My Spark experience w/ Android vs iOS so far.
4961 11 2018-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scott V.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 241791 ft
United States

I thought I would share what I have seen by using both versions of DJI Go 4. (iOS and Andoid 4.1.22) The plan was to do 25 flights on iOS then 25 flights on Android. I have completed 45 flights and there is a noticable difference with regards to the app.

Spark is running up to date firmware. Using wifi only. No OTG cable.

The devices:
LG G6 with Nougat 7.0
2017 iPad with 11.2.1

25 flights with iOS. Flawless. Very happy.
20 flights with Android and the app has crashed EVERY single flight. And it doesn't constantly crash... just a single app crash then its good for the rest of the flight. I am able to reopen the app and it connects to the Spark immeadiately, but it is a bit of an uneasy feeling not being connected.

In the end, if I have the iPad with me I use it. If not I don't hesitate to use my phone, but I definitely woldn't be pushing my range or ops as much when using it knowing that a crash is coming sometime during the flight... Just my .02

2018-1-14
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

Does the crash happen to all android versions? Making some space could eliminate this problem since it sounds like it cannot process it.
2018-1-14
Use props
Scott V.
lvl.3
United States

Airplane mode. On a fairly “clean” phone.  No big deal. But I definitely prefer the iPad... screen size is a big plus too...
2018-1-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What range were you getting with each?
2018-1-14
Use props
Scott V.
lvl.3
United States

1300-1400m no problem with either platform. Earlier this week took a trip to a remote area and was able to get 2000m using 2.4ghz (I was using iOS)
2018-1-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Scott V. Posted at 2018-1-14 11:35
1300-1400m no problem with either platform. Earlier this week took a trip to a remote area and was able to get 2000m using 2.4ghz (I was using iOS)

Hi, guys. We would recommend users use the recommended devices. Or users can try to clean up the files of the phone and reinstall the app. Please sync all the flight records and save all the files before reinstalling. If you use IOS and the appp crashes, please update to the latest version of system. Thanks for your support.
app spark.JPG
2018-1-16
Use props
Scott V.
lvl.3
United States

Update:
So honestly, after an additional 15 flights My experience with Android has been completely different.

I had 2 really crappy flights with the ipad (heavy signal interference even on 5.8 that day for some reason) so I started using my Android phone again just for the heck of it. 13 consecutive flights on Android and not a single app crash. After 2 or 3 flights without the app crapping itself I was surprised. Every flight I was waiting for it, but it never happened. Strong connectivity and was getting out to around a 1000m even though this was not a remote area...

I guess I now feel equally at ease using either platform now.

2018-1-21
Use props
Shade220
lvl.3
Canada

What changed that the Go 4 Android app is now not crashing?  
2018-1-21
Use props
Scott V.
lvl.3
United States

I haven't updated anything and not doing anything differently. It's the damndest thing... But I'll take it.
2018-1-21
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Scott V. Posted at 2018-1-21 08:39
I haven't updated anything and not doing anything differently. It's the damndest thing... But I'll take it.

I'll take that too but it it does seems that IOS have a better cohesion with DJI firmware. keyword SEEMS.
2018-1-21
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Scott V. Posted at 2018-1-21 06:37
Update:
So honestly, after an additional 15 flights My experience with Android has been completely different.

Your inputs and info is really interesting with regards both platforms,, just for info I am using either Samsung S6 and alternatively iPad Air 2 and have good results from both.. sometimes with OTG and sometime not. Still not able to draw a conclusion which is the better option!!.
2018-1-21
Use props
sanford12
New

United States

Use the cable with android it works really well. I'm using a LG V40 and so far flawless.
2019-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules