Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 2 vision plus black screen
15920 16 2018-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DannickH
New

Netherlands

Hi,

I've recently bought a P2V+ and i haven't been able to get live view yet. Here's a list of things I tried so far:
-Resetting the range extender
-Connecting to the wifi network of the drone instead of the extender
-Checking the cables on the gimbal and in the drone itself
-Using diffrent apps like "Litchi for dji drones"
-Booting the RC, Wifi extender and drone in every possible order

The firmware I'm running is:
Main controller: 3.14
GPS:                     6.0.1.6
Reciever-5.8G:   1.0.1.3
P330CB               1.0.2.10
Battery                2.0.0.0
Zen IMU              1.0.0.6

The model number of my drone is: "PV331"

Does anybody know how to solve this?

Thanks

Dji firmware.png
2018-1-13
Use props
DannickH
New

Netherlands

Also tried Pinging the IP adresses: 192.168.1.1      192.168.1.10      192.168.1.2    on the wifi extender network, everything works.Everything works, exept the live view. I can even make photos and videos.
2018-1-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This is a common and classic problem.  It's possible it can be fixed with a NAND flash.  Otherwise, you may have to replace the wifi module in the AC.  

Google: phantom 2 vision plus black screen

...for lots of discussion on this.

There's also a guy on eBay who offers to repair your wifi module as a service ... he was charging $89 last time I looked...

Good luck
2018-1-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Dannick, I'm afraid that the issue can not be figured out remotely. And I'd suggest to start a case and send it in for a fully diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-1-14
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

DJI might fix it. I can't say for sure because its an old drone, but talk to DJI Support and check to see if they can repair it or take a look at it. Old software!!
2018-1-18
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

If you have telementry but no live feed, it is probably your WiFI module. I replaced mine and it works perfectly.
2018-1-23
Use props
Tecnocaesar
lvl.1
Italy

https://sites.google.com/view/phantom-2-wifi-module-fix/home solved problem
2018-2-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Lately, according to posts on this site, DJI has been fixing these for free
2018-2-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I haven't flown my P2V+ since early April - about seven weeks.  I decided to give it a run since both yesterday and today have been such great days wind-wise and I've already flown 5x with the P2V and the P3P.  So I took the P2V+ out to start it up.  You can imagine my shock and horror when I realized I had the black screen of death.  Telemetery was perfect, but no FPV.  I could have flown anyway and kept it close (but what fun is that?).  The video worked, meaning the camera worked and the video file was recording.  I also had the google map which was working perfectly.  But I wasn't comfortable.  I tried various combinations of starting up but black screen was all I could get.  DAMMIT.  

So I gave up and went inside and put everything on the kitchen table.  Then I started looking at options.  I could buy a used module for around $225.  Ebay will fix it for $80.  I could flash the NAND myself which will fix it.  Looks a little hairy but it would be a great learning experience.  I start perusing some of the youtube vids.  Watched two which went into some great detail about how to flash the NAND:  disassemble AC, disconnect module, remove module, take apart module, remove correct board, acquire proper tools including flash board and foil, solder muliple connections, download correct files needed from various sources online, run the DOS command line, create directory, navigate to directory, run the flash program from DOS, yada yada yada, check, reassemble module, reinstall module, reconnect module, reassemple AC, test.  

Then I ran across this one:

Horrible like/dislike ratio.  It sounds like a 12 year old girl who stole her daddy's video camera to make a vid.  But what the hell, it'll only take a minute and I have nothing to lose.  I couldn't believe it when his/her method actually WORKED.  I am still in shock.  So simple.  And it works.  Unbelievable.  

The gist of this seems to be that you want to establish the two-way link between the AC and the range extender FIRST while keeping the mobile device turned off.  Once that is established and working as indicated with the green lamps on the range extender, then turn on your mobile device and establish the link between the mobile device and the range extender.  There will be no more black screen and the FPV will begin working again like magic.  

Edit next day:

This doesn't solve the actual problem - you still won't be able to start up the system like you used to because it is still not working correctly.  Fortunately there is a work-around.  You must start it up in a very specific sequence from this point forward.  Or R/R the module.

So moving forward:

You have a P2V or P2V+.  You have the black screen of death, meaning your telemetry works perfectly but you have no FPV.  

Here's the procedure to force the FPV to work (I have an Android):

Before you start, make sure everything if off including your mobile device.

1)  Turn on range extender only

2)  Wait 30-40 secs.

3)  Turn on controller and then turn on Phantom

4)  Wait 30 secs

5)  Boot up your mobile device.  Wait an additional 30 secs or so while the device boots up.  

6)  Sign on or swipe or whatever to get to the main screen of your mobile device.  Go to Settings and manually connect to the Phantom xxxxxxx Wifi.  Confirm that it is connected.  Then back out of the Settings.

7)  Load your flight app.  Your FPV should work.  

2018-5-28
Use props
Glider-pilot
New

New Zealand

Had this problem for some time and tried all the suggested "easy" fixes.  Today I removed the top cover and checked all the plugs for security, particularly those from the camera and on the camera mount.  So far, it seems to be working again.
2018-9-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

For the record, the method I posted in post #9 isn't working for me anymore.  

I did take the cover off and fiddle with the plugs and after that it worked the very next flight but then it stopped working again.  I am now resigned to having to flash the NAND.  
2018-9-4
Use props
okstuv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 412694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi DannickH. Looks like quite a few people have chimed in with ideas around this. I have now played with and repaired Phantom 2 Vision Plus drones for over 3 years and I wanted to share some context around the root cause of this issue. It all stems from DJI doing some ingenious and not-so-ingenious engineering for the Phantom 2 Vision Plus FPV system.

The not-so-ingenious parts first: they used some NAND chips that are a little too volatile to reliably hold the module firmware over time. They couldn't use completely static memory as they needed the ability to upgrade it to newer version, however the volatile nature of the re-writable memory chips they chose meant that they aren't perfect at storing all the bits and bytes over time. Eventually some blocks go corrupt.

Now for the ingenious part: DJI engineers new that the NAND chips they chose will corrupt over time - or at least they had a plan for mitigating this scenario. You see each time the Wi-Fi module starts up, you can see in the debugging log that minor memory corruptions are identified and data is moved to a new block. You see all data on the chips has a backup as well. The odds are pretty good that a few blocks corrupt between each boot up, but the odds that the same block corrupts in both the main store and the backup is really low.

Now fast forward to 2019. The P2VP came out in 2014, and very few people have been flying these every day since release. We now have drones that the majority have spent more time on the shelf than in the air. This means that memory corruptions have built up with no module boot-ups to repair the corrupt blocks for months or even years. At some point over these 5 years, the likelihood that the main memory and backup memory corrupts in the same spot becomes rather high and WHAM! The wifi module won't start up and your drone goes blind / gets the blank screen / black video FPV issue :-(

What about heat? Heat never helps! But it's not the root cause. It probably increases the rate of volatile memory corruption, but even a cool module, sitting on the shelf, corrupts over time - as we see from the myriad hobbyists who turn it on after shelving it for 6 months only to find FPV isn't working.

Now you have telemetry (because the top board in the wifi module still works and transmits wifi signal to the range extender), but the FPV doesn't work because the Davinci video processing chip on the lower board stops doing its job and freezes during its boot-up sequence.

What are your options:
  • Buy a working module ($100 to $200 on eBay) that is working for now, but has a non-zero chance of failing in the future
  • If you live in the USA and you've never opened or modified your drone, try your luck at DJI's P2 Care Plan - maybe after filling out the survey and jumping through all the hoops you'll get your drone fixed for FREE!
  • Get a newer drone that is less likely to go blind: Mavic Pro, P3 Standard, Phantom 4, etc. (note that some P3Pro do go blind for similar reasons to the P2VP issue)
  • Reflash the NAND yourself, using the tutorial I've put together - this requires about $30 of equipment and a steady soldering hand. Be careful not to damage the test pads on the board or repair will become impossible for you or anyone you send the board to!
  • Have someone else repair your board for you (~$80) - I am in the USA and do the repairs (contact me here), in the UK/Europ the https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSzKC4DjDV7zS7FuRm5t8JA has a tutorial on the fix and does great work, or try one of the handful of people offering the service on eBay (my handle on eBay is okstuv)

In summary, the Phantom 2 Vision Plus is a great drone that is still relevant today, 5 years after launch. It has solid battery life, a great wide-angle camera, and enough range to do some real exploring. If you've invested in the platform and have a bunch of accessories, it's worth some time or money to get FPV working again and get it back in the air.
2019-3-11
Use props
Hanky
New

Netherlands

Your solution is for the PLUS version. I have the older Phantom Vision (PV-330). It there a similar solution?
2019-6-2
Use props
Hanky
New

Netherlands

okstuv Posted at 3-11 08:52
Hi DannickH. Looks like quite a few people have chimed in with ideas around this. I have now played with and repaired Phantom 2 Vision Plus drones for over 3 years and I wanted to share some context around the root cause of this issue. It all stems from DJI doing some ingenious and not-so-ingenious engineering for the Phantom 2 Vision Plus FPV system.

The not-so-ingenious parts first: they used some NAND chips that are a little too volatile to reliably hold the module firmware over time. They couldn't use completely static memory as they needed the ability to upgrade it to newer version, however the volatile nature of the re-writable memory chips they chose meant that they aren't perfect at storing all the bits and bytes over time. Eventually some blocks go corrupt.

Your solution is for the PLUS version. I have the older Phantom Vision (PV-330). It there a similar solution?
2019-6-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Hanky Posted at 6-2 04:22

Other than the "easy" fixes which would only be temporary if they worked at all, there is no flash procedure known in the western world for the P2V egg camera wifi board.  This means the egg camera is not repairable.  Your best bet is to replace the camera with a used one that you know works correctly.  They show up on eBay sometimes.  

Here's one:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-FC2 ... :g:ZPgAAOSwOstc3Cof

I suspect it may not work correctly though.  He says it's seller refurbished and tested.  But why would he leave the camera switch in the off position?  Also, why is there no mention of the MAC address?  He doesn't appear to be a drone guy which leads me to believe the camera has not been tested other than perhaps powering it on and it likely doesn't transmit FPV.  The good news is if it doesn't work correctly you can return it at the seller's expense.  

Good luck.  
2019-6-2
Use props
djiuser_b1VSEjapJy0T
New

South Africa

My phantom 2 vision plus doesn't show video on the litchi app for Phanton 2
2022-7-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Litchi is all but dead for the P2 series.  The exception is if you have a Litchi for P2 app already installed and working prior to a couple years ago.  If it was working two years ago, it should still be working today unless you've reset your mobile device at some point.

If Litchi is still working and GPS, battery info etc works and you have black screen, you likely need to flash the NAND within the wifi module of the P2V+.  

You can also use the original P2 DJI flight app to test for a working screen - it has a better chance of working.  

Good luck

2022-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules