Traveling to Cancun Question 2018
3307 14 2018-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shadowspy
New
Flight distance : 203225 ft
United States

Because of the issues I have read about in regards to traveling to Cancun Mexico with a DJI Mavic Pro...

1) can someone explain any recent issues

2) are they imposing VAT taxes? If so, paid in cash or credit card?

3) and last... If I present customs with a Pawn Store purchase receipt of a used Mavic in the amount of $480 would this minimize the problems?

Please add anything else that may assist in my travels on January 23, 2018

Thanks in advance!!!!
2018-1-7
Use props
JRH23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 494042 ft
United States

I am taking a trip to Cancun as well and debating whether it is worth it to take my Mavic or not. I have heard about those VAT taxes but searching google doesn't seem like many people have experienced them. I'm staying at the hotel strip and fear it may be too crowded to fly anyway. Plus I never flew outside the USA before.

Let me know what you find out though! It sure would be some awesome footage down there with the clear blue water.
2018-1-8
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

JRH23 Posted at 2018-1-8 18:45
I am taking a trip to Cancun as well and debating whether it is worth it to take my Mavic or not. I have heard about those VAT taxes but searching google doesn't seem like many people have experienced them. I'm staying at the hotel strip and fear it may be too crowded to fly anyway. Plus I never flew outside the USA before.

Let me know what you find out though! It sure would be some awesome footage down there with the clear blue water.

I vacationed in Cancun a few months ago.  I flew my drone just about everywhere I wanted, wth the exception of the ruins of course.  Regarding customs; not a single issue or even a question about the mavic.  
2018-1-9
Use props
JRH23
lvl.3
United States

Good to know! I may bring it then. Did you stay on “hotel row”?
2018-1-9
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

The wife and I are taking a cruise to Cancun later this month for our 44th, I had thought about taking my Mavic but my wife said I'm celebrating with her, not the drone. It appears the Mavic will stay home this time.
2018-1-9
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

JRH23 Posted at 2018-1-9 07:03
Good to know! I may bring it then. Did you stay on “hotel row”?

Yes; Hyatt Ziva on the corner.  Flew my mavic there daily and on some nights as well
2018-1-10
Use props
JRH23
lvl.3
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2018-1-10 07:32
Yes; Hyatt Ziva on the corner.  Flew my mavic there daily and on some nights as well

Hmmm ok... it's tempting to bring it! You don't get the chance to film clear blue water in a tropical setting everyday!
2018-1-10
Use props
JRH23
lvl.3
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-9 09:10
The wife and I are taking a cruise to Cancun later this month for our 44th, I had thought about taking my Mavic but my wife said I'm celebrating with her, not the drone. It appears the Mavic will stay home this time.

Tell her you are wanting to capture the moment! haha
2018-1-10
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JRH23 Posted at 2018-1-10 13:57
Tell her you are wanting to capture the moment! haha

I am taking both my conventional DSLR and my infrared converted one, that's probably enough to keep track of anyway.
2018-1-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sir, I would recommend you check the local regulations and contact the local authority for further assistance. Or you can check the info from our website: https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=footer. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-15
Use props
richparry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1620148 ft
  • >>>
United States

Shadowspy,

I assume you are back from your Cancun trip, did you have any drone issues with customs? I'm going in April.

Rich
2018-2-14
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-9 09:10

Time to contemplate divorce?
2018-2-14
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2018-2-14 09:49
Time to contemplate divorce?

I told her I'd give her another 44 years to get her act together!
2018-2-14
Use props
JRH23
lvl.3
United States

Did any of you guys go to Cancun and bring your drones? I was there but left the drone at home, just brought the GoPro. Would of been some amazing shots with the drone though. I saw one guy with a Mavic Pro on the beach. He was hand catching it to prevent it from getting sand in it.
2018-6-10
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was just in the Riviera Maya in April,landed in Cancun. No one could care less that I had my Mavic. The Mavic and remote were in my checked luggage and 4 batteries in my carry on.
2018-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules