Almost lost my Mavic pro twice in the past 2 days
1766 23 2018-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flybirdpro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1488635 ft
Australia

Updated to the latest firmware (Jan 2018).

Went to a park yesterday and tried to record a hiking path in the bush, the camera looks like not "centered", so I can't control the drone to fly in the centre of the path.

Suddenly it went to a tree, I hold it still, but the bottom sensor detected the leafs so it started to raise, then it hit the up leafs again and fall down, but Mavic pro is so amazing that it got stabilized in the middle, but the same story happened again, then it hit the leafs again and again, then fall to the ground, luckily, it got stabilized again at the last second, then I run to it and rescue it from the disaster. It really frightened me when it almost crash on the ground. One pair of the propellers were broken.

Not sure can mavic do this in old version - get stabilized when it fall to the ground.

Today it was very windy, I fly Mavic to the middle of a river, as the wind was so strong that it stuck in the middle of the river and can't fly back. I was so worried and checked the battery again and again, finally I switched to "sport mode", then it slowly fly back. I was lucky that the battery still have more than 50% when this happened, otherwise there will be a big chance it fall into the river, or I will have to land it to the other side of the river.

Really happy my mavic survived.

Lessons learned:

1.       Walk with the Mavic when fly in the bush

2.       Stay low and close in windy weather
2018-1-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

If you upload the flight log (TXT file from your mobile device) to PhantomHelp using these instructions then someone may be able to provide insight into what happened. Otherwise all you're going to get is speculation.
2018-1-15
Use props
flybirdpro
lvl.2
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2018-1-15 03:14
If you upload the flight log (TXT file from your mobile device) to PhantomHelp using these instructions then someone may be able to provide insight into what happened. Otherwise all you're going to get is speculation.

It is within visual line-of-sight, so it should be the reason.
2018-1-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

flybirdpro Posted at 2018-1-15 03:30
It is within visual line-of-sight, so it should be the reason.

I don't understand what that means in the context of this conversation, but I'm guessing you won't be uploading the flight log.
2018-1-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If flying in any area which has obstructions above the drone you should set failsafe to hover and not RTH in the app and keep the drone very close. Also look at your obstacle avoidance settings and disengage the fly up/around option to just hover. If you knew all the options available to you as part of your flight plan these issues wouldn’t have occurred.
Also, it is not advisable to fly in winds that are so strong you can only navigate/fly the drone in Sport mode. If winds exceed 24MPH then simply don’t fly or you’ll massively increase the risk of losing the drone, especially over water. I’ve seen dozens of drone losses on here in the past few weeks caused entirely by pilot error in not making allowances for fast wind speeds.
2018-1-15
Use props
flybirdpro
lvl.2
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-1-15 04:11
If flying in any area which has obstructions above the drone you should set failsafe to hover and not RTH in the app and keep the drone very close. Also look at your obstacle avoidance settings and disengage the fly up/around option to just hover. If you knew all the options available to you as part of your flight plan these issues wouldn’t have occurred.
Also, it is not advisable to fly in winds that are so strong you can only navigate/fly the drone in Sport mode. If winds exceed 24MPH then simply don’t fly or you’ll massively increase the risk of losing the drone, especially over water. I’ve seen dozens of drone losses on here in the past few weeks caused entirely by pilot error in not making allowances for fast wind speeds.

Thanks, that's true.
Need to be prepared for all scenarios by learning all the features of the drone.
2018-1-15
Use props
flybirdpro
lvl.2
Australia

MavicCrash
2018-1-15
Use props
fans32c23e34
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26742 ft
United States

Has anyone received
“ no prop warning “
I get Tis on my controller as well as iPad.  All the props are working fine. Any suggestions?
2018-1-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never received a ‘no prop warning’ as always fly with my props on.
2018-1-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Never received that message. Try to screen shot it the next time you get it.
2018-1-15
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

Close calls with my Mavic are some of the most exciting moments of my life!
2018-1-15
Use props
flybirdpro
lvl.2
Australia

2018-1-15
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

sigkill Posted at 2018-1-15 07:24
Close calls with my Mavic are some of the most exciting moments of my life!

i agree
2018-1-15
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

Wow, strange to me they would both be broke at the same place on the trailing edge of the CCW props. Did both these get it at the same time? Did the CW props get it too?
2018-1-15
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Some TIPS; if you are in windy switch to sport mode immediately - if you push RTH in wind then the drone will not be able to fight a strong wind, you must fly it home in sport mode. - if you are flying in strong wind be sure to stay up wind so that RTH is down wind. - Do not fly so close to trees especially high up because you cannot accurately judge 3D perspective and distances from the ground and if something goes wrong cause you hit a branch then you will be very lucky to survive without damages -
2018-1-15
Use props
flybirdpro
lvl.2
Australia

HyLenz Posted at 2018-1-15 13:48
Wow, strange to me they would both be broke at the same place on the trailing edge of the CCW props. Did both these get it at the same time? Did the CW props get it too?

No, only the CCWs are broken. Both the CWs are good.
I have no idea why it was broken at the backside - maybe it is weak on that side? It should hit the branches with the frond edge which is stronger.
2018-1-15
Use props
flybirdpro
lvl.2
Australia

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-15 13:54
Some TIPS; if you are in windy switch to sport mode immediately - if you push RTH in wind then the drone will not be able to fight a strong wind, you must fly it home in sport mode. - if you are flying in strong wind be sure to stay up wind so that RTH is down wind. - Do not fly so close to trees especially high up because you cannot accurately judge 3D perspective and distances from the ground and if something goes wrong cause you hit a branch then you will be very lucky to survive without damages -

Thanks for the TIPs.
2018-1-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, did the drone damage by the crash? If yes, please kindly send it back for an overall check, and if you have any questions about the crash, we can also provide a data analysis when we receive the drone. Please contact our support for a further help. Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support.
And for the flight environment, we don't suggest flying when there is a strong wind for the concern of flight safety. Thank you. 御飞行环境.png
2018-1-17
Use props
flybirdpro
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-17 01:58
Hi there, did the drone damage by the crash? If yes, please kindly send it back for an overall check, and if you have any questions about the crash, we can also provide a data analysis when we receive the drone. Please contact our support for a further help. Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support.
And for the flight environment, we don't suggest flying when there is a strong wind for the concern of flight safety. Thank you.[view_image]

Thanks, the drone is ok, I changed with new propellers, all good.
Will avoid to fly in bad weathers.
2018-1-17
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

fans32c23e34 Posted at 2018-1-15 05:37
Has anyone received
“ no prop warning “
I get Tis on my controller as well as iPad.  All the props are working fine. Any suggestions?

That message is typically triggered by a motor overspeed condition. Could be that the winds were so strong that the Mavic couldn't acquire lift.  Damaged props can also cause the message. If the conditions lasts long enough you may also see an ESC Overcurrent message.
2018-1-17
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

HyLenz Posted at 2018-1-15 13:48
Wow, strange to me they would both be broke at the same place on the trailing edge of the CCW props. Did both these get it at the same time? Did the CW props get it too?

Well, the trailing edge is the weakest point.  Over-flexing the props (in high wind gusts, for example) might possible cause cracking, but these props look like they struck something ...while rotating backwards :-)
Are you sure they weren't damaged in storage or transit?
2018-1-17
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is where the flight sim is good practice, wind speed and direction can be adjusted, and practice flying back against various wind speeds and in the different flight modes. You can set up a good comparison between RTH mode and sports mode trying to fight against a 30 mph wind :-)
2018-1-17
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

how windy was it? if it was moving slow in sport mode you must been in a hurricane!
2018-1-17
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like new props are the order of the day.
2018-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules