Anybody have a crash like this? (Advice needed)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mevena17
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61545 ft
United States

Hello all, I hate to be back with another unfortunate event, but I had another unfortunatae event..
Long story short, the plane was hovering next to a tree, about 10 or 15 feet away. My goal was to go up, then over it. I pressed up on the left stick, and the drone ubruptly started to pitch left, right into the tree. I was shocked, and even took a moment to look down and confirm that I only had my hand on the left stick, not the right. Anyone have any ideas what happened? There was no significant wind, and I had a solid gps connection the whole time. This all occurred right in my yard in plain view.

Last time when my drone had an accident, it turned out that it was technically doing what it was programmed to do (but didnt end well), so this time I'm trying to stay positive and not jump to any conclusions and point fingers. But I do want to do my due diligence and confirm it was my fault before I get the bill... (the gimbal broke off the quad)

Also, what is that software that I can import flight records from the quad and see every discrete input, to see what went down?

Thanks for any advice!
2018-1-6
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear you’ve had another crash, here is instructions how to upload your fligh5 logs, just post the link when you have done it http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-1-6
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

It might be that when you pressed the left stick up, you might have pressed a little to the right as well (if you were facing the A/C) causing the A/C to slide left into the tree.
2018-1-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Im wondering if obstacle avoidance might have caused it being close to a tree the drone may have tried to avoid the obstacle.
Just a thought
2018-1-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Need to look at the flight log i think to see what may have happened
2018-1-6
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-1-6 13:06
Im wondering if obstacle avoidance might have caused it being close to a tree the drone may have tried to avoid the obstacle.
Just a thought

Appears to be a P3P.
2018-1-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Ahh my bad
2018-1-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Anybody have a crash like this?
Lots.   Flying close to trees and buildings is probably the number one cause of crashing.
Anyone have any ideas what happened?
Phantoms don't usually do odd things on their own.
The recorded flight data in the app would probably show exactly what happened.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
2018-1-6
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

OK ... we'll get a log of what the AC understood and acted ... but what we won't know is what actual stick / RC movements may have caused this ..

Now I'm going to go out on a long shot here ...

If the RC is set up as Mode 1 ... then Vertical ascent is on RIGHT stick. Left Stick UP will now tell AC to pitch nose down and fly forward.

My question now is ......... what was orientation of the AC when that LEFT stick was pushed up ... IF the AC was actually nose facing to LEFT .......... mode 1 stick movement would create exactly what OP experienced ...

So to "mevena17" ... what Mode Stick configuration  do you have on your RC controller ?  Second - Which way was the AC facing when it pitched to your left ?

Just trying to imagine how a Left Stick UP command can create a pitch and slide left .....

Nigel
2018-1-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-7 01:30
OK ... we'll get a log of what the AC understood and acted ... but what we won't know is what actual stick / RC movements may have caused this ..

Now I'm going to go out on a long shot here ...

The data whisperers can see all kinds of things in the recorded flight data including the direction the Phantom is facing and what joystick inputs were made.
But we need to see the data first.
2018-1-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-7 02:34
The data whisperers can see all kinds of things in the recorded flight data including the direction the Phantom is facing and what joystick inputs were made.
But we need to see the data first.

Lets see ....

Nigel
2018-1-7
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't want to add logs to the fire but - Hello all, I hate to be back with another unfortunate event, but I had another unfortunatae event....Flying rites revoked untill further notice.
2018-1-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-1-7 07:36
Don't want to add logs to the fire but - Hello all, I hate to be back with another unfortunate event, but I had another unfortunatae event....Flying rites revoked untill further notice.

Maybe start your own thread on it ???

Nigel
2018-1-7
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-7 07:56
Maybe start your own thread on it ???

Nigel

New thread on what ? Why some people should never buy a DJI Drone......Baaaaaaaahhhahahahahaha
2018-1-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-1-7 10:32
New thread on what ? Why some people should never buy a DJI Drone......Baaaaaaaahhhahahahahaha

Only saying ...

Many threads started by someone who has problem are hijacked by others problems. Starts to then get confusing and neither then get real benefit.

Its always better to start own thread if an 'event' occurs and then you can detail it all for others to learn from / dissect etc.

Here we have a guy with a really confusing 'event' ... I for one am extremely interested in reasons for it. I would like to follow it without having to filter out others 'events' ...

Sorry if you think I'm wrong ... no disrespect intended - just an honest opinion.

Nigel
2018-1-7
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good point for the Mode 1 selection/setup. I see the author has opened up the thread and seemingly left everyone to it. I'm used to my Phantom stopping when near buildings and tree's - if it see's the tree's that is. I believe we need a bit more info/clarification from mevena17 before people get all Miss Marple and go too deep.
2018-1-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-1-7 10:52
Good point for the Mode 1 selection/setup. I see the author has opened up the thread and seemingly left everyone to it. I'm used to my Phantom stopping when near buildings and tree's - if it see's the tree's that is. I believe we need a bit more info/clarification from mevena17 before people get all Miss Marple and go too deep.

If your Phantom stops before it hits something - then its flying forward and also a P4 ...

This guy has a P3 which has no collision sensors at all ...

Nigel
2018-1-7
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for the crash, I would recommend you send the drone in for diagnosis and repair, we'll submit a data analysis for you after we received the drone if the drone is still in warranty period. You can refer to the following link to start a case.  https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2018-1-8
Use props
mevena17
lvl.1
United States

Hello,
Whoever said that I opened the thread and then left it, was pretty much spot on. I have been checking it, but not updating on the situation because I sent it in for repairs before leaving for college, so I have been disconnected from the case since. Sorry about that, just been away from it all.

The AC was still in the original flight mode, I never changed it. This all happened at the end of a long flight, so I can be sure it was functioning as expected. And the craft was facing toward me, but that shouldnt have changed the function of using exclusively the left stick, which is still my case that I'm sticking to...
DJI just finally acknowledged reviewing the hardware, after sending it in a month ago. We'll see what their assessment is.

And to "CoreyB10", I'm not sure what you mean by "some people should never buy a DJI Drone", but if I understand your connotation correctly, you seem to be belittling me for having crashed more than once. But I would guess that the majority of people on this website are in that boat with me. Get off your high horse. To everyone else, thanks for the actual support.
2018-2-19
Use props
dorbot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 844770 ft
France

Compass?   We never saw the logs.
2018-2-19
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

mevena17 Posted at 2018-2-19 15:35
Hello,
Whoever said that I opened the thread and then left it, was pretty much spot on. I have been checking it, but not updating on the situation because I sent it in for repairs before leaving for college, so I have been disconnected from the case since. Sorry about that, just been away from it all.

I took the comments to be some light-hearted ribbing.  Most of us are keen to help when someone indicates they've had a crash, so I assume they were just eager to view the record.

If you want to see what the aircraft was doing, and to get help from the forum, you really need to extract the flight log from the smart device, then upload it to PhantomHelp as indicated previously.  This will lay out in minute detail what each sensor was recording and what controls were operated etc.  Pretty sure this is what you were asking for in your original post.  If you share the link here, many of the experienced people here can interpret it and give you their informed opinion, otherwise we only have your version of events and description to try and determine what happened.  Usually that is far from adequate, especially if the cause is something unintentional or subconscious such as nudging the stick accidentally.  You can upload the log quite independently of having sent the aircraft to DJI -- the log is in your device and any discussion on the forum won't influence DJI's examination or decision.  There is a much more detailed log inside the aircraft which DJI will examine, but it is typically way more detailed than needed, especially when we have the simpler flight record at hand.  To view the internal "black box", you attach the aircraft to a computer via USB and access it like an external hard disk.  You extract the relevant DAT file and decrypt it with 3rd party software like DatCon.  Be aware it will contain a lot of confusing technical data, much of which won't help you at all.  99.9% of cases rely on the simpler flight data we upload to Phantom Help.
2018-2-20
Use props
Mickus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 601677 ft
United States

endotherm Posted at 2018-2-20 04:39
I took the comments to be some light-hearted ribbing.  Most of us are keen to help when someone indicates they've had a crash, so I assume they were just eager to view the record.

If you want to see what the aircraft was doing, and to get help from the forum, you really need to extract the flight log from the smart device, then upload it to PhantomHelp as indicated previously.  This will lay out in minute detail what each sensor was recording and what controls were operated etc.  Pretty sure this is what you were asking for in your original post.  If you share the link here, many of the experienced people here can interpret it and give you their informed opinion, otherwise we only have your version of events and description to try and determine what happened.  Usually that is far from adequate, especially if the cause is something unintentional or subconscious such as nudging the stick accidentally.  You can upload the log quite independently of having sent the aircraft to DJI -- the log is in your device and any discussion on the forum won't influence DJI's examination or decision.  There is a much more detailed log inside the aircraft which DJI will examine, but it is typically way more detailed than needed, especially when we have the simpler flight record at hand.  To view the internal "black box", you attach the aircraft to a computer via USB and access it like an external hard disk.  You extract the relevant DAT file and decrypt it with 3rd party software like DatCon.  Be aware it will contain a lot of confusing technical data, much of which won't help you at all.  99.9% of cases rely on the simpler flight data we upload to Phantom Help.

Meneva17, I would take what Endotherm says, and others have advised, upload the log. It is simple to do and I can assure you that Endotherm will give you a good analysis of the data, and you will get a better understanding of what happened and why. I was in the same position earlier this week and by uploading the log I got an excellent analysis of what occured during my crash. I dont think the forum has any interest in mocking anyone, my experience is that the people posting here are willing to share knowledge and experience if you let them. In the end it does not really matter much if the crash was electro/mechanical/weather or pilot error, what is important is you gain the understanding of what went wrong. I wish you luck.
2018-2-20
Use props
mevena17
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for your input about just being friendly banter. I may have gotten too defensive, I guess it is still a touchy subject to me lol

The reason I haven't uploaded the logs as everyone suggested is that they aren't showing up in the app. The flight from that day doesn't exist at all in the app, only ones prior to it. I synced everything, to no avail. I figured maybe retrieve the ones from the controller when I get a chance to get home, but I realize those are a different type of log. Maybe I'm missing something

Nonetheless, DJI did get back to me about the repair quote. On top of the things I expected, they are citing something called the main controller board as needing repaired, which alone is about a hundred dollars... Not sure what that is or how it got damaged exactly, but I have a feeling I'm gonna just have to trust them on it...
2018-2-22
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

mevena17 Posted at 2018-2-22 20:32
Thanks for your input about just being friendly banter. I may have gotten too defensive, I guess it is still a touchy subject to me lol

The reason I haven't uploaded the logs as everyone suggested is that they aren't showing up in the app. The flight from that day doesn't exist at all in the app, only ones prior to it. I synced everything, to no avail. I figured maybe retrieve the ones from the controller when I get a chance to get home, but I realize those are a different type of log. Maybe I'm missing something

Without seeing the log we can't determine why it did what it did.  If DJI are saying the main board needs replacing, it is probably because an ESC (a motor speed controller chip) has burned out.  As it is soldered onto this main board, their repair method is to replace the entire board (think motherboard in a computer).  Other components could have been taken out as well, so it is a prudent action.  This failure could explain why it suddenly took off to one side -- one of the props suddenly stopped.

The flight log that is saved doesn't need the GO app to find, it will be saved as a separate text file.  It is just a matter of following the instructions on the Phantom Help site and copying off a text file. Just like copying a file from an external hard disk to your computer.
2018-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules