Mavic 2 at CES 2018 ?
12Next >
15732 48 2018-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9bc52d2b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Do you think DJI will announce the Mavic 2 at CES next week?
Single SelectVote, Total 104 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

8.65% (9)
62.50% (65)
18.27% (19)
10.58% (11)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-1-6
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

I voted maybe...
I think you need a 4th option
"Variant of MP1"
So not a version 2, maybe a "Plus Model"
2018-1-6
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I voted no I think the Platinum Pro was like the plus model as it is a lot quieter (a bit more difficult to spot if you lose LOS I used to rely on the noise as well!) and last quite a lot longer yet they are still making the first gen one and now in white!

Its possible I suppose but seeing as there isn't a lot of competition around for it they might just make the Platinum Set up the standard and offer some different colours for the range (maybe a better camera model version with a bigger sensor!

Id be gutted along with a lot of others who have just bought the platinum!
2018-1-6
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or some other updated platform
2018-1-6
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2018-1-6 05:47
I voted no I think the Platinum Pro was like the plus model as it is a lot quieter (a bit more difficult to spot if you lose LOS I used to rely on the noise as well!) and last quite a lot longer yet they are still making the first gen one and now in white!

Its possible I suppose but seeing as there isn't a lot of competition around for it they might just make the Platinum Set up the standard and offer some different colours for the range (maybe a better camera model version with a bigger sensor!

"Maybe a better camera"

That's what I would call a Plus+ model...
Just an incremental change

An MP2 to me would be:
Better camera
Better Gimbal, bit more robust
Better battery, just break the 30mins flight time
Better landing gear, small folding legs, so it's still compact.
Better lights, like "Strobon's". (With the On/Off option)
Silicone boots around folding arms to give it some more moisture protection

my 2 peneth...
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too voted no. DJI won't cannibalise their own products having only just launched the Mavic Platinum (which is a kind of Mavic 2) and the 'Apple Exclusive' Alpine white - I don't think Apple will be very pleased if they bring out a product that will affect the alpine sales so soon after launch and as we know, Apple is a MASSIVE client of DJI.
2018-1-6
Use props
fans9bc52d2b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-1-6 04:08
I voted maybe...
I think you need a 4th option
"Variant of MP1"

Thanks, I have now added that
2018-1-6
Use props
fans9bc52d2b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2018-1-6 05:47
I voted no I think the Platinum Pro was like the plus model as it is a lot quieter (a bit more difficult to spot if you lose LOS I used to rely on the noise as well!) and last quite a lot longer yet they are still making the first gen one and now in white!

Yes I understand why you would be annoyed. But with tech of today, your lucky to have to top model for more than 6 months before an updated version is out. The platinum edition has already been around for nearly 4 months. If the Mavic 2 comes out, a price drop in the Mavic 1 will follow.
2018-1-6
Use props
fans9bc52d2b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-1-6 08:29
I too voted no. DJI won't cannibalise their own products having only just launched the Mavic Platinum (which is a kind of Mavic 2) and the 'Apple Exclusive' Alpine white - I don't think Apple will be very pleased if they bring out a product that will affect the alpine sales so soon after launch and as we know, Apple is a MASSIVE client of DJI.

Like any product life cycle. If the Mavic 2 come out a price drop in the Mavic 1 (platinum and alpine) will follow. It will not cannibalize there product as the price drop will make the Mavic 1 more affordable to a whole new customer base. The Mavic 2 will just become there most expensive drone in the line again. Also the alpine white is a winter edition. By the time Mavic 2 is ready to ship...it will not be winter.
2018-1-6
Use props
fans9bc52d2b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-6 06:26
Or some other updated platform

To update what's already out will be to update the camera and gimbal. Which essentially will be a Mavic 2.
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Alpine launched a month ago - RRP of the original Mavic returned to its original price a few days ago. DJI will not introduce a product (yet) that will force them to significantly price drop their recently released new products or, as the Phantom 4 Pro did to the original Phantom 4, discontinue the product line completely so soon after launch. That is why I (and the clear majority who have so far voted) do not think an ‘M2’ will be released anytime soon. And even if we’re wrong expect a three-month wait for delivery after placing your order anyway and hopefully not a defective unit being a first batch beta customer. The Platinum had a huge waiting list and the batteries for it are already out of stock - so why reduce the price of a product that is selling like hot cakes at it's current price by releasing another upgrade so soon? That doesn't make business sense! That's canibalisation of your own product base. We would have probably seen an M2 over Xmas if the Platinum was a flop but it's an outstanding success. I think the M2 will be launched when stock of the M1 (and it's recently upgraded versions) are sold OR a competitor releases something that actually challenges DJI's position in the personal drone market.
2018-1-6
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans9bc52d2b Posted at 2018-1-6 08:48
To update what's already out will be to update the camera and gimbal. Which essentially will be a Mavic 2.

I was referring to possibly a P5 or god forbid an updated Spark.  Though I probably should have stayed on topic.
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-6 09:29
I was referring to possibly a P5 or god forbid an updated Spark.  Though I probably should have stayed on topic.

I agree with that - I can see a P5 well before an M2 but your guess is as good mine.
2018-1-6
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans9bc52d2b Posted at 2018-1-6 08:42
Yes I understand why you would be annoyed. But with tech of today, your lucky to have to top model for more than 6 months before an updated version is out. The platinum edition has already been around for nearly 4 months. If the Mavic 2 comes out, a price drop in the Mavic 1 will follow.

Yep granted but the delay in getting the PP out has been a ball ache for alots of us so hasn't really been out in the market for very long in usage terms, Tech is ever evolving and its good business to keep new models under wraps to maintain the sales. The price reduction of the current models when a new one comes out doesn't drop a massive amount, if a new one does come out it would be strange why they released the PP as they might as well kept the new ESC's and Rotor for the newest model, unless the PP will become the standard for Mavic's and the Mavic 2 will have even better motors, rotors, camera etc... and they have already run out of parts for the standard Mavic so were forced to release the PP as an interim model because it was using the new parts! (All speculative of course)
I reckon they will hold off till maybe Christmas next year unless a rival manufacturer drops a bombshell but that will take some doing!

DJI is the Apple of the drone world so its like waiting for a new IPhone announcement just with Drones
2018-1-6
Use props
fans9bc52d2b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2018-1-6 09:56
Yep granted but the delay in getting the PP out has been a ball ache for alots of us so hasn't really been out in the market for very long in usage terms, Tech is ever evolving and its good business to keep new models under wraps to maintain the sales. The price reduction of the current models when a new one comes out doesn't drop a massive amount, if a new one does come out it would be strange why they released the PP as they might as well kept the new ESC's and Rotor for the newest model, unless the PP will become the standard for Mavic's and the Mavic 2 will have even better motors, rotors, camera etc... and they have already run out of parts for the standard Mavic so were forced to release the PP as an interim model because it was using the new parts! (All speculative of course)
I reckon they will hold off till maybe Christmas next year unless a rival manufacturer drops a bombshell but that will take some doing!

Thanks for your reply. I just really hope that the Mavic 2 comes out soon. I have bought 2 MPs and both had serious issues. Both camera/gimbal related. Returned both and vowed not to buy a MP until they update the camera and gimbal. I know for a large majority of people they have had good experience, but unfortunately that was not my experience.
2018-1-6
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans9bc52d2b Posted at 2018-1-6 10:02
Thanks for your reply. I just really hope that the Mavic 2 comes out soon. I have bought 2 MPs and both had serious issues. Both camera/gimbal related. Returned both and vowed not to buy a MP until they update the camera and gimbal. I know for a large majority of people they have had good experience, but unfortunately that was not my experience.

That's a bugger then I've not long had my PP I ordered it in Hong Kong as the UK was out of stock so got it shipped to my Hotel, it was touch and go about it being delivered but it came in the end and I'm pretty chuffed with it, its a different beast to the P3P I'm used to but the footage is pretty good.
2018-1-6
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2018-1-6 10:21
That's a bugger then I've not long had my PP I ordered it in Hong Kong as the UK was out of stock so got it shipped to my Hotel, it was touch and go about it being delivered but it came in the end and I'm pretty chuffed with it, its a different beast to the P3P I'm used to but the footage is pretty good.

I remember seeing your case on here - glad they came through for you in the end. An MPP hand delivered to your hotel in HK - nice!
2018-1-6
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-1-6 10:57
I remember seeing your case on here - glad they came through for you in the end. An MPP hand delivered to your hotel in HK - nice!

Yep a great Christmas present, silly thing was I went to their trade mark store and they had quite a few on the shelf but wouldn't reserve me one even with full deposit! Still got it in the end!
2018-1-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2018-1-6 11:09
Yep a great Christmas present, silly thing was I went to their trade mark store and they had quite a few on the shelf but wouldn't reserve me one even with full deposit! Still got it in the end!

Red tape stopping sales - sounds like a bank LOL
2018-1-6
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

N 4 - new color - something greenish spring edition + 300 USD
2018-1-6
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

I'm saying no as it's to early ....
2018-1-6
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2018-1-6 14:31
I'm saying no as it's to early ....

I agree.               
2018-1-6
Use props
Guido-Italy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

A CW Posted at 2018-1-6 08:29
I too voted no. DJI won't cannibalise their own products having only just launched the Mavic Platinum (which is a kind of Mavic 2) and the 'Apple Exclusive' Alpine white - I don't think Apple will be very pleased if they bring out a product that will affect the alpine sales so soon after launch and as we know, Apple is a MASSIVE client of DJI.

It’s true! DJI can develop FW and SW MP is a good bird
2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Guido-Italy Posted at 2018-1-7 01:17
It’s true! DJI can develop FW and SW MP is a good bird

Well, we have had more than 20 FW updates on the Mavic since Sept '16 but what I think most people want in the next gen. of the Mavic series is a new camera and gimbal system - time will tell
2018-1-7
Use props
Guido-Italy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

A CW Posted at 2018-1-7 01:22
Well, we have had more than 20 FW updates on the Mavic since Sept '16 but what I think most people want in the next gen. of the Mavic series is a new camera and gimbal system - time will tell

For my experience camera and gimbal are good DJI may redesign camera and gimbal to change in actual MP in self mode
2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Guido-Italy Posted at 2018-1-7 01:56
For my experience camera and gimbal are good DJI may redesign camera and gimbal to change in actual MP in self mode

It is a good camera but people always want MORE LOL
2018-1-7
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You wait we will all be wrong they will launch a completely new model that will be a one size fits all style where you can customise and upgrade depending on how big your wallet is or your customer is willing to pay! No need for a Phantom, no need for an Inspire or a Mavic, it be called a PhanSpireVic! with interchangeable shells for colour and comfort! I just spoke with a leprechaun from DJI who told me so! (Oh wait maybe its the half bottle of Merlot I had at lunch!
2018-1-7
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Schmooit Posted at 2018-1-7 09:05
You wait we will all be wrong they will launch a completely new model that will be a one size fits all style where you can customise and upgrade depending on how big your wallet is or your customer is willing to pay! No need for a Phantom, no need for an Inspire or a Mavic, it be called a PhanSpireVic! with interchangeable shells for colour and comfort! I just spoke with a leprechaun from DJI who told me so! (Oh wait maybe its the half bottle of Merlot I had at lunch!

"from DJI who told me so! (Oh wait maybe its the half bottle of Merlot I had at lunch!"

Classic!
2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schmooit Posted at 2018-1-7 09:05
You wait we will all be wrong they will launch a completely new model that will be a one size fits all style where you can customise and upgrade depending on how big your wallet is or your customer is willing to pay! No need for a Phantom, no need for an Inspire or a Mavic, it be called a PhanSpireVic! with interchangeable shells for colour and comfort! I just spoke with a leprechaun from DJI who told me so! (Oh wait maybe its the half bottle of Merlot I had at lunch!

Hahahahaha - nothing would surprise me LOL and yes, I would buy it
2018-1-7
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

It seem they will just show off the OSMO Mobile 2 and the Ronin-S
2018-1-7
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

They currently own this market- they don't feel they need CES to announce, and they would be correct. It would be a strategic mistake to do so unless they have a Mavic 2 ready to roll off production as this would tip off the competition who are desperate to gain market share (something they seriously need to do within the next couple years).
2018-1-7
Use props
Beeworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190259 ft
Australia

5th option: Hope Not! Let me enjoy my Mavic Pro for a little longer without lusting after something else ...
2018-1-8
Use props
jerome42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10617 ft
France

No it's too early. The Mavic Pro Platinium isn't old enough to announce another model.
2018-1-8
Use props
damoUK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 693038 ft
United Kingdom

Wow, I was not expecting that announcement, I wonder why they decided to continue  to develop the Phantom and Spark lines but discontinue the Mavic!

Can't wait for the DJI Spectre though - it looks and sounds totally awesome!!!

Oh wait, did I just dream that? ;-)
2018-1-8
Use props
Schmooit
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ITs all about the TELLO so we need not have worried MAVIC still rules (this was a non wine at lunch broadcast on behalf of myself!)
2018-1-8
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

No, DJI unveil on their own schedule.
2018-1-8
Use props
tellus1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105551 ft
Australia

Love my Mavic, but a newer version with a better camera/gimbal, I'd upgrade straight away
2018-1-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

So far no new MP
2018-1-11
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

We all sure would love to see one... but let's be real ;) We already have two stars of this show
2018-1-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules