Shocking quick lock discovery after full flight.
1287 11 2015-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Warrior1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141998 ft
United Kingdom

After a full battery flight in a steady but not strong wind my inspire came down at pace and more unsteady than usual but nothing to be alarmed about. Whilst carrying out my post flight checks I noticed severe amounts of play in the rear left prop. After further inspection, the whole quick lock housing had somehow become unscrewed but for two turns of the thread on one of the screws holding the quick lock housing in place, the other screw was completely out....This could have been catastrophic.
It's the quick lock housing was moments from totally coming off the motor. The quick lock housing is not a mod' my inspire is new so came fitted with them out the box.
It took several minutes to get the prop off and after further inspection the quick lock attachment  seems to have similar markings to a screw thats been cross threaded...Scary. I have not touched these housings at all since my inspire arrived.
2015-4-21
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Scary indeed.  You say it looks as though the screw was cross-threaded.  Are the threads on the motor housing damaged or is it possible to reattach the quick lock device?  (It would probably be in your interest to replace them at this point - new ones are cheap and will come with new hardware).

2015-4-21
Use props
Warrior1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141998 ft
United Kingdom

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-22 05:46
Scary indeed.  You say it looks as though the screw was cross-threaded.  Are the threads on the moto ...

I managed to remove the prop after several attempts. It's tough when the quick lock attachment isn't properly bolted to the motor.....It looks like the remaining screw has twisted in the motor housing. Very strange...Ive not crashed and have not forced the prop onto the qr housing.
There was a lot of dust from the screw that was fully out and the screw which was holding the qr fitting onto the motor was  at a slight angle. All cleaned up now but it does seem there has been some kind of thread issue...I'm sure this is a 1 off as all is back as it was after swapping the screws over...Will fly today and post results.
2015-4-21
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Warrior1 Posted at 2015-4-22 15:13
I managed to remove the prop after several attempts. It's tough when the quick lock attachment isn ...

Please take pics of this. Thanks
2015-4-21
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Do we know how much "torque" we are supposed to use on theese screws?
What kind of "loctite" is recommended?
I have no recieved mine yet ...
2015-4-22
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

w1der - The screws that come with the quick release attachment kit are pretreated from the factory with locktite.  Tighten to the point of being snug, but with screws this tiny don't go beyond that or they could strip.  I've flown half a dozen times since adding them and they're still fully tight.
2015-4-22
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-22 20:16
w1der - The screws that come with the quick release attachment kit are pretreated from the factory w ...

oh ... cool

Thanks for the info!
2015-4-22
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.3

United States

w1der Posted at 2015-4-22 16:24
What kind of "loctite" is rec ...

I played it safe and put additional Loctite Blue.  DO NOT USE RED.  REPEAT - DO NOT USE LOCTITE RED.

Blue has been great for my other RC projects.
2015-4-22
Use props
lesmess
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2753402 ft
United Kingdom

Blooming heck, I will have to check mine .  Received my bird on Monday with the new prop locks fitted, flown four times with no issues.  Away on a business trip so will check when I get home.  Thanks for sharing.
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Warrior1 Posted at 2015-4-22 15:13
I managed to remove the prop after several attempts. It's tough when the quick lock attachment isn ...

Check all of the QR adapter mounting screws for tightness making sure they are firmly tightened ! If you remove one use some new thread lock ! You don't need to reef them down but you do need to firmly apply some reasonable torque on the screws , what torque ? Who knows just make them tight !
It sounds like this happened at assembly so I wouldn't be too alarmed as you didn't loose the bird to a crash , hopefully the threads on the motor are not stripped now , try running a good screw part way into the same hole that had the loose screws  without the adapter in place and see if it's goofy or loose or has side to side movement .....hopefully the threads will be ok and you won't need to replace the motor.
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

w1der Posted at 2015-4-22 16:24
What kind of "loctite" is rec ...

Blue locative.
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Blue loctite or permatex blue ..
2015-4-22
Use props
Advanced