Tips for using Inspire 2 as a handheld gimbal?
5045 16 2018-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidzimm
lvl.1
United States

This is a topic I can't seem to find many useful articles/discussions on, so I thought I'd post about it myself.
Have any of you used your I2 as a handheld gimbal, similar to how you'd capture shots on a Ronin? I saw the DJI team using this method a few times in their behind-the-scenes video for 'The Circle', and I've been very intrigued to try this out now that I have the X7 and DJI lens set.

Are there are any best practices for using the I2 in this way, such as settings that need to be changed for holding the gimbal vs it being carried by the drone? Any easier way to monitor the video feed than carrying the controller, phone/tablet, and drone all at the same time?

Any tips are much appreciated. Thanks!

2018-1-11
Use props
Upper Limit Fil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81683 ft
United States

I know DJI released handle grips so you can hold inspire like in the video: https://m.dji.com/product/inspire-2-handheld-grips
2018-1-11
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Making films are a creative thing why don't you roll up the sleeve and try it. Share your experience with us.
2018-1-11
Use props
davidzimm
lvl.1
United States

DTK Posted at 2018-1-11 20:04
Making films are a creative thing why don't you roll up the sleeve and try it. Share your experience with us.

Not sure why you have to be rude about it. I roll up my sleeves and make films quite often, thanks. Just thought it would be nice to see if anyone out there had any tips/things to avoid so I don't go damaging the brand new drone/gimbal I just invested a lot of money in. But maybe I'm crazy! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2018-1-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hey David, like Fil mentioned, we have released Handle Grips, which could help turn your Inspire 2 into a handheld camera: https://store.dji.com/product/inspire-2-handheld-grips
But it is out of stock right now, please leave your email in purchasing page and we will send you a notification as soon as we have the item in stock, appreciate your interest.
2018-1-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

What you see on this demo video is an creative attempt to transfer a flying camera to a handheld camera in one smooth capture. Dangerous, but doable. With enough practice it'll work just fine and may produce interesting effect of continuous move from - say - the roof of a city hall to a kitchen table in a house two blocks away. You'll need these two holders anyway and an smart pilot to shut the motors down once you grab it firmly and confirm loud and clear (Attention: 3 sec lag!). Be prepared for sudden load on your arms and compensate accordingly.

Said that, the idea of using Inspire 2 as a handheld gimbal has 3 main drawbacks, safety aside:

1. You have no idea how to frame the sequence. With hit and miss approach of several takes you'll get the right one eventually.

2. You must be well fit and agile, Inspire 2 with X7 and batteries is awfully heavy, with no supporting rig on shoulder.

3. The gimbal has no way to compensate for natural up and down body movements while walking with heavy drone. You'll need to master this "ninja walk" ...

Again, doable but ... If only Ronin-like moves are a subject here, you'll be much better with future X7 adapter for Osmo ...   
2018-1-12
Use props
davidzimm
lvl.1
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-12 00:52
What you see on this demo video is an creative attempt to transfer a flying camera to a handheld camera in one smooth capture. Dangerous, but doable. With enough practice it'll work just fine and may produce interesting effect of continuous move from - say - the roof of a city hall to a kitchen table in a house two blocks away. You'll need these two holders anyway and an smart pilot to shut the motors down once you grab it firmly and confirm loud and clear (Attention: 3 sec lag!). Be prepared for sudden load on your arms and compensate accordingly.

Said that, the idea of using Inspire 2 as a handheld gimbal has 3 main drawbacks, safety aside:

Thanks for your input!

And MAN, that is the dream. DJI, if you're reading this, PLEASE RELEASE AN OSMO FOR THE X7! That would be incredible. *crosses fingers*
2018-1-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

davidzimm Posted at 2018-1-12 14:45
Thanks for your input!

And MAN, that is the dream. DJI, if you're reading this, PLEASE RELEASE AN OSMO FOR THE X7! That would be incredible. *crosses fingers*

Back in line, dude! An Osmo adapter for X5S camera is first on wish list ...
2018-1-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

davidzimm Posted at 2018-1-12 14:45
Thanks for your input!

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out how they feed the monitor attached to Inspire boom with some sort of clamp. Apparently it is HDMI cable going from RC output to Atomos monitor input. This film was made before Cendence + CrystalSky era, perhaps these new devices will offer more connectivity options for monitoring with minimal latency. Here's the link for clamping device, although some custom mount will be needed on monitor back as well, Be careful with clamping force - tubes are strong. but brittle and easy to be crushed.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=118019
http://www.filmtools.com/newskincarcl.html

2018-1-12
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been wondering the same thing. If I plan to do it by myself though, I'll need a way to mount a monitor (and likely the controller) to the I2 (or mounting frame of some sort) so I can see what it sees. Not sure how weight would affect my movements either.
2018-1-17
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

I have no experience in "filmmaking" but I can tell you that there is a MUCH easier way for the director to monitor the video feed (a method that I presume any filmmaker would be using), and that is to use the HDMI output from the controller to feed an remote video monitor. Obviously, that depends on what you are able to afford in a video monitor.

It sure would be nice to have a tripod mounting hole underneath the radio controller.
2018-1-17
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I make tripod mounts to hold the bird....
z20.jpg
z21.jpg
z3.jpg
2018-1-18
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-1-18 07:52
I make tripod mounts to hold the bird....

Yes, I've seen your tripod mounts for the aircraft, and they look nice, but being able to mount the radio controller would I think contribute to a nice stable set-up, especially when incorporating additional equipment like a remote video monitor.
2018-1-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Check for some RAM Mounts made for bicycles and motorcycles to attach your gear.  I've seen handles similar to the DJI ones in bicycle shops that clamp onto their handlebars.
2018-1-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DS924 Posted at 2018-1-17 11:41
I have no experience in "filmmaking" but I can tell you that there is a MUCH easier way for the director to monitor the video feed (a method that I presume any filmmaker would be using), and that is to use the HDMI output from the controller to feed an remote video monitor. Obviously, that depends on what you are able to afford in a video monitor.

It sure would be nice to have a tripod mounting hole underneath the radio controller.

DS924, pay attention !!! It's not about what the director see on the monitor while sitting in his/her chair. It is about what a drone carrier see on monitor during his/her walk ...
2018-1-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2018-1-17 07:51
I have been wondering the same thing. If I plan to do it by myself though, I'll need a way to mount a monitor (and likely the controller) to the I2 (or mounting frame of some sort) so I can see what it sees. Not sure how weight would affect my movements either.

Grind, this method makes sense in one scenario only, as demonstrated on DJI video. The drone "grabber" carries her further, guessing how to frame the remaining portion of  sequence. I can't imagine anything else than hit'n'miss approach with several takes. Other demonstrated ways of employing a drone as a handheld or crane camera seems rather ridiculous or desperate ...  
2018-1-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-19 21:55
Grind, this method makes sense in one scenario only, as demonstrated on DJI video. The drone "grabber" carries her further, guessing how to frame the remaining portion of  sequence. I can't imagine anything else than hit'n'miss approach with several takes. Other demonstrated ways of employing a drone as a handheld or crane camera seems rather ridiculous or desperate ...

I agree. I would just hate to "waste" a great camera and lens combination only on aerial shots, you know? I had/have handheld mounts for my Phantoms and Mavic already, to get more bang for my buck. Of course, the Inspire series is a different breed, so I may have to forgo the additional ways to shoot with one.
2018-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules