New Mavic Pro Firmware Released (11/1/2018)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

OMG...
I think DJI have probably got the message... you want the source code.

patience is a virtue
2018-1-11
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Thanks for the upgrade.
Glad I can now watch my own mp4s on the goggles and panos like with the Racing Edition.
2018-1-11
Use props
theothernt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

Just updated my MPP... and it still works, did I do something wrong?
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 11:59
Well, put it this way - it is not possible without hacking! Which is not something I advocate for safety reasons. If you originally stated you can downgrade by following this link to hack DJI’s FW you would have saved both of us a bit of time. If you also read back you may just notice that I actually state it IS possible to downgrade (officially) IF the downgrade option is available in Assistant 2. My point was that you don't need to waste time downgrading to prove it can be done if the option is still listed.Having just upgraded to .200 I am pleased to see that the option to downgrade to .100 is still there. However, I won't downgrade now to test it and upgrade again (like you did) as I know from personal experience that you can - for as long as the option is listed (hacking aside of course). And what on earth is my not wishing to hack the FW on my drone got to do with my customers - thats hysterical!

You are welcome to keep amending your statement.

I can say without a doubt, it is possible with 'hacking', as well as without.

Your attitude towards security is what relates to my concerns about your customers. Denying something is possible over and over, is something I head from business operators over and over. When you show them it is possible after completing your audit, they tend to sit slack jawed, or try to continue to deny it is. It is something that is very concerning to see.

Cheers.
2018-1-11
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77493 ft
United Kingdom

Updated fine here
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-1-11 12:31
OMG...
I think DJI have probably got the message... you want the source code.

It has been over 6 months, plenty of patience has been extended.

Additionally they told a number of us 'no' outright.

They deserve no more patience.
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 12:42
You are welcome to keep amending your statement.

I can say without a doubt, it is possible with 'hacking', as well as without.

Where exactly have I amended my statement? & I want to downgrade the FW on Assistant 2 below .100 which isn't listed as only .100 and .200 are. How do I do that without hacking the FW as I like to stick within official channels. Please explain as you state this is possible.

2018-1-11
Use props
user2a4e99a6e9
New
Flight distance : 782523 ft
United Kingdom

Any chance you could share the kernel source code please as you are legally required to do so. Many thanks
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 12:47
Where exactly have I amended my statement? & I want to downgrade the FW on Assistant 2 below .100 which isn.t listed as only .100 and .200 are. How do I do that without hacking the FW as I like to stick within official channels. Please explain as you state this is possible.

Your initial statement was "no" then you went on to argue it wasnt possible. When you realized you were wrong, you began adding "without hacking". That is how you amended it. You changed from saying "NO it isnt possible' to "no it isnt possible unless you are <added conditions>".

I already explained why it is still possible to downgrade after upgrading to 1.4.0200 without "hacking" or third party software, feel free to go back and find the post.
2018-1-11
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

So I was reading this thread and someone named "A CW" said it wasn't possible to downgrade this firmware, and then I lol'd.

Hey by the way, since I happen to be here in this thread posting anyways, I thought it might be a good time to remind DJI that it is well past the time to release the GPL source. That would be great.
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 13:06
Your initial statement was "no" then you went on to argue it wasnt possible. When you realized you were wrong, you began adding "without hacking". That is how you amended it. You changed from saying "NO it isnt possible' to "no it isnt possible unless you are ".

I already explained why it is still possible to downgrade after upgrading to 1.4.0200 without "hacking" or third party software, feel free to go back and find the post.

My statements, which remain listed, are very clear - you can not downgrade FW on DJI Assistant 2 or GO 4 if the FW you wish to downgrade to is not listed within those applications. That has been the theme throughout my discussion with you. You replied you can by posting a link showing everyone on here how to hack DJI's FW. Realising you are referring to hacking (and that is not something I am interested in exploring) I stood my points when referring to DJI's applications - which the majority of DJI's consumers and customers will follow, myself included. I then put it to you to show me exactly how to downgrade my FW below .100 without hacking as these options are no longer listed and you stated in post 85 that you can still do this without hacking. I asked HOW you can downgrade below .100 after upgrading to .200 using Assistant 2 and you have so far failed to support your argument by providing an explanation. So, once again, can you please explain or point me to the post number where you explained this. Thanks.
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sigkill Posted at 2018-1-11 13:17
So I was reading this thread and someone named "A CW" said it wasn't possible to downgrade this firmware, and then I lol'd.

Hey by the way, since I happen to be here in this thread posting anyways, I thought it might be a good time to remind DJI that it is well past the time to release the GPL source. That would be great.

Based on DJI's statement in the FW update that is correct. Just because DJI has not as yet removed .100 or made a mistake in their FW statement is not my error.
2018-1-11
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Normally I would go head first into these updates, but I must admit a lot of apprehension after reading many peoples experiences with previous upgrades. This I will wait this out for a while!
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 13:19
My statements, which remain listed, are very clear - you can not downgrade FW on DJI Assistant 2 or GO 4 if the FW you wish to downgrade to is not listed within those applications. That has been the theme throughout my discussion with you. You replied you can by posting a link showing everyone on here how to hack DJI's FW. Realising you are referring to hacking (and that is not something I am interested in exploring) I stood my points when referring to DJI's applications - which the majority of DJI's consumers and customers will follow, myself included. I then put it to you to show me exactly how to downgrade my FW below .100 without hacking as these options are no longer listed and you stated in post 85 that you can still do this without hacking. I asked HOW you can downgrade below .100 after upgrading to .200 using Assistant 2 and you have so far failed to support your argument by providing an explanation. So, once again, can you please explain or point me to the post number where you explained this. Thanks.

Feel free to go read your original replies, you never mentioned a thing about assistant in them.

As far as how to downgrade without hacking, if you can understand the post I made, I don't know what to tell you. I don't do helpdesk work.
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 13:23
Based on DJI's statement in the FW update that is correct. Just because DJI has not as yet removed .100 or made a mistake in their FW statement is not my error.

There is a lesson here, don't trust vendors for factual statements.
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 13:34
Feel free to go read your original replies, you never mentioned a thing about assistant in them.

As far as how to downgrade without hacking, if you can understand the post I made, I don't know what to tell you. I don't do helpdesk work.

Assistant 2 is the tool you use to upgrade FW - so obviously what else would I be referring to.

Which post? I'm starting to get the impression there isn't one... Cop out response. I rest my case!
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 13:34
There is a lesson here, don't trust vendors for factual statements.

That I agree with!
2018-1-11
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 12:46
It has been over 6 months, plenty of patience has been extended.

Additionally they told a number of us 'no' outright.

O.K... they may have valid reasons not to..??
2018-1-11
Use props
kelmers
lvl.1
United States

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-1-11 13:43

they have a legal obligation TO
The kernel is GPL
2018-1-11
Use props
fans74fce28f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14633 ft
United States

DJI Support please help me: Where can I find GPL source code for the update ?? - Thankyou !!
2018-1-11
Use props
dwallersv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1843015 ft
  • >>>
United States

The GNU General Public License ("GPL"), grants DJI the use of certain Open Source computer codes in your products. The GNU license, among others things, requires (but is not limited to) full public source disclosure of modifications made to the source protected by the GPL.

Please contact me via email registered with your site, and give me instructions on where to download this modified source as per the GPL. This is formal, legal request.

Thank you,

David Waller
2018-1-11
Use props
JanN_H
lvl.1
Germany

DJI,
please share the source code as you are legally bound to by the GPL.
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 13:36
Assistant 2 is the tool you use to upgrade FW - so obviously what else would I be referring to.

Which post? I'm starting to get the impression there isn't one... Cop out response. I rest my case!

There are MANY tools to upgrade firmware, and assistant 2 isnt even the only one from DJI that can do it. Have you not learned anything over your YEARS of experience with DJI?

Go back and read. A cop out is your constant ammending your statements.
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-1-11 13:43

They have no right not to, there is no valid reason to not uphold their license agreement.

They are obligated under the license that they accepted and agreed to, to provide such source.
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

法轮功 Posted at 2018-1-11 14:12
He replied by showing everyone how to exercise their 'right to repair', lets start calling "hacking" the "right to repair", ok? drop the negativity...

This is a RIGHT. Especially in the context of *stolen* GPL code.

I am merely asking questions - there really is no need to get so excited! I am stating facts from my personal perspective to someone else to gain clarification on the points they have raised - which quite frankly were not directed to you so stop spitballing your own commentary in my direction thanks and calm down.
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 14:25
There are MANY tools to upgrade firmware, and assistant 2 isnt even the only one from DJI that can do it. Have you not learned anything over your YEARS of experience with DJI?

Go back and read. A cop out is your constant ammending your statements.

No need to as I have never needed to downgrade on IOS - EVER! And I have not amended any statements - you are wrong!
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_yMoVJ0w
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1654 ft
Italy

updated should have thought about it first judging by the comments
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_yMoVJ0w
lvl.2
Italy

new to the site guys, just wondering if i have my mavic set to return home, could i still get a fly away?
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_yMoVJ0w
lvl.2
Italy

new to the site guys, just wondering if i have my mavic set to return home, could i still get a fly away?
2018-1-11
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_yMoVJ0w Posted at 2018-1-11 14:37

Yes, it can happen... People have posted on here.
As a percentage of drones sold & flight hours I think only DJI knows that.
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 14:30
No need to as I have never needed to downgrade on IOS - EVER! And I have not amended any statements - you are wrong!

Fine, you keep changing your statement each time you discover you dont actually now what you are talking about.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_yMoVJ0w
lvl.2
Italy

well just took mine out after updating for a night flight and it came back so that's good lol
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 14:53
Fine, you keep changing your statement each time you discover you dont actually now what you are talking about.

Fun and games aside, perhaps you can enlighten me. I've upgraded my FW on IOS only - best to get that straight. I've just upgraded successfully to .200. When I go back to my FW options I can refresh .200 or downgrade to .100. I have no other options listed in DJI Assistant 2 on IOS. So how do I downgrade below .100 if I ever needed to (not that I ever have as I said). It's an interesting point you made that you know how to do this using offical DJI applications. Bear in mind I don't hack FW (you did say you like the word 'hack' didn't you so I hope you have no objections to me using it). Would genuinely appreciate your insight.
2018-1-11
Use props
FredAstra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

Could someone explain to me what use is the GPL source code.   This is not a defence for DJI, (see my other posts :-)  but am genuinely interested in how this code might be of interest/use to others ?   I have read other posts and I get the legal bit.
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-11 15:05
Fun and games aside, perhaps you can enlighten me. I've upgraded my FW on IOS only - best to get that straight. I've just upgraded successfully to .200. When I go back to my FW options I can refresh .200 or downgrade to .100. I have no other options listed in DJI Assistant 2 on IOS. So how do I downgrade below .100 if I ever needed to (not that I ever have as I said). It's an interesting point you made that you know how to do this using offical DJI applications. Bear in mind I don't hack FW (you did say you like the word 'hack' didn't you so I hope you have no objections to me using it). Would genuinely appreciate your insight.

I have nothing further for you, one thing I have learned in life is that you cant tell someone something if they don't want to hear/believe it. If you honest want to learn, there is plenty material to start off with. You have already decided you and your years of experience know better.

I'll give you a hint, Assistant isn't a single application, its a package of tools. Many things inside that package.
2018-1-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 15:16
I have nothing further for you, one thing I have learned in life is that you cant tell someone something if they don't want to hear/believe it. If you honest want to learn, there is plenty material to start off with. You have already decided you and your years of experience know better.

I'll give you a hint, Assistant isn't a single application, its a package of tools. Many things inside that package.

Thanks for the hint - I appreciate that! BTW - there is far more to flying drones successfully than just the software but it's always good to broaden your knowledge - nobody ever stops learning! Take care.
2018-1-11
Use props
Damo_R
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86142 ft
United Kingdom

Please share the GPL source code! Thanks
2018-1-11
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ReleaseTheSourc Posted at 2018-1-11 14:27
They have no right not to, there is no valid reason to not uphold their license agreement.

They are obligated under the license that they accepted and agreed to, to provide such source.

You are correct... They are obligated under the licence..
Like VMware was... it took 3 years to get it out of them.

I could speculate, theorise and then be labelled a Tin Foil Hat wearing conspiracy theorist
2018-1-11
Use props
ReleaseTheSourc
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-1-11 15:35
You are correct... They are obligated under the licence..
Like VMware was... it took 3 years to get it out of them.

Well I see three reasons they dont want to release it, I will order them in what I believe is most likely:

1) The know the modifications they made to it are buggy, and don't want to expose that.
2) They decided that they don't want to share it, due to risk of competitors using their added code.
3) LeadCore, like many smaller soc manufactures, is providing them as a binary blob.

The VMWare case is quite a bit different, but yes similar in some ways. The difference here, there is no doubt at this point that they are using the the linux kernel. They are not using "small bits" of it.

Their reason for violating the copyrights of so many, mean nothing.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_ycxaw1y
New

United States

GPL requires you to share your changes with the community. Please consider this my request for you to comply.
2018-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules