6452 12 2018-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans532b8eba
lvl.1
Flight distance : 232244 ft
United States

Hey gang,

With the latest firmware I’m not experiencing gimbal motor overload. The gimbal moves all over the place when flying.

Here is what I’ve tried:

1. Tried to calibrate the gimbal, but the gimbal does not move during calibration at all.

2. Tried to calibrate the IMU but it locks up at the end and I have to force quit the app.

3. Never crashed or even landed hard.

4. There is nothing blocking the gimbal’s movement.

Help!  What should I do?

Rob
2018-1-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. Do you mean that you ARE experiencing gimbal overload? If so, it's possible that part of the gimbal mechanism has dislodged in transport - the same thing which may cause the camera to default to an off-angle position on its X axis. A stretch, but you could try this:

With the P4P powered OFF, try to gently turn the camera on its X axis (left - right) to each extremity a few times.
Then power everything on, move it back on it's hind prop arms (so the camera if pointing up 45 degrees), and go a gimbal calibration using GO 4.

Re the IMU calibration, you tend to only need to do that if the app asks you too. Others do it after a firmware update also.
2018-1-14
Use props
fans532b8eba
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for responding. I tried moving the gimbal and nothing seems to be out of place. It moves freely side to side and up and down.

When I try to calibrate the gimbal, it doesn’t move, yet it goes from 5-100% like it thinks it is being calibrated.
The gimbal status menu item just says normal for 2 seconds, then overload for 2 seconds.

Any ideas?
2018-1-14
Use props
fans532b8eba
lvl.1
United States

And yes, the original post shouldn’t say, “I’m not...”. Oops
2018-1-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans532b8eba Posted at 2018-1-14 16:30
Thanks for responding. I tried moving the gimbal and nothing seems to be out of place. It moves freely side to side and up and down.

When I try to calibrate the gimbal, it doesn’t move, yet it goes from 5-100% like it thinks it is being calibrated.

Oops - doesn't sound good. Apart from refreshing the craft firmware (just in case the gimbal controller module hasn't installed properly) - and I do it twice with a factory default reset in-between - the only other suggestion is to draw a pentacle around it and sacrifice a chicken.

If that doesn't work (either suggestion, hehe), I'm out of ideas. Please keep us posted on your adventures though.
2018-1-14
Use props
duke123
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78930 ft
United States

Having same problem with my Mavic, gimble goes crazy tells me motor over load feels hot to touch nothing I have done makes a different, guess ill be calling DJI in the morning, so excited.
2018-1-14
Use props
fans532b8eba
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.   (Especially the chicken sacrifice) Looks like I’ll have to contact DJI tomorrow.  I’m dreading it as I’ve heard their support is awful.  Do you think this is something the warranty would cover?  

Rob
2018-1-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans532b8eba Posted at 2018-1-14 18:42
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.   (Especially the chicken sacrifice) Looks like I’ll have to contact DJI tomorrow.  I’m dreading it as I’ve heard their support is awful.  Do you think this is something the warranty would cover?  

Rob

I can understand your concern, Rob. And if they find a fault and it's covered under warranty, be aware that they'll typically swap it out with a different refurbed unit. Not that that should be an issue, just something to be prepared for.

So I'd be sure you've done what you can. Oh, and I assume the firmware on the P4P now is v01.05.300? And to confirm, when you were on firmware v01.04.602 everything worked OK?
2018-1-14
Use props
Foxglove84
lvl.2
United States

Were you able to resolve your issue?  I had the same problem with my mavic pro at around the same time as you after a firmware update even though mine had no history of crashes or problems but for when I updated the drone.  I was advised by DJI to send it in for diagnostic and repair but after receipt and a call DJI conceded no diagnostics but they default to replace the whole gimbal solution no matter if it was your fault or the firmware's fault--and of course at your cost.  In hindsight, I should have troubleshot it by rolling back to an earlier firmware or waited for a new firmware.

I am currently waiting for a call from a supervisor from DJI repair.
2018-1-30
Use props
fans532b8eba
lvl.1
United States

Had to send to DJI.  I live in NY, so it took over a week to get there...they fixed it for free...now it's on its one week trip back.  

Best of luck!

Rob
2018-1-30
Use props
duke123
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78930 ft
United States

fans532b8eba Posted at 2018-1-30 12:06
Had to send to DJI.  I live in NY, so it took over a week to get there...they fixed it for free...now it's on its one week trip back.  

Best of luck!

Sent mine back to DJI, hey also fix it under warranty at no charge, just got it back Monday but its been to windy to fly, glad you got yours back.
2018-1-30
Use props
fans7024f3e3
New
Flight distance : 298028 ft

I'm having this same issue with my Phantom 4. I take it nobody has found a way to fix it without sending it to DJI? My Phantom 4 is 2+ years old so definitely out of warranty
2018-9-17
Use props
Chuck Bengele
lvl.1
United States

I just received my new P4P V2 yesterday afternoon.  It has been a slow setup process.  I could not get the controller to show up on by tablet that I had been using 2017 on my P4P.  Additionally, the controller would not see/start the drone props.  I used the DJI Assistant 2 interface to update each device desperately.  Still no luck.  I then used the Assistant 2 to do the combo update where the controller was connected to the PC, controller powered on and the drone powered on.  At last I got parts to talk to each other.  I was surprised to see that I could still not get the props to start, but got a message about registering the drone before the first flight or register before it would start.  Once I signed off I could start the props.  However, now I get the Gimbal Motor Overload.  The Gimbal Guard had been removed before starting the updates for the drone and is still off now.  The Gimbal Motor Overload warning keep flashing between Overload and normal.

I will give DJI a call today and see what I can find out.  I have not even had the unit for 12 hours and I am not allowed to fly in the dark,

While I have been sitting here writing this post the Overload Warning seem to not be flashing as fast as it once did.  As I still have my old P4P here I check checked to see how fluid the gimbal was/is.  Day and night difference.  The new gimbal has some slight resistance when moving it side to side with the drone powered off.  Other than the error being reported the gimbal responds to the controller to move up or down and even the C1 button I use to hard point down or hard point level.
I would also like to note that the DJI Assistant 2 worked the most fluidly with this P4P V2 than it ever did with my previous P4P.  I was also surprised that I could plug in the controller to the PC, turn on the controller, turn on the drone and both would get updated at the same time.  If it were not for the gimbal my life would be good!

Regards, Chuck
2020-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules