Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spikeuk76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 441138 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

I know this sounds obvious but........

I have a Kestrel 2000 Anonemeter that I use to check the wind speed direction and temp prior to every flight. What I also do at my rough flight level for the mission is check the wind speed using my P4P. I do this by checking the area is clear, put P4P directly above me, camera down to check. Switch to atti mode and monitor drift, using the speed indicator on the Go app for wind speed, the direction is whatever direction the p4p drifts. I have found that generally up to 25 m the two measurements are within 1kph (Kestrel and P4P).

so....in lieu of a wind meter, switch to atti mode and use the p4p to check the wind speed and direction in your area!!

Might help someone new to the sUAS game!
2018-1-10
Use props
MRF1967
lvl.2
Flight distance : 236 ft
United States

I might try this after I have a little more experience. Thanks for the tip.
2018-1-10
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

That’s what I do as well.
2018-1-10
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting, I will have to try that. Thanks for the info!
2018-1-10
Use props
Edward J Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just a side note:
I have found that you need a pretty good size of space to check the wind speed with this method. Just a cautionary statement for the new fliers.

2018-1-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What I do is check www.uavforecast.com at whatever elevation I plan to max.

Then, if I'm tempted to fly, I check www.windy.com at whatever elevation I plan to max.

Yes, the atti method will work and there is an argument that it's best, but first you have to raise to the altitude you will be flying as there can be an enormous difference between wind speed at near ground level and wind speed at 400 feet, especially in hilly terrain.  Also the atti method uses up precious battery.  

Thanks

2018-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules