Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro disconnected & lost
1403 26 2018-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timpanic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20072 ft
New Zealand

I fly my Mavic Pro regularly, usually over my house capturing the sunset view I keep the firmware updated and it has been behaving normally.

But on Dec 30h the Mavic Pro suddenly disconnected & is now lost.
I was flying at a distance of 750m and was 50m high, above water - filming some yachts.
I was shooting video at the time, I had 17 satellites and 70% battery, no warnigns of any kind.
Suddenly all signal disconnected - no video, no control.

When I took off from a beach it registered the RTH location, and RTH was set to fly home at min imum height of 30m
and there were no obstacles between me & the last location of the drone.

At first I waited for the drone to RTH, and reconnect. Nothing happened.
I pushed the RTH button on the controller, it beeped but nothing else happened.
I then waited for the drone to RTH when its battery got to 30%. Nothing happened.

So my Mavic Pro disappeared, and is presumably at the bottom of the harbour.

I retrieved all data from the app including video, flight data etc
It shows what I explain above - drone is working normally,
battery has a linear decrease from 100% to 70% at point of disconnect.
17 satellites, no warnings during the flight at all.

But at the point of disconnect all data ends, and the final GPS position
is in the middle of the harbour, where the cached video ended.

Why no RTH?
Was there a power loss? If so, how?
  The flight records show the battery had a linear decline from 100% to  70%
  There was no low power warning. Why would the drone suddenly lose all power?
  The video shows i did not hit anything. How could there be an instant 100% power loss?

Or did its firmware crash?
  How could it suddenly stop functioning?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice.

I contacted DJI support, sent them all the data and their response was:
there is no record of a failure, and "we could not verify what happened  afterwards."
so they offered me 30% discount on a replacement Mavic Pro.

But here is the thing: my Mavic is only 8months old, so still under warranty.
The flight data shows I was using the drone under completely normal circumstances,
and yet they will not honour their own warranty.

For your claimed case  CAS-1366163-J5Q3N7, we have already finished the analysis, and the  result is as follows:
     1. The aircraft worked in GPS mode  and responsed to the pilot's command well;
2. At T=09:15, H=52 m, D=753.5 m, the  pilot pushed forward the Elevator stick and moved the Rudder stick  leftwards, then the record ended;
3. The home point: -41.1121000  174.8527440, the last point: -41.1183687 174.8493132.

With the record ended without any  sign of abnormality, we could not verify what happened afterwards.

2018-1-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4096506 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man I’m at a loss. Hopefully Dji gets it sorted out.
2018-1-7
Use props
timpanic
lvl.1
New Zealand

Thanks - it seems incredibly short sighted of them - I appreciate support staff follow a script and have no authority.
I asked for this issue to be escalated and re-assessed but received a fairly sanctimonious reply.

Next?
I simply can't spend more money on a product if (a) it could happen again and (b) the company who makes it won't honour their own warranty.
I wont deal with companies who do not honour their own warranty.
So I will wait for a proper response and if it is not forthcoming,
first I will sell all my other 5 Mavic batteries, chargers, controller, case, and DJI googles.
Then I will cancel my plans for future upgrade to Phantom 5 Pro or Inspire, which I was aiming to do later this year.
Then I will start researching other drone companies.

Seems so bizzare to be in this situation.
Before the Mavic I owned a Phantom 3 Pro for many years, so I can keep flying it.
It disconnected once in many years of use, and that was due to being on edge of range.
It started a RTH and within a minute was back in range & reconnected, and I carried on flying.

This is a catastrophic fault with the Mavic Pro.
If I had been flying low over land when it happened, maybe I could have retrieved the drone.
But I fly over water very often, and apart from a total failure such as this, it should be no problem.
2018-1-7
Use props
fansfb1bf277
lvl.4
Flight distance : 104449 ft
Ukraine

it could be a bird hit the drone and then battery disconnected
2018-1-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Upload the flight log (TXT file from your mobile device) to PhantomHelp using these instructions and post a link in this thread to the uploaded log file.
2018-1-7
Use props
timpanic
lvl.1
New Zealand

I don't think it hit a bird as I was shooting video when it happened and the video & all signals just stop suddenly - I would expect to see some shaking or impact prior to disconnect if it hit something.... If a bird hit it, it would have had to completely take out all power instantly, which seems unlikely.... and there are no birds in video

Flight Record uploaded, here is link:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/1RA0XKIMW23QWA2DHZQ4/

2018-1-7
Use props
timpanic
lvl.1
New Zealand

Here is link to youtube of video I was shooting when disconnect happened...

When the video ends that was the point when all signal & control was lost
2018-1-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106699 ft
  • >>>
United States

timpanic Posted at 2018-1-7 15:04
I don't think it hit a bird as I was shooting video when it happened and the video & all signals just stop suddenly - I would expect to see some shaking or impact prior to disconnect if it hit something.... If a bird hit it, it would have had to completely take out all power instantly, which seems unlikely.... and there are no birds in video

Flight Record uploaded, here is link:

Everything looks fine...
2018-1-7
Use props
timpanic
lvl.1
New Zealand

And view of flight record

2018-1-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

Damn... that's unfortunate. Sorry for your loss
2018-1-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

As Tviscomi said, the log doesn't show anything unusual or give a hint as to what happened. If I were to guess I'd say that there probably was a complete loss of power for some reason, but that's just speculation.

so they offered me 30% discount on a replacement Mavic Pro.

Yes, that's their standard practice.

and yet they will not honour their own warranty.

I sympathize with your situation and don't doubt your description of events at all, but the problem from DJI's perspective is that the log doesn't definitively show that the drone was lost, hence their "could not verify what happened" comment. The discount offer is their way of compromising and acknowledging that it might have been a defect.

I asked for this issue to be escalated and re-assessed but received a fairly sanctimonious reply.

Unfortunately, that also is not unheard of. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or just a case of poor translation but some of the comments I've read from DJI support in cases like this have really surprised me.

I simply can't spend more money on a product if (a) it could happen again and (b) the company who makes it won't honour their own warranty. I wont deal with companies who do not honour their own warranty.

That is a very understandable attitude.

Then I will start researching other drone companies.

I don't think you're going to find anything that delivers the same value, at least when it works correctly, which DJI's products do most of the time. Unfortunately you've encountered one of the exceptions to the rule.
2018-1-7
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106699 ft
  • >>>
United States

I take a strange approach when flying my DJI Platforms (Spark all the way up to my I2).  Each time I fly I keep it in the back of my mind that something disastrous may happen (i.e. crash).  At that point I decide what device I want to fly in a  particular environment, the Spark doesn't count because it sucks.  Example, I will NEVER fly my $5,000 I2 over water no matter how great the shot might be.  Yes I have DJI Refresh, yes I have SF insurance, but who needs the hassle of filing a claim.  I understand that many of you don't have the luxury of being able to own varying DJI products.  Thus the conscious decision needs to be made, "can afford to lose this drone", if not then try to fly it within a controlled environment.  Let's face we are dealing with the law of gravity here and mixed with high tech electronics , well anything can happen.
2018-1-7
Use props
timpanic
lvl.1
New Zealand

Thats a fair enough attitude. I buy a drone based on the fact I will be flying it over water (coastlines are the landscapes I want to shoot) and that the drone has some basic failsafes built in. This time the drones failsafes failed, and DJI really take no responsiblity whatsoever. The bottom line is the RTH failed and it was not due to pilot error. The 30% discount is a token gesture - what is the actual cost of the Mavic Pro? The 30% discount is likely not even equal to the margin their resellers get. So there is no cost to DJI at all, but in this case it is the loss of a repeat customer. C'est la vie.
2018-1-7
Use props
user52ca6757eb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170098 ft
United States

That sucks! I am having the same issues with DJI support. Good luck.
2018-1-7
Use props
Wirezfree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure how deep the harbour is..??, or what the tides are like..??
But if it just failed and dropped, with the "Red Buoy" being just below it maybe you could get a local dive school/club to do a dive..??
Who knows..??

https://tinyurl.com/Drone-Last-GPS-Loc
2018-1-7
Use props
fans3578d26a
New
Flight distance : 17054 ft
Australia

My mavic pro lost as well due to the iPhone app crashed. I restarted app and it never connected again. That's definitely a bug in the app.
2018-1-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

fans3578d26a Posted at 2018-1-7 20:19
My mavic pro lost as well due to the iPhone app crashed. I restarted app and it never connected again. That's definitely a bug in the app.

It isn't lost due to the app crashing.  You don't even need the app to fly.
2018-1-7
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Captain
Flight distance : 1279216 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-7 22:20
It isn't lost due to the app crashing.  You don't even need the app to fly.

This is True.

Whenever there is an app crash just press towice the RTH button on the remote controller.
2018-1-7
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Captain
Flight distance : 1279216 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

This case that we have here seems to be a power off that cuases the loss of the mavic. But what is strange is that in case of power off this should be because of the battery either fallen or a malfunction, the first is possible with the Spark not the Mavic, the second needs proof by the flight record.

2018-1-7
Use props
timpanic
lvl.1
New Zealand

the flight record is already linked to above
no warnings, no signal degredation or unexpected drain on batteries...

here it is again:
2018-1-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Tim, I'm sorry for the unpleasant experience first. Per the case number you offered, we've checked all the info and data you offered, it is indeed difficult to know what happened after the disconnection. I feel your pain and it might be hard to accept the result, thus I've forward this to the designated team for further assistance. They will take care of your case and keep follow up. Hopefully we can figure it out soon.
2018-1-8
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Does the Royal Police College have a new drone jammer?
2018-1-8
Use props
Ricardo Ghion
Captain
Flight distance : 1042037 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

fansfb1bf277 Posted at 2018-1-7 14:14
it could be a bird hit the drone and then battery disconnected

That's what I thought too.
2018-1-8
Use props
timpanic
lvl.1
New Zealand

Thanks Susan...

re birds, do you see any birds in the video?
And if it was due to a bird hit I would expect to see an impact or shake in the video, before the battery came out? Otherwise a bird impact would have to totally disconnect the battery instantly... I dont have a Mavic any more obviously but if you do, try this yourself... From my memory the battery is very securely clicked into place... If a mysterious bird suddenly appeared when there are no birds anywhere in the entire video, it would have to be fairly dextrous or moving very fast & have a direct hit and obliterate the entire drone?
2018-1-8
Use props
HobbesyWanKenobsy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233465 ft
Portugal

Hi!

I was flying in LOS and had the exact same problem! The drone was RTH per my command and all of a sudden I lost the connection and it continued moving forward (towards home) but started to descend. It was at 300m high and i stopped seeing it after it went behing a 10 store high building (aprox 40m high)

The last known position was at 300m high and DJI claims the log is normal. However if you lose the connection the drone should return home or if the battery is critically low, hover and land at that position. In my case I clearly saw the drone with horizontal and vertical speed which doesnt make any sense.

I looked for the drone in a very large area around the last know position. Did the way it should have done RTH. No drone.

Dji claims as the log didnt end abnormally they see nothing wrond with the hardware.... well If losing connection is the first sign of a hardware malfunction they will never have logs of these situations!!!! The drone may disconnect the emitter or lose signal normally and then have a problem. How do we prove this?!?!?!

Any suggestions?

Thanks
2018-12-6
Use props
djiuser_sUgovG6Ddmwk
lvl.1

Philippines

Had same problem, and dji wasn't helpful at all.
Sorry for your loss
4-9 22:53
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 2688960 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_sUgovG6Ddmwk Posted at 4-9 22:53
Had same problem, and dji wasn't helpful at all.
Sorry for your loss

Hiya,

check always the date of the last post.....you did react to a 2018 post...

If you want help/advice ; upload your flightlog and start a new thread.

cheers
JJB
4-9 23:07
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules