12Next >
7390 50 2018-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fenit2000
Second Officer
Flight distance : 100279 ft
United States

Hi All. New Spark owner here (no not another flyaway story...)
I have had my Spark since Christmas but have not yet flown her more than a few feet in the backyard. Still reading up and educating myself etc. first....
Anyway, I ordered a second battery. This new battery is very tight when attaching to the AC, to the point that you really need to push hard for it to latch. My initial thought was that it was faulty, because the battery that came with the AC fits easily and clicks in place with just a little pressure. When the new battery is connected it feels good and solid, but I am some what concerned that the added pressure may cause it to pop off at some point. Looking closely at the two latches on either side of the battery you can see there is a definate difference in size between the original battery and the one I just ordered. Remember these are new batteries and the one that came with the AC is only a few weeks old, so it shouldn't be down to wear and tear. I  have read of a similar issues elsewhere, but think that was down to an older battery or after a crash. Has anyone else noticed the variation in required pressure to properly latch their individual batteries?

New Battery

New Battery

Original AC Battery

Original AC Battery
2018-1-9
Use props
Fenit2000
Second Officer
United States

To be clear, the tighter of the two batteries has the longer latching tabs
2018-1-9
Use props
Firehawk989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Interesting, I wonder if they changed the design of the tabs to help prevent battery pop-outs?
2018-1-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Fenit, do not feel worry about it. If the new battery is solid connected with your spark, it won't pop out. We would not recommend users continue to use spark when it crashes before.
2018-1-9
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hmmmm,  I don’t notice an immediate difference in the pictures.  I also wonder if a hush hush change was rolled out.
2018-1-9
Use props
Fenit2000
Second Officer
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-9 19:27
Hmmmm,  I don’t notice an immediate difference in the pictures.  I also wonder if a hush hush change was rolled out.

Take a closer look at the two black triangular shaped locking tabs. One extends further out then the other and there is a significant difference in pressure required to push in and latch the two batteries.
2018-1-10
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Now I can’t unsee it.
2018-1-10
Use props
Shade220
lvl.3
Canada

Same issue with my new battery that pops out, which was probably old stock.  The battery that pops out has the shorter tabs.
2018-1-10
Use props
BlueBox
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49029 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting!
I have 4 batteries, one that came with the spark and 3 I bought more recently; just checked and I have 3 with the larger latches and one with the smaller.
Will power up in a bit and check it the smaller latch one is my original.
2018-1-10
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-9 19:03
Fenit, do not feel worry about it. If the new battery is solid connected with your spark, it won't pop out. We would not recommend users continue to use spark when it crashes before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZh0x_5J5XQ

So what do we do if our battery has the small tab and becomes loose over time? Is there a replacement program going to be put in place as this is clearly a defect due to the number of people having the battery pop out during flight.
2018-1-10
Use props
BlueBox
Second Officer
United Kingdom

just checked my batteries and the one with the smaller latches is the 1st spare battery I bought: production date 2017.6.18, battery that came with the spark is large latch production date: 2017.5.17.
None of them seem to exhibit the issue shown in the other thread about unlatching without using the release buttons.
2018-1-10
Use props
Shade220
lvl.3
Canada

The battery that pops out, small tabs, has a production date: 2017-7
The battery that does not pop out, large tabs, has a production date: 2017-9
Not seeing a day when checking the production date in DJI Go 4
2018-1-10
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

I have 3 batteries ,the one bought with spark have smaller latches . Hmm
2018-1-11
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Wear and tear on the springs? I think the latches are the same length but those spring could have weaken with use and doesn't push the latches up enough compared to newer ones
2018-1-11
Use props
Fenit2000
Second Officer
United States

Both my batteries are less than a month old, so I doubt it is a issue with the springs. The tension on the springs also feels the same to me. The battery that came with the Spark happens to have the shorter tabs as others have noted.
2018-1-11
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Where did you buy the second battery?
2018-1-11
Use props
Fenit2000
Second Officer
United States

Adorama. They specialize in camera equipment here in the States and  are a authorized dealer for DJI.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_1E2tlrU
lvl.4
United States

Bought my SparkFiles
2018-1-11
Use props
BlueBox
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Shade220 Posted at 2018-1-10 08:50
The battery that pops out, small tabs, has a production date: 2017-7
The battery that does not pop out, large tabs, has a production date: 2017-9
Not seeing a day when checking the production date in DJI Go 4

I'm using an iphone with latest app, it provides day, month and year.
2018-1-11
Use props
BlueBox
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2018-1-11 05:00
Where did you buy the second battery?

All my equipment came direct from DJI so they are all genuine.
2018-1-11
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Interesting you should bring this up. I just received a new spare battery and have noticed the same thing: it requires a lot more pressure to snap into place than the batteries I received with the Fly More Combo. Both were ordered from Adorama Photo in NYC. The new battery definitely does not appear to be a 3rd party item.
2018-1-11
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_1E2tlrU Posted at 2018-1-11 06:33
Bought my SparkFiles

Unable to edit my goofed up post.
What I was saying, is that I bought my Spark last week, and both stock bateries have the longer tabs and hold very firm, seems like DJI did a stealth fix.
Recently watched a short video that showed some batteries wont even lock in at all. They seem to click in, but come right out with a little tug.
Glad they fixed it.
2018-1-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I would say it's very likely DJI that did a stealth fix.  Kinda shady IMO.  I have multiple tiny latch batteries and its concerning if DJI felt the need to change the design without issuing a recall.
2018-1-11
Use props
Terp1234
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50906 ft
Netherlands

I came across this clamp at Aliexpress. So there seems to be a market for losse batteries...
12-1-2018 16-26-54.png
2018-1-12
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

See this recent thread https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=128504
2018-1-12
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

I checked all three of mine, the latches all extend fully.  two came with the spark combo bought in July 17, the other bought in august 17.  
2018-1-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-1-10 08:23
So what do we do if our battery has the small tab and becomes loose over time? Is there a replacement program going to be put in place as this is clearly a defect due to the number of people having the battery pop out during flight.

If the part becomes loose, please shoot a video for further check. And we would recommend users mount the battery correctly before flight. Please start a case and provide us the case number when your battery goes wrong and cause accident. We will follow the case and find out the problem. Thanks for your attention.
2018-1-16
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-16 01:48
If the part becomes loose, please shoot a video for further check. And we would recommend users mount the battery correctly before flight. Please start a case and provide us the case number when your battery goes wrong and cause accident. We will follow the case and find out the problem. Thanks for your attention.

Wait, you are saying i need to wait for an accident to occur before you will do anything?
I would rather not do this. If the catch starts failing and you have already released a revised version of the battery with an updated catch, surely you would be liable to replace the poorly designed ones before an accident occurs.
I checked my three batteries, they are all small catch versions and i notice one of them on one side the catch is already worn down. It still clips in but how long it will last I don't know.
2018-1-16
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

RE: New Battery Concern

Please start a case and provide us the case number when your battery goes wrong and cause accident. We will follow the case and find out the problem.

Are you serious?
2018-1-16
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-1-16
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-1-16
Use props
Chazzw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 665213 ft
United Kingdom

I received a new battery this morning and after seeing this I have compared the latch to my old ones.  The new one is noticeably bigger. There has defo been a design change behind closed doors to combat the battery drop out issue which is a good thing!

But lets be real... pre flight check should always include a check that the battery is secure? So if your battery is not latching log a case with support .
2018-1-16
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chazzw Posted at 2018-1-16 05:37
I received a new battery this morning and after seeing this I have compared the latch to my old ones.  The new one is noticeably bigger. There has defo been a design change behind closed doors to combat the battery drop out issue which is a good thing!

But lets be real... pre flight check should always include a check that the battery is secure? So if your battery is not latching log a case with support .

Yes this is part of my normal pre-flight, checking the battery is secure etc but for a DJI Admin to say to wait for an accident to occur then open a case is absurd.
The one battery I have that has a worn catch on one side, at the moment it still sits fairly securely, I can see its going to wear out in the future so its not if, its when! What it if fails mid flight?

I have seen cases on here where people have lost aircraft permanently and all they see in the flight record is that everything is ok then sudden loss of communication similar to the battery disconnecting. DJI have then refused to refund or replace because they couldn't get the drone back.

DJI need to take ownership of this and offer up some kind of replacement program. I don't mind if they just replace the catch with the newer version and ship me my original battery back. I don't want to have to wonder every time I fly if my battery is going to pop out because the catch has worn too much.
2018-1-16
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

BlueBox Posted at 2018-1-11 07:02
All my equipment came direct from DJI so they are all genuine.

Ok just checking, then they (DJI) should respond properly for that
2018-1-17
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 2018-1-16 05:23
Stop complaining... WHEN the accident occurs, just shoot a video and get your 30% of discount to buy a new Spark! WHAT part of what Elektra is saying is not clear???

ps. We should bring a GoPro together with the Spark when flying to be able to film whatever unexpected issues as when the problem is battery related the Spark obviously runs out of power so no video recording...

You are being sarcastic yes!?
2018-1-17
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-1-18
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phew lol
2018-1-18
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

This is not directed to anyone in general.

If the battery falls out due to a design issue, raise a case, if it doesn't...keep flying.  It really is that simple.

Why on earth would DJI announce to the world that there has been a small design change and have every Tom, Richard, or Harry demanding a replacement?
--
Richard was added as the swear filter did not allow me to write the shortened version of the name
2018-1-18
Use props
mallowsthecat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213054 ft
Philippines

Hello Fenit2000,

dont be worried that the aftermarket battery for the spark have this tight feel, this is a normal fabrication issue, the first batch of batteries manufactured for the DJI spark that comes with the unit was made using a earlier fab process which is normal for manufacturing. As a product mature or gets released for production or be released commercially aftermarket parts will be manufactured for support to the products, the manufacturer have 2 option Subcon or Inhouse.

The 1st DJI spark batteries are produced Inhouse (which means they are made by DJI) that is
why it fits perfectly to the spark.

the aftermarket batteries are produced by Subcon(which means DJI asked a third party company
to manufacture specific products for them in this case the battery) . this is why the aftermarket
spark battery have a tight feeling makes it feel its not made by DJI(in reality it is not but its authentic)

Reason for this is manufacturers focus on new market and instead pay third party manufacturers
to continue existing product manufacturing. this gives them more resource on new product
developments.
2018-1-18
Use props
fansa6d9d300
lvl.3
United Kingdom

mallowsthecat Posted at 2018-1-18 23:54
Hello Fenit2000,

dont be worried that the aftermarket battery for the spark have this tight feel, this is a normal fabrication issue, the first batch of batteries manufactured for the DJI spark that comes with the unit was made using a earlier fab process which is normal for manufacturing. As a product mature or gets released for production or be released commercially aftermarket parts will be manufactured for support to the products, the manufacturer have 2 option Subcon or Inhouse.

may i ask if the battery warranty of 6 months is to be extended when a fault to be found with the premature ware of these inferior clips?
2018-1-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules