New User Tip: Free Mode, Follow Mode and Re-Alignment
3080 4 2015-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Here's something for relatively new users who have mastered basic operation of the Inspire to play around with as it can be quite useful when shooting video.  These are the gimbal operating modes described on page 38 of the current Inspire manual.

The normal mode for the Inspire camera when the app is first activated is "follow" mode.  In this mode the camera points straight ahead, and if you turn the Inspire it will follow the turn (while smoothing out the motion).  This is useful for shots where you're flying toward or away from the subject, but in some cases such as using the Inspire to fly a left or right dolly shot, particularly if it is not precisely at right angles to the subject, there's another mode that can be helpful.

I'm referring to "free" mode.  In free mode, the camera will continue to point in the same direction even if the Inspire turns one way or the other.  This is the mode you most likely want to be in if you have a separate camera operator.  But free mode can also be very useful for the single operator.  Consider: set up a shot in follow mode by pointing the Inspire directly at the subject.  Switch to free mode.  You can now turn the Inspire left, right, or even 180 degrees, and the camera will continue to point in the same direction regardless of the aircraft's heading.  You can fly left or right, toward or away from the subject, making course corrections as needed, and the camera will remain pointing in its original direction as long as you don't over-rotate and hit the limit of the gimbal's rotation.  (This is NOT "point of interest" mode - we're still waiting for that).

If you use this mix of follow and free modes, remember that by the time you're done with your shot the camera is no longer facing forward, and this can be confusing when flying.  The far-right alignment mode as it appears on the app, "re-alignment," will instantly point the camera forward again.  Tap the re-alignment button to regain your bearings.  When flying home, put the camera back in follow mode and tap the re-alignment button one more time to ensure the camera is once again facing straight ahead.

Hope this helps some of the folks who are still exploring the Inspire's capabilities.

2015-4-21
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Thanks Pete...I could have used that today while doing some filming in the badlands of Alberta Canada today...I will definetly practice it next time out.
2015-4-21
Use props
Tarekic
lvl.1

Lebanon

awesome, thanks!
2015-4-22
Use props
Reevanth
lvl.1

India

Here's a quick video explanation:
2015-7-19
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I have my custom buttons set up to switch between free and follow ... And for re-alignment.
This is very usefull when you are a single pilot!
2015-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules