Iphone 6Plus Crash
929 12 2018-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tcase
lvl.2
Flight distance : 988 ft
United States

Just back in from a cold winter flight. This is the second time in a row this has happened. The flight goes fine but the phone completely crashes as soon as I turn off video recording in Go4 after landing. All of the equipment came already started up from within my house which was around 78 degrees F / 25 degrees C. Coincidence? Here is the play by play.

1. 12 degrees F / -11 degrees C
2. Charge at beginning of flight on iPhone6 plus 88%
3. Video recording for entire duration
4. Charge on Drone when shut down 28%
5. Flight time = 8 minutes 53 seconds
5. Battery level on iPhone6 plus after crash restart 10%

I'm all up to date with firmware and software for the drone, phone and app. Do you think it's just to cold or something I should dig deeper in to?

2018-1-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

12 degrees seems fine.  Never had IOS crash because over cold, many times because of overheating
2018-1-7
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I have never recorded that long of a video file.  But my iphone 6 runs fine for winter flights of the drone.  I took three videos and a few pictures during the 6 minute flight.  Something wrong with your old phone battery in that it can be discharged that much in 8 minutes?
2018-1-7
Use props
petercod
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Same thing happened to me, during flight. iPhone went black screen and restarted showing 10% battery. Was fun to lose video signal during flight. Phone didn’t even give a 20% warning it just restarted!
2018-1-7
Use props
tcase
lvl.2
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-7 10:20
I have never recorded that long of a video file.  But my iphone 6 runs fine for winter flights of the drone.  I took three videos and a few pictures during the 6 minute flight.  Something wrong with your old phone battery in that it can be discharged that much in 8 minutes?

The phone seems to just fine other wise in the cold. But then again I never have it running a process intensive app like Go4. Any suggestions on a test? One using a different app that uses a lot of processing power.
2018-1-7
Use props
fans5655e9c2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968002 ft
United States

Get you’re battery replaced by Apple for $29 That should fix the problem.
2018-1-7
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

check your phone against aplle database it might be one with the dodgy batterys and you can get it fixed free, if it is..if not try a battery checker on appstore i use one called battery life and that tells me everything i need ..
2018-1-7
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

My iPhone 6 Plus often said cpu at max, then crashed. I assumed phone was too old to run software and upgraded.
2018-1-7
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

Are you operating out of the iphone specs?
They are: Operating temperature: 0 to 35 deg celcius.
2018-1-7
Use props
jonkjon
lvl.1
United States

Same thing happened to me today as well except on the iPhone 5S and the temperature was ~25F. Worked splendidly before the latest update....

--Jon
2018-1-7
Use props
tcase
lvl.2
United States

fans5655e9c2 Posted at 2018-1-7 11:12
Get you’re battery replaced by Apple for $29  That should fix the problem.

I tossed my serial # in checker for a free one and it wasn't qualified. But I can still go for the reduced price on one. Thanks for the heads up.
2018-1-7
Use props
tcase
lvl.2
United States

wobbles Posted at 2018-1-7 11:47
check your phone against aplle database it might be one with the dodgy batterys and you can get it fixed free, if it is..if not try a battery checker on appstore i use one called battery life and that tells me everything i need ..

I went ahead tried it out. It said my battery was at a 21% wear level and needs to be replaced conveniently by them....
2018-1-7
Use props
tcase
lvl.2
United States

heliman Posted at 2018-1-7 13:26
Are you operating out of the iphone specs?
They are: Operating temperature: 0 to 35 deg celcius.

Yes I guess it is out of their limits. I just thought going from a 25C to -11C for 10 minutes wouldn't be enough time to cool the phone down enough to cause it to crash. But then again it is aluminum. I wouldn't wanna stick my tongue to it to check.
2018-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules