Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stress Cracks
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

My 2 year old P3P has stress cracks on one of the arms. This is a known issue and I am not upset or surprised. I am preparing to send the quad in to DJI for repair but there is one thing I would like to know first. What does it cost to have the shell replaced? I know that DJI will either replace the shell or send me a refurb. I am okay with that. But this is such a common repair that knowledge of the cost should also be common knowledge. After all, it is not a secret.

Anyone else had this type of repair done? And, what did it cost? BTW, when I filled out the repair request form on the DJI website it listed the serial number of my unit as a P3 Advanced. Mine is a P3 Professional. Just curious as to the discrepency.

TC
2018-1-6
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

Everyone I know that's has had that issue made the repair themselves.  Have not read where anyone shared the cost of the repair thru DJI, sorry.  I would not care to have a refurbished unit so I will not take that chance.
2018-1-6
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

New shells crack as well ...

Why do you not repair the existing shell ?

Nigel
2018-1-6
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-6 11:45
New shells crack as well ...

Why do you not repair the existing shell ?

One of the things that I learned in the video that I watched this morning is that new shells are manufactured with more support in the arms to avoid the stress cracks. It seems that this change in the design was made in response to this known problem.

Eventually, I will get a P4, or maybe a P5 when available. If I do upgrade to a newer model, I will be looking to sell the P3P. It will be considerably more difficult to sell a P3 with visible stress cracks on the arms, even if reinforced with glue.
2018-1-6
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

Yup, new ones crack as well when you fly or handle the drone the same.  Been flying for years and never had a crack
2018-1-6
Use props
fans4108d2ff
New
Flight distance : 6444 ft
United Kingdom

Had a repair done by an authorised repairer.  Cost about £45 for the shell and £40 for the labour
2018-1-6
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
United States

fans4108d2ff Posted at 2018-1-6 13:41
Had a repair done by an authorised repairer.  Cost about £45 for the shell and £40 for the labour

Thanks for your reply. I think that is equivalent to about $115 US. If the cost is the same here in the US I will pay it and save myself the headache of trying a DIY repair. I just found a DJI authorized repair facility called Drone Nerds nearby. I will have to wait until Monday to contact them about a price. I will keep you posted.
2018-1-6
Use props
dandyflyz
New
Flight distance : 6444 ft
United Kingdom

I saw that you were in the US after my reply.  So I would think it would be around the same.  I had a quick look at Drone Nerds and it looks like a similar set up to the outfit I used here.

Hope you get it fixed and flying soon
2018-1-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi TC, we will do a damage assessment when we receive the drone and send you with the quotation. If there is a need, you can go to our official website and check for the repair price inquiry. https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
And for your serial number, could you please provide me with a picture of your serial number? You can upload it to Dropbox and PM me the link, I would like to check. Thank you.
2018-1-6
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2018-1-6 12:14
One of the things that I learned in the video that I watched this morning is that new shells are manufactured with more support in the arms to avoid the stress cracks. It seems that this change in the design was made in response to this known problem.

Eventually, I will get a P4, or maybe a P5 when available. If I do upgrade to a newer model, I will be looking to sell the P3P. It will be considerably more difficult to sell a P3 with visible stress cracks on the arms, even if reinforced with glue.

Whether more support or not - they STILL crack ...

Nigel
2018-1-7
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2018-1-6 14:00
Thanks for your reply. I think that is equivalent to about $115 US. If the cost is the same here in the US I will pay it and save myself the headache of trying a DIY repair. I just found a DJI authorized repair facility called Drone Nerds nearby. I will have to wait until Monday to contact them about a price. I will keep you posted.

Yes ... you avoid the heartache that so many get into ...

Check out how many posts of .... I replaced this and still it wont fly .... I did this correctly but it wont fly .... etc.

I just paid to have new gimbal, top shell by DJI ... cost a lot more than parts if I DIY ... BUT I get a P3P back that has warranty on the work and FLIES !

Nigel
2018-1-7
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-6 18:55
Hi TC, we will do a damage assessment when we receive the drone and send you with the quotation. If there is a need, you can go to our official website and check for the repair price inquiry. https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
And for your serial number, could you please provide me with a picture of your serial number? You can upload it to Dropbox and PM me the link, I would like to check. Thank you.

Thank you for your generous offer, Thor. What exactly would you like to check for me? I do not need expert damage assessment. It is obvious to me that the shell is cracked. Do you know the prevailing rate for a shell replacement?

TC
2018-1-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2018-1-7 06:29
Thank you for your generous offer, Thor. What exactly would you like to check for me? I do not need expert damage assessment. It is obvious to me that the shell is cracked. Do you know the prevailing rate for a shell replacement?

TC

If you are going to provide me with the serial number, I would like to check it again in the online repair process, if it recognizes again as the Phantom 3 Adv, I will forward to the designated team to confirm.
And the damage assessment is the regular procedure of the repair, don't worry. Thank you.
2018-1-8
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
United States

Thanks to everyone who replied. I now know what I am going to do to resolve this situation and I will be happy to share my rationale. Others may disagree, but I am comfortable that it is the right decision for me. I have decided to have the cracked shell replaced professionally. Here is my rationale:
  • Local Repair: I am fortunate that there is an authorized DJI repair facility in my home town called Drone Nerds. I do not have to pack up my P3P and ship it from the east coast of the US to the west coast just to find out what the repair cost. I look forward to building a relationship with Drone Nerds and it is really cool to see the entire DJI product line in their showroom. I will definitely be getting back the same drone with the shell replaced. No refurb.
  • Liability: God forbid, if my quadcopter is involved in an unexplained accident that results in damage to property or bodily injury, I feel that having the shell professionally replaced reduces my exposure to liability. Especially since I sometimes fly under Part 107. In the unfortunate event of an accident, my maintenance records would come under scrutiny. In this case, a visual inspection of my quad revealed the existence of stress cracks and I will have a paper documentation of the repair to manufacture's specifications. I think of it as due dilligence on my part.
  • Speed and Convenience: Drone Nerds is currently working on a 5 day turnaround (and possibly quicker). I will be back in the air faster than if I ordered the shell and replaced it myself. All I have to do is to pick it up after it is ready. The cost to replace the shell is $200. They were able to tell me the price before I left their store. That is a bit more than twice what it would cost if I replaced the shell myself. But, since I earn money with my drone I consider it part of the cost of doing business.
  • Resale Value: Eventually, I will upgrade the P3P. Perhaps I will get a P4P or perhaps I will wait for the next generation. When I do I will have no need to keep the P3P. No one in their right mind would buy a used P3P with visible stress cracks, or with the cracks patched with glue. Therefore, I consider the need for repair to be necessary. I can in good conscious sell my P3P with the shell replaced.

To each his own. This is how I have decided to resolve the issue. Think for yourself.

Best regards,

TC
2018-1-8
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2018-1-8 15:13
Thanks to everyone who replied. I now know what I am going to do to resolve this situation and I will be happy to share my rationale. Others may disagree, but I am comfortable that it is the right decision for me. I have decided to have the cracked shell replaced professionally. Here is my rationale:
  • Local Repair: I am fortunate that there is an authorized DJI repair facility in my home town called Drone Nerds. I do not have to pack up my P3P and ship it from the east coast of the US to the west coast just to find out what the repair cost. I look forward to building a relationship with Drone Nerds and it is really cool to see the entire DJI product line in their showroom. I will definitely be getting back the same drone with the shell replaced. No refurb.

• Good reasoning on your decision.  I'm glad to hear that they return customers their own drone back and not a refurbished unit.  Knowing this I would have no trouble using them in the future.  I also really like to hear the turn around time.  Thanks for sharing
    2018-1-8
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules