2280 12 2015-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frandenr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4026 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 1640 foot flight radius distance limit, forces the drone pilot into a circular fight pattern.
Forced into this circular flight pattern, I have found that the point of interest that I want to record,
to be just out of my reach.

I do understand that DJI imposed this limitation to protect the pilot from running out of battery power. However, by forcing this limitation, DJI makes the following assumptions.

1. We all fly the same way. (Too far out to be able to return.)
2.  No DJI customer is capable computing a returnable flight plan.
3. We all want DJI protection.

Most of my flight plans call for 3 to 4 waypoints at most. I like to fly directly to the point of interest that I want to photograph or record, and then maneuver my way back for a safe landing.
I always have 70% battery or better when I return from recording my video or photograph.
I even considered using the hacked software version that removes this limitation, but being a former programmer, I know how many things can go wrong.
Please reconsider this arbitrary limit.  Give us a choice. Include a software switch that allows us to turn this limit off. Imposing the radius limitation on top of the 3.1 mile flight distance seems redundant.
Thanks for your attention.
An otherwise enthusiastic customer.
Dennis Frantz
2015-4-21
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I assume you are talking about the 500m restriction in the Vision app version of ground station.
Most countries now have the "maintain visual line of sight to be able to detect and avoid collisions" statement written into their airspace regulations, 500m is normally the accepted maximum that you can still see enough to do this.
This is why the P3 and Inspire 1 do not have a DJI ground station built in, as leaders in the market DJI have to show that they are doing the right thing and respecting a countries airspace regulations.

So for your problem, you need to take-off closer to the subject, so its within the 1000m circle (500m from the home point in all directions).
Or fly a normal GPS flight and keep control at all times.
2015-4-21
Use props
frandenr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-22 15:42
I assume you are talking about the 500m restriction in the Vision app version of ground station.
Mos ...

Texas has no such line-of-sight restriction. Houston topology is very flat and pretty boring. To find something interesting to record, one must go to a lake or river. That's why the 500m restriction is so crippling. For me to get closer to my subject, I would either have to swim or walk on water. I am not inclined to do either. Freedom of choice is something Texans feel very strongly about.  Since we all paid quite a bit for our flying cameras, we should all insist that we have the freedom to use them, in a legal way of course.
2015-4-22
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I suggest you read Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012), it clearly states that you should only fly within visual line of sight.

2015-4-22
Use props
frandenr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-22 18:23
I suggest you read Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012),  ...

When flying over a lake, line-of-sight is further than 500 meters. Just saying.
2015-4-22
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I am confused...where is this 1600 ft limit being imposed?  In my Phantom Assist software I can set the limits to height and distance and mine are currently set to 390 ft ht / 5200 ft distance.  In DJI Vision app, when flying I can fly more than 1600 ft distance - I know because I have done GS flight over the same field I have flown GPS and the waypoint to the far end of the field is 2600 ft. - as well as GS flights with waypoints as far as 3500 ft.  So where is this 1600 ft limit?
2015-4-22
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

I just flew about 16,000 ft just the other day using waypoints and Vision plus App. 6300 in one direction before I it made its way back. I was over a body of water for most of it.
2015-4-22
Use props
frandenr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-22 19:31
I just flew about 16,000 ft just the other day using waypoints and Vision plus App. 6300 in one dire ...

I am running the DJI-Vision waypoint app for android. It imposes a 500m or 1640ft radius restriction. It will not allow me to plot a waypoint further than 500m. If you have an application that lets you plot a waypoint further than the 500m, I would sure love to have it.
Thanks
Dennis
2015-4-22
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

Im using a 3rd party app.. Vision Plus (cost 10.75). I think it only works with android. Also using Ultimate flight. You can adjust the range in the settings menu.
2015-4-22
Use props
frandenr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-22 20:06
Im using a 3rd party app.. Vision Plus (cost 10.75). I think it only works with android. Also using  ...

Thank you very much. Just like that you solved my issue. No lawyers, no government, no FAA regulations. Just free enterprise. I do love this country.
2015-4-22
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-22 19:31
I just flew about 16,000 ft just the other day using waypoints and Vision plus App. 6300 in one dire ...

where were you flying?  you got a 3 mile range out of your RC or was it a programmed flight?
2015-4-22
Use props
frandenr
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-4-23 01:48
where were you flying?  you got a 3 mile range out of your RC or was it a programmed flight?

I would again like to thank davidw1963 for his Vision Plus recommendation. I tried it out this morning and at first glance, it seem much richer in function than the DJI app. Thanks again.
2015-4-22
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

That's why I like my IPad GroundStation....let her fly...no limits on distance
2015-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules