmas and flying it 400' in the air on Boxing day only to wonder why it flew away by the new year will end soon enough. Is that a bad thing? Nah, not really.
2018-1-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-8 09:53
Good points there. I can see this hobby developing into a more professional level and even niche market within the next 5 years. Deliveries by drone, more drones used by police and security forces and the need to pass stringent tests just to fly 100' up etc but the days of a 15 year old opening a Spark at Christmas and flying it 400' in the air on Boxing day only to wonder why is flew away by the new year will end soon enough. Is that a bad thing? Nah, not really.

Agreed in full.  
2018-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules