Should I purchase a Phantom 2 Vision Plus
1545 8 2018-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
monteh
New

United States

Greetings

My office is selling our Phantom 2 Vision plus with extra batteries range extender and case. there are a few other options. It has very few hours of flight time. My main concern is the age and support I might be able to get should I need it. I am also concerned with the software and if it is still viable.

I have never flown a drone and have always wanted too. Office is asking 500.00 (which is a bit high, but see this around the 400.00 mark with the extra's.)

Short term I want to learn to fly, long term is to maybe see if I can make a business out of it.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

2018-1-9
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wouldn’t.  You can buy a lightly used 3 std and have a much better bird for less money.  Buy a few batteries afterwards. People have really moved on from the older quads.  Support will end up being an issue.
2018-1-9
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drones like every high tech devices advance very quickly. You would be a lot better off paying a little more and get something newer. The Phantom 2 is seriously old technology and is close to end of life, as Oracle said, support will be an issue.
2018-1-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes, it's still viable.  I fly mine all the time.  it's a lot easier to fly regarding the NFZ thing.  

I would not go $500, I don't care how many extras they want to give me.

Here's one you could have bought a couple weeks ago significantly cheaper.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Pha ... ksid=p2047675.l2557
2018-1-10
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wouldn’t pay more than $150.00, actually I wouldn’t buy it at all, in “drone years” it just turn 100 years old..
2018-1-10
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

I would pass.
2018-1-10
Use props
FredAstra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

Street value is probably 220.00.  Your office is probably basing its 500 price on the price they paid for it,  not taking into account its resale value based in the fact that there have been a stream of later models.

I have a P2V+ myself and it is a great drone.   WARNING ! There has been a widely reported problem with P2V+'s which have been in storage for any length of time.  The problem is that the memory in one of the wifi modules loses it programming.  The end result is that whilst the drone flies OK and records video OK, you cannot see live video on your phone/tablet.  Before buying it I would request that you see a live video feed from the drone.  My P2V+ has this problem as does a friend of mine and a lot of people on this and other forums.

Good luck with it.
2018-1-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nope, I would not.
Camera and drone technology are moving forward very fast.
Save the money and buy a P4A if you are serious about this
Rather cheap nowadays and great camera!
2018-1-10
Use props
monteh
New

United States

Thank you all for your input. I will actually show this to my boss, and you are correct that was based on what they paid. What would you recommend for a first timer? I am not sure if they are still available but I might be able to pick up a spark with a fly kit for 399.00
2018-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules