Purple Pink Banding/ Poor raw video, artifacts
5711 28 2018-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tbonemain
lvl.1
United States

Greetings-

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this, I think its been since the last big update that this has gotten worse, but in the raw footage (and I can see while its recording as well) there is noise on the right 1/4 of the frame.  It appeas to be digital noise like you would get from lower resoultion cameras.  There is vertital banding and noise.  I am shooting at 4k.  See the image attachement.  Its purple/pink and appears on the video as well and its always the same side of the frame, so its not affecting shoadows or highlights etc evenly across the entire image so I dont think its a processing error.  It always gets worse in post of course becasue its promently there to begin with.

Looking to see if its a software or hardware issue and if anyone has a trouble shoot.

Thank you in advance.

Inspire 2
ProRes
X5S
Ipadair2
FCPx

Error Example

Error Example
2018-1-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Tbonemain, we are sorry to know you are experiencing difficulties, could you please upload the original footage to Dropbox or Google Driver and then post the link to us for further analysis?
The current firmware of your Inspire 2 is V01.01.0030 right?
2018-1-15
Use props
Chris Davies
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15669462 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, this is exactly the same fault I have since upgrading. Here is the post I put on another thread:

I don't have the full purple screen issue but I have purple or turqouise banding showing up only in the highlights on the right side of my screen.

It moves with the highlights so it tells me it's not an issue with the sensor. I've tried everything, all different camera settings, DNG, ProRes, SSD card, SD card, Dlog, Rec709. On Jped/DNG photos in the same area I get pink spots. I've also downgraded the FW from .03 to .02 but that did not solve it.

This has happened since I updated the FW over Christmas. I've just received another I2 X5s off my supplier to try a different camera but can I try this beta firmware please to see if it solves my problem,

Here's a link to download the original footage: https://we.tl/yTKKBKRAqv

Thanks

Chris
2018-1-20
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That looks like a compression artefact Chris, but not seen it before so must therefore discount that theory as if this was the case it would affect all users.
The other possibility that comes to mind is the possibility of a contact problem - possibly between the gimbal and the aircraft, or even at the camera/lens interface.
Kind regards
Allan Arthurs
Media Techniche Ltd.
2018-1-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Chris Davies Posted at 2018-1-20 04:22
Hi, this is exactly the same fault I have since upgrading. Here is the post I put on another thread:

I don't have the full purple screen issue but I have purple or turqouise banding showing up only in the highlights on the right side of my screen.

Chris, thanks for the original footage, I will transfer it to our engineers for analysis firstly, will keep you updated soon, thanks for your patience.
2018-1-20
Use props
Tbonemain
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-15 01:46
Tbonemain, we are sorry to know you are experiencing difficulties, could you please upload the original footage to Dropbox or Google Driver and then post the link to us for further analysis?
The current firmware of your Inspire 2 is V01.01.0030 right?

Here is raw video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aci9oejy2gjp4i8/DJI_0007.MOV?dl=0
Yes my controler and aircraft are up to date on their firware.
2018-1-20
Use props
Chris Davies
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

allanart Posted at 2018-1-20 05:53
That looks like a compression artefact Chris, but not seen it before so must therefore discount that theory as if this was the case it would affect all users.
The other possibility that comes to mind is the possibility of a contact problem - possibly between the gimbal and the aircraft, or even at the camera/lens interface.
Kind regards

I agree Allan, however as it is not in a fixed location on the sensor and it only seems to affect the highlights I'm more inclined to think it's a software/firmware problem.

@DJI Mindy, any news? I'm a commercial operator and have a job to do on Wednesday.
2018-1-22
Use props
Chris Davies
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So the latest for me on this.

I reported it to DJI Support and I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

I've done further methodical tests today, trying different combinations of SD card, SSD. Format both, reset camera settings. Auto camera then manual exposure then activate the SSD in Prores, Rec 709 and then Dlog and here are the results.

When only shooting to the SD (SSD not activated) the noise is less, much less.

When the SSD is activated the purple and turquoise lines appear. They are worst in EI mode and much worse in Rec709.

AND THEN by accident I set the SSD to use DNG instead of Prores... the result? NO NOISE/PURPLE LINES. I mean, absolutely nothing! Nothing on the SD card footage and nothing in the DNG files.

I cannot understand it.

Anyone??

These two files are both the 4k EL H264 file off my SD card.
0016 - This is with the SSD recording DNG - https://www.dropbox.com/s/0d3qs06vvjzr2qq/DJI_0016.MOV?dl=0
0017 - This is with the SSD recording ProRes - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa7d8jx7swkjnwp/DJI_0017.MOV?dl=0
But these are the files on the SD card.

How is the fact that it's recording different things to the SSD affecting the SD card picture?
2018-1-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Tbonemain Posted at 2018-1-20 08:30
Here is raw video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aci9oejy2gjp4i8/DJI_0007.MOV?dl=0

Tbonemain, thanks for your update, the footage has been forwarded to our engineers for further analysis, I will keep you updated once I hear back from them, thanks for the patience.
2018-1-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Chris Davies Posted at 2018-1-24 02:09
So the latest for me on this.

I reported it to DJI Support and I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

Hi Chris, thanks for your update, I haven't got the feedback from our engineers yet, they are still working on it, I will push the progress, will keep you updated once I hear back from them, thanks for the patience.
2018-1-24
Use props
Chris Davies
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-24 06:15
Hi Chris, thanks for your update, I haven't got the feedback from our engineers yet, they are still working on it, I will push the progress, will keep you updated once I hear back from them, thanks for the patience.

It would be really helpful to get some advice soon. We are a company and our drone now can't record video because we did the firmware update
2018-1-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Chris Davies Posted at 2018-1-25 05:01
It would be really helpful to get some advice soon. We are a company and our drone now can't record video because we did the firmware update

Hi, Chris, I'm sorry for the late response since I was off duty yesterday. It seems the footage in https://eastwoodmedia.wetransfer ... 180116201452/d098da cannot be downloaded any more since there is a server error. Could you please upload to Dropbox again?
The footage you provided in 8# are all from SD card and they seems normal, I didn't see any purple lines. May I have the footage in SSD card? Thank you.
2018-1-25
Use props
Chris Davies
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m currently away until Thursday. I will upload everything I have then. The banding exists in every setting unless I record DNG on the SSD. What are the engineers saying, I reported this over a week ago to DJI support and still no one has been in touch. I was promised twice that an engineer would make contact in 48hrs.
Here is the link to download the ssd footage:
https://we.tl/yTKKBKRAqv
2018-1-30
Use props
Chris Davies
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chris Davies Posted at 2018-1-30 10:09
I’m currently away until Thursday. I will upload everything I have then. The banding exists in every setting unless I record DNG on the SSD. What are the engineers saying, I reported this over a week ago to DJI support and still no one has been in touch. I was promised twice that an engineer would make contact in 48hrs.
Here is the link to download the ssd footage:
https://we.tl/yTKKBKRAqv

So here at this link you will find all of my test footage. I'll detail all of the settings below. I would appreciate an engineer making contact now as I am spending too much time trying to work out the fault. This fault was caused by the latest firmware upgrade.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q2d85 ... fvotJKlGriEX6a?dl=0

DJI Inspire 2 X5s, prores and dng license running latest firmware (already downgraded and reinstalled)
Format SD card and SSD.
Reset camera Settings
File index set to continuous
SSD OFF

Auto Camera settings, Auto WB, NTSC, H264
File - 002. - The purple banding is not too bad

SWITCH ON SSD
File - 003 - Obvious noise/vertical banding in the highlights on the right of the screen

SWITCH SSD OFF
Set camera exposure to manual
File - 004 - A little noise in the highlights is visible on the right side of the screen

SWITCH SSD ON
File 005 - Lots of noise/vertical banding in the highlights on the right side of the screen

ACTIVATE EI MODE
Rec709
Custom WB
File 006 - Banding is visible even on the ipad now. On the file there is really bad turquoise banding on the right side of the picture

Change picture style to Dlog
File 007 - Banding is visible even on the ipad now. On the file there is really bad turquoise banding on the right side of the picture

EI mode at 400
Dlog
File 008 - Pink and turquoise lines in the highlights on the right of the picture

EI mode at 400
Rec709
File 009 - Pink and turquoise lines in the highlights on the right of the picture and really bad contrast

SWITCH SSD OFF
Everything set back to normal
Manual WB
Manual exposure
File 010 - A few noise spots on the right of the picture

CHANGE from 4k to 1080
File 011 - A few noise spots in the picture on the top right

Change to H264
File 012 - A few noisy lines on the right of the picture

Change to PAL
File 013 - A little bit of noise still in the picture

SWITCH SSD BACK ON
Set SSD to record in DNG
File 014 - No noise or banding in this picture. ** NOTE, THIS PICTURE IS OK **

Change SSD to record in Prores
File 015 - Pink and Turquoise lines are back on the right side of the screen.

Now, there is something here to do with Prores/DBG because when the SSD is recording DNG, there is no problem. But if the SSD is OFF or set to record ProRes then there is a fault.

Now I connect the DJI Assistant and reinstall the Prores/DNG license.

Reset camera
Manual exposure and WB
SSD and SD recording
EI at 400
DNG
File 016 - No noise or purple banding in the highlights. ** This file is ok**

CHANGE SSD TO RECORD IN PRORES
File 017 - The fault has returned.

So to conclude. The fault (Purple/Turquoise lines in the highlights on the right of the picture) occurs since I upgraded to the latest firmware. The fault does not occur if the SSD is recording and is set to DNG.

Now, as I have said before, we are a professional company and use this drone for our work. We have not been able to use it for 10 days now and it already damaged one weeks filming. Thankfully it is winter so we are not so busy but that is changing soon.

Please can an Engineer make contact with me today to tell me how you are going to fix this, or instruct me to return it to the vendor to get a replacement.

All of the files can be downloaded from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q2d85 ... fvotJKlGriEX6a?dl=0
2018-1-31
Use props
CiRec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200791 ft
Germany

well i know that is not a solution, please dont get me wrong, dji must fix this, and they will. but it could take its time.

so my advice for you would be: record CDNG.

another thought is: even if its a different issue than the purple frame issue, it looks similar, and even the circumstances are. so maybe you could contact DJI MINDY to try the new beta they coded to resolve the purple frame issue?
2018-2-1
Use props
Chris Davies
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CiRec Posted at 2018-2-1 02:48
well i know that is not a solution, please dont get me wrong, dji must fix this, and they will. but it could take its time.

so my advice for you would be: record CDNG.

Just an update for anyone reading this.

I never got a reply back from an engineer and despite two online chats with support, these were not followed up either.

I launched a service enquiry myself and was told to make sure that I had removed all packaging from around the camera since that might cause the jello.......

I politely told them I didn't think the fault was jello.

Now they've told me to return the unit. I'll keep you updated

cc. @DJIMindy
2018-2-5
Use props
Tbonemain
lvl.1
United States

I tried the solution of shooting with the SSD in DNG and that seems to be a work around to get rid of the issue but of course you then need to convert the dng sequence to footage. This is definitely a firmware issue. Please fix DJI.
2018-2-6
Use props
Chris Davies
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tbonemain Posted at 2018-2-6 12:58
I tried the solution of shooting with the SSD in DNG and that seems to be a work around to get rid of the issue but of course you then need to convert the dng sequence to footage. This is definitely a firmware issue. Please fix DJI.

Yes, it's certainly not an option for us, we run out of storage too quickly.

I finally submitted my own service request after I heard nothing back from the two service requests that were supposed to have been submitted from the online chats I started.

They initially told me to ensure I had removed all the packaging from around the gimbal - I pointed out that they might not have read into my problem correctly!

It's now been sent off to the DJI Hospital in the Netherlands, hopefully for a quick diagnosis.
2018-2-10
Use props
Tbonemain
lvl.1
United States

We have several of these uses by other pilots in the company and they are not all having this issue. One of them suggested that it could be a series of them, certain set of serial numbers, since it's not affecting everyone else on the planet which could also be the cause for a delayed fix- small number affected = not worth the energy to rush out a fix. I have to say it's quite disappointing service.
2018-2-10
Use props
fans0b301905
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74436 ft
  • >>>
Ecuador

I have the same problem, since I install the new update every time I record in the prores format a purple coloration appears randomly as it is on the screen, what can I do ?, this is annoying, every 2 seconds or 3 seconds that coloration appears continuously.

please, help me
2018-2-14
Use props
fansc7daae02
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212392 ft
Argentina

Chris Davies Posted at 2018-1-31 23:45
So here at this link you will find all of my test footage. I'll detail all of the settings below. I would appreciate an engineer making contact now as I am spending too much time trying to work out the fault. This fault was caused by the latest firmware upgrade.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q2d85hp8x8hen6t/AABhZ00TFCSfvotJKlGriEX6a?dl=0

Hi Tbinemain, I have the same problem with the Inspire 2 and X5S. Updated to firmware V01.02.0100. Purple pink banding appears in all SD and ProRes recording options. Did you have an answer from DJI? Thank's!
2018-5-20
Use props
SwarmAerials
lvl.1
Ireland

Has there been an outcome to this problem. I have just had this problem happen to me and the scenes before and after these clips are fine.

Thanks
2018-6-19
Use props
AV1PRO
lvl.1
  • >>>

I'm having banding in highlights. Look at the top part of the image in the sky. This was shot in PAL at 50fps. I tried it with NTSC and it seems ok with 24fps but once I switch to higher frame rate I can see it again. Is this a sensor issue or firmware?
Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 4.19.41 PM.png
2018-7-30
Use props
AV1PRO
lvl.1
  • >>>

Here is a dropbox link for the raw footage.https://www.dropbox.com/s/fd1hqe3ldl7wxga/DJI_0005.MOV?dl=0
2018-7-30
Use props
gbp6461
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263615 ft

AV1PRO Posted at 2018-7-30 13:48
I'm having banding in highlights. Look at the top part of the image in the sky. This was shot in PAL at 50fps. I tried it with NTSC and it seems ok with 24fps but once I switch to higher frame rate I can see it again. Is this a sensor issue or firmware?

Exactly what I  have been getting after updating the latest i2 firmware with an X7 Camera
2018-8-6
Use props
AV1PRO
lvl.1
  • >>>

gbp6461 Posted at 2018-8-6 13:55
Exactly what I  have been getting after updating the latest i2 firmware with an X7 Camera[view_image]

I learned on a Facebook inspire 2 users group that the new firmware should fix the issue. In the meantime someone suggested resetting the camera through the app prior to each shoot.
2018-8-16
Use props
gbp6461
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263615 ft

AV1PRO Posted at 2018-8-16 14:26
I learned on a Facebook inspire 2 users group that the new firmware should fix the issue. In the meantime someone suggested resetting the camera through the app prior to each shoot.

This has only started occurring since the latest firmware upgrade to V01.02.0200, there is another thread that discusses this issue

https://forum.dji.com/thread-160567-1-1.html
2018-8-19
Use props
AV1PRO
lvl.1
  • >>>

gbp6461 Posted at 2018-8-19 04:44
This has only started occurring since the latest firmware upgrade to V01.02.0200, there is another thread that discusses this issue

https://forum.dji.com/thread-160567-1-1.html

Awesome, thanks!
2018-8-27
Use props
Pablo Cozzaglio
lvl.1
Ecuador

Hello everybody, I have the same purple artifacts/banding issue, did any of you guys got it solved? Thanks!!
2018-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules