Timelapse Photo Mode. Lets learn together.
3568 19 2015-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I did not even realize there was a timelapse mode under the photosettings. Just found out about it and had to run out and test it out.
Unfortunately 5 sec is the shortest duration between shots. Seems like 2-3 seconds would be a sweeter spot for the inspire given it will only stay in the air for 18 min... I ran a night lapse at ISO 100 with a shutter time of 2.5 seconds with 5 second intervals. did not have the filter on or I would have exposed for longer...

Got back to process and unfortunately there is slight movement from the bird. I am trying to stack the images and align them in photoshop but the results are less than desired...

Has anyone had a chance to work with this setting sucessfully yet? Any tips for a better alignment software than PS?
2015-4-22
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Would be better if you could get still images every 5seconds whilst video recording, like the GoPro
2015-4-23
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-23 20:16
Would be better if you could get still images every 5seconds whilst video recording, like the GoPro

I don't know why that is necessary. Perhaps you can fill me in. I am not talking about just taking random photos while I fly around filming. I am talking about time lapse. And my open question was if anyone knows a software for stacking images and auto aligning them that may work better than photoshop. I know there are some pano guys in the group so I am hoping they can tell me if some of their software is better at stacking. I am not interested in discussing what other cameras work better. I want to learn how to leverage this camera and get great content. I know this is a piss and moan forum but I am hoping maybe someone else out there wants to be constructive...
2015-4-23
Use props
christensonphot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 392129 ft

United States

Probably easiest would be to make your timelapse into a video and then import to after affects and apply Warp stabilizer effect. Bo guarentee but it is commonly used by hyperlapse photogs.

-Dave
2015-4-23
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

christensonphot Posted at 2015-4-24 00:02
Probably easiest would be to make your timelapse into a video and then import to after affects and a ...

Hi Dave,
I tried the video time-lapse method but even with warp stabilizer the image moves around quite a bit. Also a video timelapse will not allow me to shoot with 2-3 second exposures... See test video below:

Edit: Dave I misread your comment. I will try it in warp stabilizer with the phototime-lapse... Thanks.
2015-4-23
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I dont understand why you would need a video time lapse or I may be missing something.  

The aircraft will only have a limited flight time so not really suitable for time lapse.  If you ant short bursts just record full 4K video or 1080 for duration of flight that select what sections in post edit you want.

I mentioned the still images as that is something I would like to see so it will record a still image every 5 seconds in addition to the video automatically as a setting via the App, like the GoPro offers.  You then don't have to worry about pulling stills from the video afterwards.

In regard ti Night time lapse, if you are in the UK, you will not be allowed to fly your aircraft at night without express permission from the CAA and it will have to be a good commercial reason to do so and doubt that you would be allowed on a recreational level.

2015-4-24
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-4-24 00:38
Hi Dave,
I tried the video time-lapse method but even with warp stabilizer the image moves around  ...

Was it an overcast night or was the lens a bit dirty?  seems to be a bit of glow around all the lights.
2015-4-24
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-4-25 00:07
Was it an overcast night or was the lens a bit dirty?  seems to be a bit of glow around all the li ...

there was a low cloud and mist.... I think I saw a drop hit the lens right when I took off... it was just a test so I was not concerned... I did download After Effects and ran the video through it with Warp Stabilizer. WOW I was basing my conclusions on stabilization from my experience with FCPX... Adobe got it right with warp stabilizer. I will post that edit soon.
2015-4-24
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-24 23:53
I dont understand why you would need a video time lapse or I may be missing something.  

The aircra ...

It is not something I would use for most paid projects but my personal shooting involves a lot of night-Lapse city scape and star-trail video... I have a project in mind that would greatly benefit from some high angle city time-lapse... I don't need long shots but I would love to get at least a 5-6 second clip from the time-lapse... as it is I can only get about 3 second clips with 5 sec intervals and 18 min flight... If they were to add 2 second intervals then it would be possible for me to capture enough frames for a 6 second clip. Now the issue I have is finding a perfectly still night so I can get a stable flight. I found that using after effects warp stabilizer I can get a relatively stable clip...
2015-4-24
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-4-25 00:42
there was a low cloud and mist.... I think I saw a drop hit the lens right when I took off... it w ...

Look forward to seeing the results, thanks for sharing.
2015-4-24
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

What?  I don't have anything on my app. Did I miss something??  Please send me screenshots where do I find it.. I have an iOS device
2015-4-24
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Skywolf007 Posted at 2015-4-25 01:09
What?  I don't have anything on my app. Did I miss something??  Please send me screenshots where do  ...

Put the camera in photo mode. Then hold the shutter button on the app. a new window will open that allows you to choose bracketed shots. in that window there is an icon that looks like a "self Timer" at least that is what I thought it was when I saw it... click it and you can choose your intervals... it seems like this was added without any thought... there is no way you can use anything other than 5 seconds unless you are on the ground... even then I doubt the battery would last long enough to successfully use longer intervals... but why would you use the inspire camera on the ground anyway...
2015-4-24
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-4-25 00:58
Look forward to seeing the results, thanks for sharing.

Here is the revised edit. I just added to the previous edit... Just did very basic quick color correction in lightroom...did not want to spend much time on a test clip... I am somewhat satisfied with the stabilization... Seems there are more options for controlling the warp stabilizer but I need to spend some time familiarizing myself with the software... Certainly open to any input from experienced after effects users.

2015-4-24
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-4-25 01:17
Put the camera in photo mode. Then hold the shutter button on the app. a new window will open that ...

Nice work!
2015-4-24
Use props
christensonphot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 392129 ft

United States

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-4-25 02:00
Here is the revised edit. I just added to the previous edit... Just did very basic quick color cor ...

I wonder if you could get more out of the blacks in lightroom if you are working with DNG files. Are these processed raw files in this video or JPEG's?
2015-4-27
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

christensonphot Posted at 2015-4-28 05:45
I wonder if you could get more out of the blacks in lightroom if you are working with DNG files. A ...

These were just test shots... I did not spend any time on the comp or exposure... They are JPEG. I don't know if DNG  would work because it takes so long for the inspire to process each image... I'll have to test that next time... I just wanted to see how stable it was in the air for that period of time... With warp stabilizer in after effects it looks decent...
2015-4-27
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Just a thought;  since you're looking for such a short clip, I would try shooting video at lowest frame rate and speed up the playback in post to get the blur.
I use Premier
2015-4-27
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

skyvideoct Posted at 2015-4-28 06:58
Just a thought;  since you're looking for such a short clip, I would try shooting video at lowest fr ...

Unfortunately with video you can only shoot at 1/30th shutter speed. To get the effect I am after I need to open the shutter for at least 2 seconds.
2015-4-27
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

This is awesome.  
2015-4-27
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just to clarify for some folks on the forum... Frame rate and shutter speed are not the same thing. I keep seeing people using these terms wrong... Frame rate is how many frames you can shoot per second in video. Shutter speed determines how long the shutter will stay open for each frame. video consists of multiple frames (images)... With the inspire you can choose to capture 24,30,or 60 frames per second in ntsc mode... Shutter speed tells the camera how much light to let in for each frame... Hope this helps...
2015-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules