Old Pilot New to P3P Technology
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OldSchoolPilot
lvl.1

United States

Hi,

I looked and searched but I am not quiet sure of how to search for my question I want answered.  Flame away for me being technology  dumb but  I have read a lot  and still I am confused as to what to do. I will start by saying I did regiester with the FAA and paid them my 5.00. I am a member of the AMA ( model plane flying AMA)  and I have flown gas and nitro but never battery helicopters.  I want to have some fun with this fancy technology.  On to my question............

I bought a used P3P for a song and it fired up and seller assured me it flies.  

When I installed  DJI-GO on my android  and go the   P3P remote to show video and could start the drone  ( NO BLADES on it as it is cold and winter  and no flying in the house )  I have the following information:

APP  3.123
VER  1.11.20
RC  1.9.2
DB 01.00.01.05

DJIGO 3.1.23

So do I HAVE to do some updating via the little card in the camera  or am I good to go? I see lots of people complaining about  firmware ruining the drone or  the drone going  goofy on them I do not want to ruin a good thing. So, please let me know what I need to do that is the best  approach for  me here.  Thank You in advance.

2018-1-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

This webpage should answer most of your immediate questions:
https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-pro/info#downloads
Look for P3P Release Notes: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... +Release+Notes_.pdf
This will tell you the latest FW etc. that is out there, if you are all up to date then it doesn't matter as there is no reason to do any updating.  If not, well then I cannot assist you further as I don't have a P3P, so I'm sure some others that do will be along that can add their 2 cents.
Best
2018-1-7
Use props
OldSchoolPilot
lvl.1

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-7 19:43
This webpage should answer most of your immediate questions:
https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-pro/info#downloads
Look for P3P Release Notes: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/20170706/Phantom+3+Professional+Release+Notes_.pdf

OK Thank You  I have read stuff just not quite getting it  in the brain lol
2018-1-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

OldSchoolPilot Posted at 2018-1-7 20:00
OK Thank You  I have read stuff just not quite getting it  in the brain lol

May I suggest you get specific with your questions then...list them out
While I can't talk about P3s I can possibly help with other areas...even if I'm unable others will, or at least try.  The problem here is knowing who you can trust or rely on that actually knows what they are talking about.
2018-1-7
Use props
OldSchoolPilot
lvl.1

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-7 20:20
May I suggest you get specific with your questions then...list them out
While I can't talk about P3s I can possibly help with other areas...even if I'm unable others will, or at least try.  The problem here is knowing who you can trust or rely on that actually knows what they are talking about.

Hi,

I am asking if i should leave the  firmware etc as is or do I  flash new updates on to my  craft and controller

or leave it alone? I do not like things I hear about like geo fences etc.r
2018-1-8
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

OldSchoolPilot Posted at 2018-1-8 09:10
Hi,

I am asking if i should leave the  firmware etc as is or do I  flash new updates on to my  craft and controller

OK got it...
My suggestion is make a test flight, close in low altitude.  If she flies without problem and no issues then expand your following flights.  If after a few flights you have no problems, then leave it alone it is good to go.
IF on the other hand you would prefer to update the bird but you are unsure or if you do have problems that require updating, then make another Post that has a title more to the point like Should I update my P3P.  List the same data noted above and with that you'll get a lot more opinions about the topic.  My suspicions are your title for this thread is not getting others to take notice, either that or change the title of this post.  I think starting clean would be better.
2018-1-8
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Simple answer Old School .............. Its fine ... go fly !!

You have the latest installed ....

Make sure you have all your preferred settings ... go through each GO menu item and read ...

Make sure you appreciate what the knobs and switches do on the Controller ... its not called Transmitter with these guys because its a two-way communication item ...

The most important on the controller is the RTH button ... next is the P-A-F switch ... normal flight is P ... that gives all the GPS support and stability.

I know we don't like it - but read the manual - not the piece of scrap in the box ... download the full job from DJI site ... there's a lot that simple looking controller can do ..

Yes it looks like a toy Tx compared to our 9xr ... Spektrums etc. - but it will save your life knowing the buttons. When the APP craps out on the screen - which it will do one day - you will still have that button to save you ...

Welcome to the Drone world ... looking fwd to great videos !!

Nigel  
2018-1-8
Use props
OldSchoolPilot
lvl.1

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-1-8 09:17
OK got it...
My suggestion is make a test flight, close in low altitude.  If she flies without problem and no issues then expand your following flights.  If after a few flights you have no problems, then leave it alone it is good to go.
IF on the other hand you would prefer to update the bird but you are unsure or if you do have problems that require updating, then make another Post that has a title more to the point like Should I update my P3P.  List the same data noted above and with that you'll get a lot more opinions about the topic.  My suspicions are your title for this thread is not getting others to take notice, either that or change the title of this post.  I think starting clean would be better.

Yes, sorry for my bad formatting I will fire it up and take it slow and easy then see what to do. I have read a lot but  some things are confusing to me heh Thank You for the kind guidance
2018-1-8
Use props
OldSchoolPilot
lvl.1

United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-8 09:27
Simple answer Old School .............. Its fine ... go fly !!

You have the latest installed ....

Nigel,

Thank you for the kind works and advice. I got this  about a week ago and have been reading everything i can  yes RTH is a saver  I have been watching  lots of  U Tube vids to get an idea and I will soon be in the air. I can fl y a gas or nitro but there is so much to the controller it is unreal lol

Thanks again ! !
2018-1-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Lots of good info here:  https://phantompilots.com/thread ... .87175/#post-901549

Good luck
2018-1-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

One suggestion to any new pilots. RTFM.

Thank me in the morning. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-8 15:51

Fine, but what if he does not know what RTFM means? Better to talk in non-jargon terms.

To Old_School, he is suggesting you read the flight manual, which you have to download from the DJI site.

2018-1-8
Use props
OldSchoolPilot
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-8 15:51

I got this  about a week ago and have been reading everything i can  << I READ THE F 'IN MANUAL lol  

2018-1-8
Use props
OldSchoolPilot
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-8 16:23
Fine, but what if he does not know what RTFM means? Better to talk in non-jargon terms.

To Old_School, he is suggesting you read the flight manual, which you have to download from the DJI site.

Already did. the manual does nothing to tell me if I should  flash  my   craft or not there is no clarity. i am going to  just fly it and see what shakes out  then use RTH if I need to  

2018-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

OldSchoolPilot Posted at 2018-1-8 19:58
Already did. the manual does nothing to tell me if I should  flash  my   craft or not there is no clarity. i am going to  just fly it and see what shakes out  then use RTH if I need to

At the risk of boring everyone over a story told many times, I have not updated my P3P since I bought it 2 or more years ago. I also disabled updating of the app as well, and it has flown absolutely faultlessly since.

Regarding RTH, use it once or twice to see what is does, but don't rely on it. Learn to pilot the aircraft as much as you can manually. Reliance on RTH to get you out of trouble is bad practice.
2018-1-8
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

The RTH function is one that can lead to differing opinions. Primarily its a 'Get you Home' failsafe.

I use it a lot - quite often I am at a distance that orientation can be lost. Relying on video and track map. The easiest way to start a run home is to hit the RTH button and then AC will orientate itself to direct home. In anything except strong wind conditions where it may be fighting - it will also run home automatically compensating for drift ....

Flying manually I would expect Old School to be a person to want to learn ... unlike many who enter the DJI world - he already is an RC flyer. Its funny actually because that can have its drawbacks !! The stick commands differ from fixed wing and occasionally can lead to 'moments' !!

My main advice to anyone is to learn the buttons and switches on the controller ............. too many I see and read rely on the display and touch screen. When that dies - the controller is the saviour.

Each to their own ...

Nigel
2018-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-8 16:23

Isn't that terribly obvious? RTFM = Read The Flight Manual?
It should be a mandatory prerequisite to owing any RC aircraft. Even the Tiny Whoop.

I don't say it to be rude or arrogant, but only seriously & mean it. There are way too many "incidents".

RedHotPoker
2018-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

OldSchoolPilot Posted at 2018-1-8 19:56
I got this  about a week ago and have been reading everything i can

Flight Manual, to be Politically correct. Haha

This is after all, a Chinese outfit we are dealing with...

RedHotPoker
2018-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

OldSchoolPilot Posted at 2018-1-8 19:58

It's true that you don't have to go through the process of updating your drone.

Some here refuse to believe that updates are great for fixing any previous problematic firmware.

But if you never had any problems, why update? That is your aircraft, and you're the pilot.  Knock yourself out. Ha

Personally, I enjoy the update procedure, and have done each and every one that has been released, since my Phantom 3 Pro was brought out to the public. & We ordered it before they were even available.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-1-8 20:03
At the risk of boring everyone over a story told many times, I have not updated my P3P since I bought it 2 or more years ago. I also disabled updating of the app as well, and it has flown absolutely faultlessly since.

Regarding RTH, use it once or twice to see what is does, but don't rely on it. Learn to pilot the aircraft as much as you can manually. Reliance on RTH to get you out of trouble is bad practice.

Your stories are never boring. ;-)

Feel free to iterate...

RedHotPoker
2018-1-9
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3494669 ft
  • >>>
Spain

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-9 01:54
Your stories are never boring. ;-)

Feel free to iterate...

rolling the floor mainly
2018-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

If you drop enough, then yes, you can roll the floor. Haha

If you live in a grass hut, then please leave the floor alone. Chuckles

Are you bowling? Snickers

RedHotPoker
2018-1-9
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3494669 ft
  • >>>
Spain

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-9 02:04
If you drop enough, then yes, you can roll the floor. Haha

ahh .. then you mean high speed on ice
2018-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-1-9 02:07
ahh .. then you mean high speed on ice

Yes, speed skates are Great. Say it like Tony the Tiger would... Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-1-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Trouble is with RTFM .... as most know - the F is not meant to be short for FLIGHT ... nor for the nicer word FLIPPIN ...

Nigel
2018-1-9
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-9 03:34
Trouble is with RTFM .... as most know - the F is not meant to be short for FLIGHT ... nor for the nicer word FLIPPIN ...

Nigel

What!  Awe seriously...and here I thought RHP was an upstanding forum citizen that was both clean in his comments and meanings, I'm truly shocked!
2018-1-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

RHP ... upstanding ??  Has he been in the Girls locker-room again ?

Nigel
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules