Regrets?
1109 13 2018-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

I purchased my Spark a few days ago but can't fly it for quite awhile because it's winter here.   I read quite a bit in the last few days and although I do know that it's human nature to post way more about problems with a product as compared to when all is going good it still concerns me.   I must say that what I have read here about how the Spark and the app have been having wifi and fly away problems and how DJI don't seem to have a grip on the Sparks software issues is very concerning.  

Do I have buyers regrets......I do, somewhat.  I really do hope that the wifi issues are corrected before I can fly in a few months.

2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This forum is mainly geared to resolving issues, sharing best practices and footage. There are thousands of Sparks sold on a global scale and what you are seeing is a small percentage who have problems and in the majority of cases I've seen are caused by pilot error and not understanding the limitations of this mini drone. Most happy Spark owners won't come on here because they either don't know this forum exists and are out happily flying their Spark. For every 50 issues you read on here there are thousands who have no issues at all. Read the manual thoroughly, watch the tutorials, ask questions on here and prepare yourself + why wait for warmer weather? During your research and planning you will find that flying in the winter offers some of the best footage of the year. BTW - I never had a single issue with my Spark but I sold it as it didn't suit my personal needs. Don't have buyers regret based on other peoples experience - base it on your own!
2018-1-7
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I must admit that I don't tend to fly old Sparky as far as when I did with a working OTG. Other than that, I spend time on here wondering if these people make their own issues. There does seem to be a lot of fly-away's lately. Maybe it's a band wagon thing. I have flown DJI for a few years now and am very happy with their products. Most issues I have had have been of my own making but other than that, no fly away's, no crashes. There have been issues before and there will still be issues in the future. What's important is they both sort the issues and listen to the community that pay their wages and contribute to making the company what it is today by purchasing their drones. Regrets - not one.
2018-1-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-1-7 10:43
I must admit that I don't tend to fly old Sparky as far as when I did with a working OTG. Other than that, I spend time on here wondering if these people make their own issues. There does seem to be a lot of fly-away's lately. Maybe it's a band wagon thing. I have flown DJI for a few years now and am very happy with their products. Most issues I have had have been of my own making but other than that, no fly away's, no crashes. There have been issues before and there will still be issues in the future. What's important is they both sort the issues and listen to the community that pay their wages and contribute to making the company what it is today by purchasing their drones. Regrets - not one.

Ditto...I tend to fly my Spark no where near as often as my Mavic.  I usually only fly it around my backyard to tease my dogs
2018-1-7
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-7 10:59
Ditto...I tend to fly my Spark no where near as often as my Mavic.  I usually only fly it around my backyard to tease my dogs

Blade Inductrix + today and had a blast......Can't get my DJI Goggles to connect though...
2018-1-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-1-7 11:02
Blade Inductrix + today and had a blast......Can't get my DJI Goggles to connect though...

Yeah I imagine no HD output on the RC
2018-1-7
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-7 11:05
Yeah I imagine no HD output on the RC

HDMI plug is bigger than the quad......Another thing with wifi is that the gimbal pitch on Spark is glitchy as hell. Binned some filming when we had snow due to it break dancing on me. Here's hope they sort it soon before there's a good old fashioned linchin'. Even ordered an FPV monitor mount for my Inductrix TX to see me through.
2018-1-7
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61850 ft
United States

I'm a new Spark owner (about 4 weeks now) and have no regrets with my purchase.  I picked up the basic package and added an extra battery and micro SD card when I bought it.
The Spark has been operating perfectly for me, though I haven't flown it more than 100 or so feet from me at any time.  I'll be looking forward to picking up the remote controller once I'm more comfortable with my piloting skills.  Paying attention to conditions (weather, location, drone status, etc.) prior to flying is essential to get a great, enjoyable flight.  Don't be in a hurry to take off. Take the time to make sure all the Spark to mobile device and/or remote controller networks are working and that you have good GPS connectivity.
I'm sure others will jump in with additional suggestions.
Again, I've been nothing but happy with my Spark and look forward to getting a chance to fly it every day.
2018-1-7
Use props
Spark Kam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 417 ft
United States

I have the same concerns as you Far_North. For every "Fly Away" post you'll have at least 4 people that will tag along and blame it on "Pilot Error". Why market it as a Selfie Drone if it requires a professional pilots license to fly it? Even if there are pilot errors, shouldn't the software programming force it to RTH, land, crash and not just take the heck off?
2018-1-7
Use props
Newbiesparker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13245 ft
United Kingdom

As others have said, follow the instructions and gen up while your weather is bad.  Do lots of short low level practices to get used to the controls and what all the buttons and options do., take yourself off into clear open space and have a play.  Use the spark within it's limitations whilst you're learning, I never see the point in seeing "how far" or "How High" I can go, pushing it until you lose connectivity and risking flyaway's in stronger than advised wind is going to increase the risk to your drone.  You can get great cinematic effects and shots from 20-30 Meters, why push it to 200m.....enjoy
2018-1-7
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Spark Kam Posted at 2018-1-7 12:09
I have the same concerns as you Far_North. For every "Fly Away" post you'll have at least 4 people that will tag along and blame it on "Pilot Error". Why market it as a Selfie Drone if it requires a professional pilots license to fly it? Even if there are pilot errors, shouldn't the software programming force it to RTH, land, crash and not just take the heck off?

Downsides to a stabilized drone.  It doesn't know it is taking the heck off when in ATTI.  It just tries to keep level as it drifts to the next city.  An unstabilized drone would roll over into the ground so the parts are easily found by the owner.

All RC models require pilot skills.  I knew that, my father knew that, and my grandfather knew that.  It is why they wouldn't buy me a RC model when I was young.  Surely, people still know there needs to be training or a learning period in order to safely fly a RC aircraft.  And during the student's training time, there will be loss.

2018-1-7
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Put some prop guards on it and fly indoors. I specifically bought the Spark for when the weather was too bad to go out.
2018-1-7
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

I had a Spark for just over a month...I loved the wee thing but had problems everytime I flew with crashing apps, disconnections and weak signals (even in open fields). The last straw for me  was the problems I had on New Year’s Day which caused a fly away when the battery hit zero.

Even then though...I was very sad to be returning the wee thing. Maybe future software/firmware  updates will solve problems.

I’m in the UK and from what I gather certain laws here hamper us a bit..Maybe that’s what caused the problems.
2018-1-7
Use props
andwluv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 167241 ft
Malaysia

It’s just like a baby, take weeks by start crawling, then slowly walk and then run. Don’t let any conditions or worry’s any bad comments. When weather bad, learn pilot indoor atti mode. It help build up your confidence if any situations went wrong on the outdoor world. I see a lot and lots of pilot error around. Even I make mistake and learn from it. Happy dronie.
2018-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules