8182 58 2018-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
drn3px69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

I have a doubt about these holders specifically:
Can be possible that put the phone/tablet on these type of holders can cause some interference on the remote because stay too close of the antennas or work well?
Any experiences?
(holder in the photo is from PolarPro, but exist various similar)
Thanks!

Phone Holder

Phone Holder

Phone Holder

Phone Holder

2018-1-8
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

I don't like how it blocks the antennas in one direction.
2018-1-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It seems like a more convenient position to watch the screen (not blocking your controller), but I'm not sure about the antennas
2018-1-8
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

Thanks for the answers!
Anyone one have in use this specific model of PolarPro holder? Thanks again!
2018-1-10
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.2

United States

I work at PolarPro and would be happy to provide some additional insight on this.  The position of the phone has no effect on the controller's antennae - if the signals from the phone were going to interfere with the controller's communications, this would also happen when the phone is in the controller's brackets, so the mounting position would not matter either way.  The radio frequency the controller uses to communicate with the drone cuts right through any signals from the phone or tablet, though, so any interference tends to come from other sources - radio towers, military installations, solar weather, etc.

On a personal note, I fly a Mavic and use this mount all the time.  I like the position of the phone better than when it is in the brackets (I'm not having to constantly raise and lower the controller to look at my screen), and I have never felt as though the antenna movement was impeded by its presence.  Hopefully this information helps, but please feel free to message us if you have any additional questions.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2018-1-10
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

PolarProSupport Posted at 2018-1-10 09:25
I work at PolarPro and would be happy to provide some additional insight on this.  The position of the phone has no effect on the controller's antennae - if the signals from the phone were going to interfere with the controller's communications, this would also happen when the phone is in the controller's brackets, so the mounting position would not matter either way.  The radio frequency the controller uses to communicate with the drone cuts right through any signals from the phone or tablet, though, so any interference tends to come from other sources - radio towers, military installations, solar weather, etc.

On a personal note, I fly a Mavic and use this mount all the time.  I like the position of the phone better than when it is in the brackets (I'm not having to constantly raise and lower the controller to look at my screen), and I have never felt as though the antenna movement was impeded by its presence.  Hopefully this information helps, but please feel free to message us if you have any additional questions.

Amazing, hyper-complete answer, thanks a lot!!!
2018-1-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems like a hassle putting on and taking off
2018-1-10
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

A CW Posted at 2018-1-10 14:23
Seems like a hassle putting on and taking off

Maybe... But I see the advantage that I can put my S8+ with the cover. Until now, to use the Mavic, I need remove the cover of my S8+ and put into the remote. Also I like a bit more the upper position but I had the doubt about the antennas that Oliver clarified.
Perhaps a nice addition for this would be that have a clip to add my powerbank and would be perfect, sure I take the drill and do this jajajaja
2018-1-10
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

PolarProSupport Posted at 2018-1-10 09:25
I work at PolarPro and would be happy to provide some additional insight on this.  The position of the phone has no effect on the controller's antennae - if the signals from the phone were going to interfere with the controller's communications, this would also happen when the phone is in the controller's brackets, so the mounting position would not matter either way.  The radio frequency the controller uses to communicate with the drone cuts right through any signals from the phone or tablet, though, so any interference tends to come from other sources - radio towers, military installations, solar weather, etc.

I don't care if you work for PolarPro (nice filters, by the way) or not.  This is bull!  The phone has a metal case.  Any metal in close proximity to the antennas will alter the radiation pattern of the antennas.  In the photo shown, the pilot is holding the controller in about the normal position for flying while facing his drone - angled up to see the display and to point the antennas at the drone.  The antennas, unless the drone is directly above him, should be perpendicular to the controller.  That is, straight up and down when the controller is held level.  

With the controller held as shown, the antennas would normally put the maximum radiation pattern in the direction of a drone in front of the pilot, as you want it.  But with the antennas in the position shown, the signal is being directed approximately at the pilot and to the ground in front of him.  Further, the metal back of the phone would help reflect signal from the antennas again, to the ground.

This is a very bad design from the standpoint of interfering with the radio range.  It looks quite good from the standpoint of comfort and viewing angle of the screen.
2018-1-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

drn3px69 Posted at 2018-1-10 14:34
Maybe... But I see the advantage that I can put my S8+ with the cover. Until now, to use the Mavic, I need remove the cover of my S8+ and put into the remote. Also I like a bit more the upper position but I had the doubt about the antennas that Oliver clarified.
Perhaps a nice addition for this would be that have a clip to add my powerbank and will be perfect, sure I take the drill and do this jajajaja

Yeah, everyone will have their personal preferences. For me, the quicker I'm in the air after my preflight checks the better but I get why some will prefer this set up.
2018-1-10
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

A CW Posted at 2018-1-10 14:36
Yeah, everyone will have their personal preferences. For me, the quicker I'm in the air after my preflight checks the better but I get why some will prefer this set up.

I agree!
2018-1-10
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I have a model reminiscent of the one shown - same principle at least. My is just a cheap e-bay model, which is partially 3D printed. Nor have I the impression that it has the least impact on the antennas. Photos can be displayed if anyone is interested.
2018-1-10
Use props
vpasq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 763553 ft
United States

I have used the Polor Pro  phone mount with both my iPhone 6s & 6s Plus and never had any issues with interference at all.  I love the way it positions my phone and I also use the DJI hood at the same time which makes viewing the display absolutely perfect for my eyes, even in bright sunlight.  I also got an extra as a Christmas gift  but as well built as these are, I don’t foresee ever using it, so if anyone wants a BNIB Polar Pro version shipped anywhere in the US free for $24, send me a personal message.  Either way, My experience has been that this is a required accessory in my Drone tool arsenal.
2018-1-10
Use props
PolarProSupport
lvl.2

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-10 14:36
I don't care if you work for PolarPro (nice filters, by the way) or not.  This is bull!  The phone has a metal case.  Any metal in close proximity to the antennas will alter the radiation pattern of the antennas.  In the photo shown, the pilot is holding the controller in about the normal position for flying while facing his drone - angled up to see the display and to point the antennas at the drone.  The antennas, unless the drone is directly above him, should be perpendicular to the controller.  That is, straight up and down when the controller is held level.  

With the controller held as shown, the antennas would normally put the maximum radiation pattern in the direction of a drone in front of the pilot, as you want it.  But with the antennas in the position shown, the signal is being directed approximately at the pilot and to the ground in front of him.  Further, the metal back of the phone would help reflect signal from the antennas again, to the ground.

@ AG0N-Gary The specific physics behind the wave patterns and how the metal in the phone (or the Mavic controller, given that also has metal parts) affects them are a little outside the scope of my knowledge, but for practical purposes the position of the phone on the controller has no effect on the communication between the controller and drone.  We have had no instances of folks contacting us about signal strength, range, or other communication issues when using the Mavic Phone Mount, regardless of antenna position.  This is a fairly popular mount, so if it affected something as critical as the RF signal it is likely someone would have reached out by now.

That said, if you are ultimately still concerned, we would recommend foregoing this particular mount.  Personal preference definitely plays an important role in picking out new equipment, and we would rather you be comfortable with any gear you do pick up.

- Oliver from PolarPro
2018-1-10
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

PolarProSupport Posted at 2018-1-10 17:17
@ AG0N-Gary The specific physics behind the wave patterns and how the metal in the phone (or the Mavic controller, given that also has metal parts) affects them are a little outside the scope of my knowledge, but for practical purposes the position of the phone on the controller has no effect on the communication between the controller and drone.  We have had no instances of folks contacting us about signal strength, range, or other communication issues when using the Mavic Phone Mount, regardless of antenna position.  This is a fairly popular mount, so if it affected something as critical as the RF signal it is likely someone would have reached out by now.

That said, if you are ultimately still concerned, we would recommend foregoing this particular mount.  Personal preference definitely plays an important role in picking out new equipment, and we would rather you be comfortable with any gear you do pick up.

@ AG0N-Gary The specific physics behind the wave patterns and how the metal in the phone (or the Mavic controller, given that also has metal parts) affects them are a little outside the scope of my knowledge

Sorry if it came off strong, but I've been around RF for almost 60 years.  All of that time, I've been an amateur radio operator, around 40 years in broadcast engineering, and several years in commercial 2-way radio, as well as radar maintenance in the service.  I'm not an antenna design engineer, but I do know enough about antennas and things that influence directionality to know that you can't put the metal cased phone that close to and parallel with the sides of the antenna (where the radiation is), at that frequency, without having effect.  I'm not going to say it isn't going to work at all, but it WILL have effect on the pattern of the antennas on the controller, possibly a negative one.  Until you use NEC software to model the whole package, we don't know.

but for practical purposes the position of the phone on the controller has no effect on the communication between the controller and drone.
The Mavic controller is going to have much less effect on the pattern because it is at one end of the antenna, not in the main radiation pattern like the phone would be when mounted up there with your mount.  I'm not saying it won't work, but the chances of it distorting the pattern are very high.  There will be plenty of stray signal escaping the reflecting surface of the back of the phone, but where most of it goes is anyone's guess without measuring the field.

We have had no instances of folks contacting us about signal strength, range, or other communication issues when using the Mavic Phone Mount, regardless of antenna position.  This is a fairly popular mount, so if it affected something as critical as the RF signal it is likely someone would have reached out by now.

That's not surprising at all.  It isn't going to kill the signal completely, but could have effect on the symmetry of the pattern.  Look how the reflective parabolas work with the antennas.  They have a fairly specific shape, and are spaced a certain distance from the antenna in order to warp the radiation pattern in the desired direction, toward the drone from the controller antenna.  While I doubt that the people putting out these parabolic reflectors have actually engineered the proper distance from the antennas and the proper parabolic arc for that distance, it doesn't have to be perfect to improve things.  In the same way, the phone in close proximity of the parallel side of the antenna can have a negative effect on the signal.  It might not be enough to kill the signal, but it might decrease the strength of the signal going directly from the antenna to the drone antennas.

Absolutely.  The fact that it keeps the antennas from being put perpendicular to the drone direction is enough to keep me away from it.  All said, though, I use my iPad to fly.  I don't know if your mount will hold one, but it would have even more effect than a phone would.  Also, the mount I use allows me to use a strap to hang around my neck in a position that I can readily reach and see both screen very easily.

Sorry for dragging everyone off on a siding, but I was merely trying to counter one of your statements that I strongly disagree with, that the placement of the phone will have no effect on the communication between the controller and the drone.  I know it will.  I just don't now how much it will or will it be positive or negative?  Will it be 1%, 5%, 10%, or even 25%?  I don't know, and I don't have the equipment to measure it.

Thanks for the discussion, Oliver.  Love the filters!

2018-1-10
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-1-10 14:36

Have to agree with that; only time I use a holder is if I want to use my iPad, in which case I use a lower mounted one, turned 180 deg so the arm is further down and does not obstruct the controller screen.

Otherwise even with case on, I don't have a problem putting my iPhone 7 Plus in the holder and get into the air with the minimum delay.
2018-1-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PHL Posted at 2018-1-10 20:02
Have to agree with that; only time I use a holder is if I want to use my iPad, in which case I use a lower mounted one, turned 180 deg so the arm is further down and does not obstruct the controller screen.

Otherwise even with case on, I don't have a problem putting my iPhone 7 Plus in the holder and get into the air with the minimum delay.

Yeah, I use an iPhone 7+ with my Mavic and takes seconds to set up and does the job.
2018-1-11
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-10 14:23
Seems like a hassle putting on and taking off

Yah it takes a little effort, I generally get it installed in 15 to 20 seconds if I am rushing to get a shot. For me its worth it to leave my case on and its a more comfortable viewing angle.

Its probably 5 to 10 seconds slower than taking your case off and trying to get that stock remote cable plugged in.

You can check out the setup videos on the site: https://www.polarprofilters.com/collections/dji-mavic-filters-and-accessories/products/dji-mavic-phone-mount

Most people are pretty stoked on the mount, but everyones got their own preferences.
Happy to answer any questions!
-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-1-11
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Since the frequency that the controller uses and i am guessing but it is in the GHZ range? so the wave length would be very minuscule. Makes for easier to cut through most anything? A person could always turn with the direction the drone is going and would take care of any loss anyway. < this is what i do anyway to keep LOS I will be purchasing one of these in the near future. < i just purchased one so i will see how this works out. I wanted a mount that would be setup for a lanyard but the ones i have seen tilt every which way i guess because of the lightness on the RC.
2018-1-11
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2018-1-11 09:18
Yah it takes a little effort, I generally get it installed in 15 to 20 seconds if I am rushing to get a shot. For me its worth it to leave my case on and its a more comfortable viewing angle.

Its probably 5 to 10 seconds slower than taking your case off and trying to get that stock remote cable plugged in.

How long have these been available to the public for purchase?
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yah it takes a little effort, I generally get it installed in 15 to 20 seconds if I am rushing to get a shot. For me its worth it to leave my case on and its a more comfortable viewing angle.

I don't use a case - I leave that at home and prefer to connect my drone to the RC with the cable the drone came with as it looks more professional than having cables hanging around. The Mavic is all about portability to me and this simply won't fit in my compression case anyway - if I want to take a larger case I may as well take my Phantom 4 Pro.
2018-1-11
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-1-11 10:23
How long have these been available to the public for purchase?

These have been out for about 8 months now.
You can check some of the reviews on Amazon or BestBuy.

Let me know if you have any specific questions on it!
-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-1-11
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-10 14:36

Thanks also! interesting, some like this are my initial thoughts... Maybe, like Oliver explain, is not in big amount but is sure that you explain happen, because I made some reflectors for my routers with cardboard and aluminium sheets and work like a charm! This mean that with a big barrier like a phone this can happen also but maybe is not noticiable in normal flight range.
2018-1-11
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-10 14:46
I have a model reminiscent of the one shown - same principle at least. My is just a cheap e-bay model, which is partially 3D printed. Nor have I the impression that it has the least impact on the antennas. Photos can be displayed if anyone is interested.

Thanks! Yes please, upload a photo with the remote, holder and phone.
2018-1-11
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

vpasq Posted at 2018-1-10 15:19
I have used the Polor Pro  phone mount with both my iPhone 6s & 6s Plus and never had any issues with interference at all.  I love the way it positions my phone and I also use the DJI hood at the same time which makes viewing the display absolutely perfect for my eyes, even in bright sunlight.  I also got an extra as a Christmas gift  but as well built as these are, I don’t foresee ever using it, so if anyone wants a BNIB Polar Pro version shipped anywhere in the US free for $24, send me a personal message.  Either way, My experience has been that this is a required accessory in my Drone tool arsenal.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
2018-1-11
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-1-10 19:00
@ AG0N-Gary The specific physics behind the wave patterns and how the metal in the phone (or the Mavic controller, given that also has metal parts) affects them are a little outside the scope of my knowledge

Sorry if it came off strong, but I've been around RF for almost 60 years.  All of that time, I've been an amateur radio operator, around 40 years in broadcast engineering, and several years in commercial 2-way radio, as well as radar maintenance in the service.  I'm not an antenna design engineer, but I do know enough about antennas and things that influence directionality to know that you can't put the metal cased phone that close to and parallel with the sides of the antenna (where the radiation is), at that frequency, without having effect.  I'm not going to say it isn't going to work at all, but it WILL have effect on the pattern of the antennas on the controller, possibly a negative one.  Until you use NEC software to model the whole package, we don't know.

Thanks again for this great infos and nice discussion. This is what I love for the forums because is good read all the users experience. Thanks!
2018-1-11
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

Yah it takes a little effort, I generally get it installed in 15 to 20 seconds if I am rushing to get a shot. For me its worth it to leave my case on and its a more comfortable viewing angle.

Thanks Jeff!
2018-1-11
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2018-1-11 14:43
These have been out for about 8 months now.
You can check some of the reviews on Amazon or BestBuy.

ok thanks. I ordered one from your site. I saw them at BestBuy but they wanted $6 shipping plus tax so was cheaper to get it from you
2018-1-11
Use props
MakerDude
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1142533 ft
United States

I can't figure out why people are freaking out about putting the phone or tablet next to the antennas. The Phantom series does exactly this and I have never been able to move the controller for my Phantom 4 Pro in such a way that the signal is degraded.
2018-1-11
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-1-11 15:51
ok thanks. I ordered one from your site. I saw them at BestBuy but they wanted $6 shipping plus tax so was cheaper to get it from you

Awesome thanks for supporting our brand!
Let us know if you have any questions,

-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-1-11
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

drn3px69 Posted at 2018-1-11 14:52
Thanks! Yes please, upload a photo with the remote, holder and phone.

2018-1-12
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Argentina

Thanks a lot!
2018-1-12
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

This is the one I use for the Mavic & Crystal Sky also bought mounts for the P3P & P4P, they make virtually every combination of RC to Device.

Evolution 3D    Scroll around to watch installation videos. $44.99-$49.99 USD
2018-1-12
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2018-1-11 20:40
Awesome thanks for supporting our brand!
Let us know if you have any questions,

ok now that i have you here i might bug you for info believe me lol
I do have a question since the pics showed up from another member of your product. Is that a lanyard hookup i see by the bottom USB on the RC? I hope so as that is one thing i wanted. TIA
2018-1-12
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Is that a spot/hole for a lanyard by the bottom USB on the RC?
2018-1-12
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

rolling56 Posted at 2018-1-12 07:11
Is that a spot/hole for a lanyard by the bottom USB on the RC?

I think so. In fact, a lanyard is included when you buy the phone holder. But in my opinion, the hole is worthless because of the location. I don't use it like that.
2018-1-12
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-12 11:15
I think so. In fact, a lanyard is included when you buy the phone holder. But in my opinion, the hole is worthless because of the location. I don't use it like that.

Mine will be here on Tuesday Jan 16th so will see how i like it then. I hope it is what i have been looking for (kind of even) lol Doesn't look like it will have lanyard hookup so....
2018-1-13
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

rolling56 Posted at 2018-1-13 13:35
Mine will be here on Tuesday Jan 16th so will see how i like it then. I hope it is what i have been looking for (kind of even) lol Doesn't look like it will have lanyard hookup so....

Note that the model on the three images is not the one from PolarPro. The one I show is just a cheap item bought on eBay.
2018-1-13
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-1-13 14:06
Note that the model on the three images is not the one from PolarPro. The one I show is just a cheap item bought on eBay.

yup i understood that from the beginning and thanks
2018-1-13
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

Sorry for the noob question but what is the plastic thingy that hides your remote screen?
2018-1-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules