12Next >
28353 44 2018-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
panders_man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2516 ft
United Kingdom

My mavic pro lens fogs up every time I put it in the air. The lens returns to normal when the propellers stop.This happens every time I use the drone and makes the footage unusable. Has anyone else had this issue and know a fix? The drone has always been stored sensibly in a case with camera cover etc,and has not been used in extreme conditions. Having looked on the Internet this seems to be a common issue with the mavic. Faulty batch?
2018-1-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

If the temperature varies greatly between the camera inside and the ambient environment, the lens might get foggy. Please leave the drone for a while after powering on at the place where you are going to fly.
If the fog generates in the lens frequently and will not disappear, I suggest sending the drone in for repair. Thanks for the understanding.
2018-1-8
Use props
panders_man
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-8 04:25
If the temperature varies greatly between the camera inside and the ambient environment, the lens might get foggy. Please leave the drone for a while after powering on at the place where you are going to fly.
If the fog generates in the lens frequently and will not disappear, I suggest sending the drone in for repair. Thanks for the understanding.

unfortunately, this is not the case, I have tried the above advice numerous times, the issue only happens when the propellers are in use. The camera has not been used in drastically different temperatures, and I have seen examples of videos been flown in extreme conditions without any issues. Where can I get details to return the drone for repair?
2018-1-8
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

My lens is sometimes fogging up in cold weather too, i guess thats normal when it cools down rapidly.
If that happens, I put my (warm) finger on the lens for a bit, which usually helps.
2018-1-8
Use props
panders_man
lvl.1
United Kingdom

JohnnieTheCache Posted at 2018-1-8 06:56
My lens is sometimes fogging up in cold weather too, i guess thats normal when it cools down rapidly.
If that happens, I put my (warm) finger on the lens for a bit, which usually helps.

this was also happening in the summer in warm weather.
2018-1-8
Use props
sica
lvl.4
Flight distance : 679 ft
Israel

is as normal as possible !!! In cold weather and surveillance cameras are the same! Only with professional surveillance cameras they have built-in heating system when the temperature sensor detects cold 10'C! MP does not have this and fly at heights of tens of meters from the ground where the temperature is much lower than the ground!
2018-1-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't buy the "it's normal" thing at all.  Condensation happens when you take the drone from a cold, dry air, to a warm and moist air like the house.  If it happens as often as you seem to indicate, I'd have it checked by DJI.  They may have a bad seal somewhere.  Fixing that is the only way to correct it in the long run.  I certainly wouldn't put my finger on the lens.  Your hand has all kinds of things on it like oils, lotions, etc., not to mention the possibility of scratching the lens.
2018-1-8
Use props
sica
lvl.4
Flight distance : 679 ft
Israel

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-8 12:14
I don't buy the "it's normal" thing at all.  Condensation happens when you take the drone from a cold, dry air, to a warm and moist air like the house.  If it happens as often as you seem to indicate, I'd have it checked by DJI.  They may have a bad seal somewhere.  Fixing that is the only way to correct it in the long run.  I certainly wouldn't put my finger on the lens.  Your hand has all kinds of things on it like oils, lotions, etc., not to mention the possibility of scratching the lens.

I think you did not understand! The videocamera is hot inside because of its operation and out cold! causes condensation! It's pure physics! It does not concern DJI or user! it's a natural phenomenon!
2018-1-8
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

Mine does not really fog and here is -5C outside. Maybe you can try with some anti-fog cleaning product?
2018-1-8
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Yea but sica point is its not happening to everyone. It has to be bad seals or something. Because i can take mine from 70 degree house to 10 degrees and not see any fogging. Or condensation. Same in the summer
2018-1-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-1-8 16:01
Yea but sica point is its not happening to everyone. It has to be bad seals or something. Because i can take mine from 70 degree house to 10 degrees and not see any fogging. Or condensation. Same in the summer

Same here.  I only fog when I am flying in a cloud/fog and bring it in the house after landing.  The fogging is on the outside in my case.
2018-1-8
Use props
Kannon Kalton
lvl.2
Flight distance : 435922 ft
United States

Do you fly with the lense dome on? If so that is your problem, the cooling system uses a vent behind the camera which would fog the dome up.
2018-1-8
Use props
panders_man
lvl.1
United Kingdom

glad to see some serious replies... I do not fly with the dome on. The DJI products are designed so that &aposhysics' do not cause condensation on the lens. For everyone concerned that this is an issue to do with the cold it is not.... the same issue happens in the Summer and also indoors at the exact same temperature it is stored in.  The issue only occurs when the propellers come on. This has to be a manufacturing fault, yet when I contact DJI about the issue, they question whether I have had the drone near water, which I have not. A lot of money has been spent on a faulty product.
2018-1-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

panders_man Posted at 2018-1-8 06:46
unfortunately, this is not the case, I have tried the above advice numerous times, the issue only happens when the propellers are in use. The camera has not been used in drastically different temperatures, and I have seen examples of videos been flown in extreme conditions without any issues. Where can I get details to return the drone for repair?

Hi, please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2018-1-9
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Big question I've not seen asked, apologies is it has and I missed it, is the fog on the inside or outside of the lens?
2018-1-9
Use props
fans08245629
New
Flight distance : 4675 ft
Singapore

It has happened to me too. It is not physics. It is the camera sealing issue. I kept my gears in a dry box so no moisture can enter the drone. However, upon taking off, this issue occurs. It has rendered my pictures and footage unusable and I HAVE LOST 2 CLIENTS BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM. The condensation take places inside tbe lens and I am contacting the DJI support regarding this. Furthermore this drone is a replacement drone and Ibonly flew it twice and both time the same thing happended. I am really frustrated with the kind of quality they deliver.
2018-1-15
Use props
nnote
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1358048 ft
United States

Im not getting how it only happens when the propellers are spinning...
Maybe what your seeing in the video is a vibration issue? Have you landed and looked directly into the lens and seen it has condensation in it?
2018-1-15
Use props
rjf209
New

Hong Kong

Same with me, I have to keep landing after 2 minutes and wait for the lens to clear. Its only just started so I doubt its caused by temperature change as I've used the drone in a lot of different climates, from warm to cold many times and its only just started. Have you had any luck getting it fixed? Im not sure what to do, I think it must be the sealing on the camera letting in damp air very slowly.  
2018-3-12
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-8 12:14
I don't buy the "it's normal" thing at all.  Condensation happens when you take the drone from a cold, dry air, to a warm and moist air like the house.  If it happens as often as you seem to indicate, I'd have it checked by DJI.  They may have a bad seal somewhere.  Fixing that is the only way to correct it in the long run.  I certainly wouldn't put my finger on the lens.  Your hand has all kinds of things on it like oils, lotions, etc., not to mention the possibility of scratching the lens.

Bad seal sounds bang on here. Never had this issue at all in the years flying a variety of DJI craft. Not normal for this to happen at all. Yes, you could expect some external surface fogging like you would get on wearing glasses in from the cold into warm but not this. Physics aside, personal experience in flying DJI says it's something else which may need addressing.
2018-3-12
Use props
Zonuna
New
Flight distance : 10272 ft
India

I Fix this issue by warping tape around the side of camera, i hope it works with you too
2018-4-18
Use props
Escape Artist
lvl.1

Costa Rica

This is a serious problem, it is definitely a physics problem, I'm not sure I've got it right but want to begin a serious investigation. Please add to responses, "I am assuming" or "just guessing" unless you are certain of some physical system or test results. If you happen to know the physics, then please chime in with some facts. I see the physical system worth study as in the diagram below. I have noted some characteristics of this system as observed (but not tested rigorously):

- The plastic body of the camera gets quite hot during operation (hot to the touch)
- The plastic body of the camera remains hot even after the prop wash is at liftoff velocity for minutes
- The front outer lens cover gets cooler (not hot to the touch) after 30 seconds or more of prop wash (at liftoff speed)
- The last point is suspect because it could be the thin glass does not have enough stored heat to make it feel hot
- On my machine, the condensation doesn't occur until after the props have been at liftoff speed for 15 seconds or more
- We know the system is an open system because the vapor is inside the camera and the manufacturer states it is not a sealed system
- I will assume a closed system for short flight periods assuming the vapor passing in and out is not significant during the flight period
- Letting the machine "acclimatize" as so many suggest does not have an effect on the condensation problem with my machine in my environment (warm moist air of Costa Rica)

My conclusions and assumptions from this (just guessing...please help if you know more about vapor pressure and condensation):

1. The vapor enters the camera over time via the non-seal nature of the camera
2. As the camera heats up, all moisture that is condensed on the inside surfaces of the camera evaporate raising the vapor pressure of the air inside the camera
3. As the prop wash cools the fixed lens cover more than the "insulated" body of the camera, the lens cover alone drops below the dew point
4. The condensation is at the center of the fixed lens because the outside edges of the lens cover are heated by the hot body conducting from the outside edges
5. I need to test this, but it seems that a filter - introducing an air chamber outside the fixed lens cover glass - could possibly keep the lens cover from cooling so much (I'd love to get feed back if this works from someone who has a filter and the condensation problem)
6. It seems the only "good" solution would be drying the inside of the camera (silica gel or some other dry air environment)
7. It seems that keeping the camera out of the bag and in a warm moist environment (the usual advice) is bad advice

2018-4-21
Use props
fansdebde5d4
New
Flight distance : 1037073 ft
Mauritius

Great analysis.
I guess only way is to claim repair from DJI
2018-7-1
Use props
Xtopher4
New

Panama

Escape Artist Posted at 2018-4-21 06:23
This is a serious problem, it is definitely a physics problem, I'm not sure I've got it right but want to begin a serious investigation. Please add to responses, "I am assuming" or "just guessing" unless you are certain of some physical system or test results. If you happen to know the physics, then please chime in with some facts. I see the physical system worth study as in the diagram below. I have noted some characteristics of this system as observed (but not tested rigorously):

- The plastic body of the camera gets quite hot during operation (hot to the touch)

Escape artist and other I see you are in costa rica, i live just east of you in Panama.  I have the foggy lens problem exactly like you describe.  I have not flown for 6 months, back in dry season I did not have the problem.  Now in rainy season the inside of the glass cover fogs, exactly the size of the lens behind.  (No have only flown when not raining, Mavic has never gotten wet and the temputure here is 70 nights and 86 days all year around)

Panders_man I assume you are in a humid climate.

Did you find a solution???

Returning something to DJI for here is very hard.  
Thanks for any help
2018-7-29
Use props
fansdbfa233a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 265105 ft
Indonesia

The internal camera and body are getting hotter when you turn the drone on. The trapped vapour then condense at the coldest place inside camera, which is at the center of the inside part of outer lense.
Literally there is no way to let the vapour out.
If you have courage, heat the lense by heater blower, peel it off by using sharp blade (It is glued by black 3m double tape), clean it or throw it away, cover it with aftermarket ND filter.
I saw it in a youtube channel, but I don't have skill yet to do it.
2019-2-13
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
France

I have the same issue.  When I begin a flight, with the ambient temperature at 65ºF, fog appears on the inside of the glass.  It shouldn't matter what temperature the air is, moisture should never be on the inside of the outer element.
2019-3-2
Use props
fansb2a89949
New
Mauritius

Same problem here...fogging inside the lens when flying..what can I do please? From Mauritius
2019-4-6
Use props
fansb2a89949
New
Mauritius

Zonuna Posted at 2018-4-18 03:08
I Fix this issue by warping tape around the side of camera, i hope it works with you too

Does it still work?
2019-4-6
Use props
kishor900
lvl.1
India

I am having the same issue, It happened 10 days after purchasing the Mavic. Probably I will get it replaced by amazon.
I think adding an ND filter in front of the lens would help, but again that is patch up not a solution.
2019-7-18
Use props
Shervin Koushan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196037 ft
Norway

This is probably an error DJI should take care of. i havent had this exact same issue, but my gimbal usually goes into this weird routine where the footage becomes blurry for a second or two, and it moves like crazy
2019-7-23
Use props
Helpubuild
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28455 ft

Same thing as described and detailed  by “escape artist” just happened to me in NZ. First flight since dry storage over winter (busy with other things) and lens visibly fogged up in centre in front of the lense. 13 deg C56 deg F on a bright sunny day at a height of o more than 6m agl. I could hardy see any image so landed and discovered exactly what escape artist shows. The condensation cleared after about5 minuets in the house but basically renders the MP1 unflyable ! My MP is about 2 years old and DJI Mavic Care not available in NZ !!!  Do we have an assured fix for this DJI ?
2019-10-2
Use props
djiuser_RoKBtrBMDTxz
New

Colombia

Hello from Colombia, having the same problem down here. First day of flights the lens didn't fog up, but day two and ever since the camera fogs up when the propellers are running. Anyone find a fix?
2019-11-6
Use props
lee0
New

United Kingdom

I also have the same issue with my mavic, condensation on the inside during flight, happens during warm and cold conditions
I can’t seem to resolve the issue
2019-11-29
Use props
fansa4fdaad2
New
Flight distance : 10591 ft
South Africa

Hi panders_man, I know you posted this a long time ago but did you have any luck fixing the problem. I read most of the comments below and they either have not read your post or are very clever people!! My Mavic does exactly the same. Picture is clear and as soon as I start the props the lens, on the inside mist up...a tiny little white spot in the middle of the lens. I have recearched a lot of video'son youtube regarding this problem but most of them are a joke, Please let me know what you have done and then I'll share a possible fix...I have not tried it but it sound acceptable. Cheers, Rudi.
2020-1-1
Use props
Gejsen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30627 ft
United States

I have been having this issue as well. I have sent drone in for repair, it appears they just sent a new or refurbished one back and it does the same. I am wondering if there is a negative air pressure around the camera from the props and so causing the dew point to drop. It is a real bummer.
2020-4-19
Use props
mosespro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3155804 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had the same problem.  I just got the mini today and notice blur.  Photos are useless. was so excited when I got it...
2020-5-5
Use props
fansb338ecc6
lvl.1
Japan

I have been having this issue for several months not realizing it. I thought it was just wrongly set Color profile. I was always able to fix it in post production. However it got worse and it start happening in 1-2 minutes after take off every time making my footage and photos unusable. I have contacted DJI support Japan to give me some pointers. All I've got was that it is normal and I have to cool the camera down and fly again and  even if they replace the camera it most likely will return.  I strongly believe it is a design flaw and seeing this forum it is a real issue with the Mavic Pro 1. So I asked myself what can I do as I am unable to use it as it is at all. I have decided to remove the front glass to see if it would help. Thinking I have nothing to loose even if it wont work. Well in short it worked I just had to calibrate the gimbal and IMU for better focus and new weight. For protection I am using a Polar Pro filter covering the lens and it is working fine. I am not suggesting that you follow my sample but before you throw your Mavic in a bin this is still an option. I hope this helps.
Further update on this. After I have inspected the pictures closer I have noticed that the edges are not sharp. I have no way to recover the sharpness so I would not recomend to this option and explore another way. Perhaps replace the lens or aim for a different drone
2020-7-16
Use props
Steve Collova
New

Panama

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-9 00:50
Hi, please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

I have the same problem with my Mavic pro. But I'm in Panama and in the middle of COVID. is there a guide or instructions how I can pop that thing open and air it out? I'm sure I'm out of warranty and shipping alone would cost as much as one of the newer small models. TIA.
2020-7-16
Use props
Steve Collova
New

Panama

fansb338ecc6 Posted at 7-16 19:51
I have been having this issue for several months not realizing it. I thought it was just wrongly set Color profile. I was always able to fix it in post production. However it got worse and it start happening in 1-2 minutes after take off every time making my footage and photos unusable. I have contacted DJI support Japan to give me some pointers. All I've got was that it is normal and I have to cool the camera down and fly again and  even if they replace the camera it most likely will return.  I strongly believe it is a design flaw and seeing this forum it is a real issue with the Mavic Pro 1. So I asked myself what can I do as I am unable to use it as it is at all. I have decided to remove the front glass to see if it would help. Thinking I have nothing to loose even if it wont work. Well in short it worked I just had to calibrate the gimbal and IMU for better focus and new weight. For protection I am using a Polar Pro filter covering the lens and it is working fine. I am not suggesting that you follow my sample but before you throw your Mavic in a bin this is still an option. I hope this helps.

How did you open it up? I don't want to remove all the screws I see and have 30 tiny pieces just fall out.
2020-7-16
Use props
fmasarovic
lvl.1
Japan

Steve Collova Posted at 7-16 20:03
How did you open it up? I don't want to remove all the screws I see and have 30 tiny pieces just fall out.

I did not open it I have cracked the glass with a tiny drill bit and then removed all the pieces. It was not difficult. Just make sure you are not aiming the drill onto the middle of the lens. Aim at the corner so you avoid damage to the main area - just in case!

I have seen one video where the glass was lifted with a razor blade but it did not work for me   
Before you go ahead please note that I have discovered unsharp edges after removing the glass. I am out of options for now
2020-7-16
Use props
djiuser_JV5MKxfba7QN
New

Madagascar

Zonuna Posted at 2018-4-18 03:08

Do you have pics please?
2020-8-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules