Flying when Overcast
4447 12 2018-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I still haven't had a dry enough day yet to take my bird out to fly for the first time. There's been lots of drizzle about.

But on drier days with overcast cover do people go fly still? Some of the latest METAR for here for example has said overcast at 300ft which falls lower than permitted flight height.
I'm itching to get out and start building up my hours but I don't want to do something harmful to the device either (obviously I wouldn't be flying through cloud, at least not the first few hours of flying).
2018-1-11
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying when overcast isn't an issue so you should be fine. For me, I wouldn't fly in heavy fog. What P do you have?
2018-1-11
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

You should be fine. Might get a little blurry on your camera lens if you run into a bit of moisture, but short of flying right in the rain you shouldn't have an issue. Although, there have been those that have been caught in the rain and was able to get home safely, but don't think these things are exactly waterproof. LOL Just my opinion for sure. I can understand your wishing t o get out and play a bit............I'm kind of itching to get out too, but it is that time of year for a lot of us that the weather is not cooperating for us.
2018-1-11
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2018-1-11 05:16
Flying when overcast isn't an issue so you should be fine. For me, I wouldn't fly in heavy fog. What P do you have?

P4 Pro.

Fog and rain excepted (and hail snow) are most weather conditions ok to fly in?
2018-1-11
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-1-11 05:23
You should be fine. Might get a little blurry on your camera lens if you run into a bit of moisture, but short of flying right in the rain you shouldn't have an issue. Although, there have been those that have been caught in the rain and was able to get home safely, but don't think these things are exactly waterproof. LOL Just my opinion for sure. I can understand your wishing t o get out and play a bit............I'm kind of itching to get out too, but it is that time of year for a lot of us that the weather is not cooperating for us.

Cheers I did think about blur on the lens. Condensation on my DSLR lenses at this time of year is fairly common
2018-1-11
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hazy Jay Posted at 2018-1-11 05:24
P4 Pro.

Fog and rain excepted (and hail snow) are most weather conditions ok to fly in?

Sure is. Nice... the P4P is an amazing machinery - get out there and enjoy !. Love flying mine but need to wait until the weather improves over here.
2018-1-11
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2018-1-11 05:28
Sure is. Nice... the P4P is an amazing machinery - get out there and enjoy !. Love flying mine but need to wait until the weather improves over here.

Where are you based?
2018-1-11
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

NorthEast - temps currently in freezing conditions. Waiting for that comfortable 40-45 degrees then I'm off to fly.
2018-1-11
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

You don't have to fly at the maximum legal height!

I've made videos flying at 4 foot, and 40 foot is fine for a first flight while you find out how the controls behave, make sure you know how to use Return To Home, and have a little practice with Atti mode etc.

No flying above the clouds though, keep it in sight.
2018-1-11
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

You will be fine  just keep it in sight , i also fly in the Uk and the sun never shines for me so i know what you mean
Fly safe and have fun you will be blown away with your new phantom
2018-1-11
Use props
Hazy Jay
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-1-11 05:56
You don't have to fly at the maximum legal height!

I've made videos flying at 4 foot, and 40 foot is fine for a first flight while you find out how the controls behave, make sure you know how to use Return To Home, and have a little practice with Atti mode etc.

I wasn't saying I'd fly at maximum ;) ha ha I'm not going more than a 100ft probably the first few times. And the only time I'd go through a cloud, on reflection, is if it was very broken and part of a commercial job because of the VLOS requirement
2018-1-11
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Hazy Jay Posted at 2018-1-11 08:15
I wasn't saying I'd fly at maximum ;) ha ha I'm not going more than a 100ft probably the first few times. And the only time I'd go through a cloud, on reflection, is if it was very broken and part of a commercial job because of the VLOS requirement

Hi, not sure about the UK but in the US, if you are flying under Part 107 you have to observe the minimums of visibility from the CS is at least 3 sm and that the small UA is kept at least 500 feet below a cloud and at least 2,000 feet horizontally from a cloud.  Also, It is imperative that the UA not be operated above any cloud, and that there are no obstructions to visibility, such as smoke or a cloud, between the UA and the remote PIC.  I am a Part 107 PIC so I observe these requirements when I fly.    (just an fyi)  

Another thing to consider is that high humidity conditions will degrade the flight performance of your aircraft due to a higher density altitude that exists in those conditions.  Plus the aircraft cooling system is sucking the high humidity into the electronics area that can be damaging to the differnent components inside.  
2018-1-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Jay, I'll prefer to fly in a sunny day as the rain may come anytime. Nothing can not be worse than water damage.
2018-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules