Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Found a Drone
12Next >
10616 52 2018-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eliot
lvl.1

United States

We found one of these yesterday on an island in the South Pacific that is also a state.  Posted a message on Craigslist, got no response.  If any of you are missing one and can provide some details regarding the location it was lost, color etc., we would love to return it to you, no reward necessary.  PM me.
Thx, Eliot.

2018-1-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow - people like you do exist! It isn't mine but I'm sure the owner will be very grateful for your being such a top bloke in doing this!
2018-1-15
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

Great gesture.  Should keep bumping this until owner finds this post hopefully
2018-1-15
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

If no owner found, I'll buy it for $20 sight unseen

Good luck with locating the original owner.  Would it be possible for DJI to locate the owner via serial number etc?
2018-1-15
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool, an honest person! It's sad that you don't see that many these days. You might want to cross post on the other forums to get more visibility.
2018-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

“The fate of the world depends on the triumph of the good people!”
2018-1-15
Use props
Spark Kam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 417 ft
United States

Much respect for you Eliot DJI could easily find the owner from the serial number. If DJI replaced the drone under warranty, they could give you a shipping label back to the lab and find out what went wrong.
2018-1-15
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

With all the reports of flyaways I keep thinking that I will start finding sparks all over the place :-)    I think these things are selling like crazy.  In my last two flights I have had people tell me 'oh, I got one of those for Christmas'   so there must be tens of thousands of them out there.   I would bet that only a very small percentage of owners are on this or any other forum though..   I do hope the OP finds the owner.
2018-1-15
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I wish I could upvote you Eliot, your post is definitely worthy of it.

I had assumed that the drone is a DJI, however regardless if it is or not, I hope that the rightful owner is reunited with their device soon.
2018-1-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I wish to express my sincere gratitude to you eliot for this great and noble approach! If you can identify this drone as a DJI one I would also suggest you contact them directly with the serial number. They certainly can help you identifying the owner. Thank you again!
@LouisP: Long time ago when our airforce was using the Starfighter plane, there was a kind of sad joke going round: "How can you quickly get a Starfighter on your own? Just buy a piece of land and wait." Very furtunately the situation with Spark is far better I am convinced.
2018-1-15
Use props
Kevin79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

Maybe this is the owner???!  https://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/laf/d/lost-drone-toy/6440083725.html
2018-1-15
Use props
Kevin79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

Kevin79 Posted at 2018-1-15 14:48
Maybe this is the owner???!  https://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/laf/d/lost-drone-toy/6440083725.html

Update:

I'm 99% positive this is the drone's owner as I found a corresponding ad on Hawaii's Craiglist of someone else who found a drone (suspected OP here) in the same area. I'm contacting both individuals on craigslist.
2018-1-15
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it was my drone, all someone would have to do is look at the SD card.  Inside my SD card I have a text file with my name, phone number, and FAA number not to mention a statement about a reward for its return.  Everyone should at least do that if not putting their phone number at a minimum on their drone
2018-1-15
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Btw. In Canada it is mandatory. If you fly a drone with no contact info on it,
2018-1-15
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Btw. In Canada it is mandatory. If you fly a drone with no contact info on it (your name, address and phone number) and your drone is over 250g, you are breaking Transport Canada rules. As per above posts, it is good practice too.
2018-1-15
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

How cool is this?!!!!
Kudos to the finder!!!

Here is my solution. FAA# and phone # in battery compartment of all of my drones.
zze.jpg
2018-1-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Eliot, you are really nice! Hope the owner can find you. If anything I can help, please inform us.
2018-1-15
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Vulcan-XH558 Posted at 2018-1-15 13:34
If no owner found, I'll buy it for $20 sight unseen

Good luck with locating the original owner.  Would it be possible for DJI to locate the owner via serial number etc?

In case part of it, with the serialnumber on, would be found somewhere in a heli engine, yes ;-)
2018-1-15
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Kevin79 Posted at 2018-1-15 14:48

South pacific?
2018-1-15
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Try to upload the flight logs to find out what happened and where it took off from
2018-1-15
Use props
ZarcTheSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 460676 ft
United States

craiglist ads for dones... so funny!
2018-1-15
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
United Kingdom

QuadBart Posted at 2018-1-15 15:29
If it was my drone, all someone would have to do is look at the SD card.  Inside my SD card I have a text file with my name, phone number, and FAA number not to mention a statement about a reward for its return.  Everyone should at least do that if not putting their phone number at a minimum on their drone

Great tip, thank you.

The simple ideas are often the best.
2018-1-16
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-1-15 19:34
How cool is this?!!!!
Kudos to the finder!!!

Another top tip, thank you  
2018-1-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'm sure DJI can locate the registered email address when they have the s/n
2018-1-16
Use props
rimza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Cheers Eliot.

Nothing rewards a good deed other than a good deed shall be rewarded to you.
2018-1-16
Use props
jimm00re
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

My brother in law lost his in Bend OR.  A city crew found it and using the video and photos on the card was able to identify the house it took off from and brought it back.  People can be cool.
2018-1-16
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

QuadBart Posted at 2018-1-15 15:29
If it was my drone, all someone would have to do is look at the SD card.  Inside my SD card I have a text file with my name, phone number, and FAA number not to mention a statement about a reward for its return.  Everyone should at least do that if not putting their phone number at a minimum on their drone

Definitely going to do this.
Great idea.  
2018-1-16
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

jimm00re Posted at 2018-1-16 08:09
My brother in law lost his in Bend OR.  A city crew found it and using the video and photos on the card was able to identify the house it took off from and brought it back.  People can be cool.

He should post the story.  How he lost it.  What happened from his view.  Then what happened as recorded by the drone.  Most of these stories end with compass errors, went to ATTI, flew away.  Then we find out it flew into a building is the real story.

2018-1-16
Use props
ZarcTheSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 460676 ft
United States

that is quite cool.
2018-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-16 07:38
I'm sure DJI can locate the registered email address when they have the s/n

Dji are bound by data privacy, so cannot give anyone’s information out.
2018-1-16
Use props
Madwand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

Nothing stops them (DJI) from contacting the owner.
2018-1-16
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Madwand Posted at 2018-1-16 10:45
Nothing stops then from contacting the owner.

You mean, DJI could send him a email.
That's not a bad idea
2018-1-16
Use props
eliot
lvl.1

United States

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.  I appreciate them.  I am quite surprised we haven't heard from the owner, we posted an ad on Craigslist and this forum.  If someone was looking you'd think they would be looking...unless they are non-english speaking.  I will checkout the sd card for clues and contact the manufacturer with the serial number.  I'm retired, so I have all kinds of time for this.  Kevin, I replied on Clist, thanks for checking.
E.
2018-1-16
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Netherlands

*Bump*

Hope you can find the owner. If not still very nice of you OP.
2018-1-16
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

What a great guy.
2018-1-16
Use props
djiuser_6RCbvN0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14386 ft
Australia

It might be djiuser_r7blFJc
2018-1-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-16 10:24
Dji are bound by data privacy, so cannot give anyone’s information out.

I know, and it is best that way.
Although sometimes it feels like something they 'should' do.
2018-1-16
Use props
eliot
lvl.1

United States

An update, and likely my last post unless I am contacted by the owner.  Called DJI left my number with the drone's serial number, they said they would pass along my # if someone reported that sn missing.
So, no proactivity on their part.  Called the only drone retailer in the area, the poorly named ''Drone Services Hawaii".  They should remove 'services' from the name.  Got a guy on the phone who cut me off before I I could finish the sentence, (I got "I found a dr...." out of my mouth before he stopped me).  The reply was, " can't help you", and end of conversation.
Removed SD card to see if I could read it.  It's a micro SD, don't have a device that will read it without an adapter, don't have one here with me.  Tried to connect with my computer through usb.  I have a micro USb to usb cable that should work, but I could not connect.  (macbook pro would recognize at all).  Tried to charge the battery using the same cable, no luck, would not charge.  Tried to power up device, but would not power up. (used the process described in the manual, press once, then hold down a second time).  Battery showed 1 light when I started.  Is there some sort of remote function that completely kills the device?
No more PM's from this message, and no positive responses on Clist.  I'm at a loss.  I'm not going to devote any more time to this, maybe you guys can bump it occasionally.  Thanks to all of you for your very positive messages, unfortunately not a happy ending so far.
2018-1-17
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

eliot Posted at 2018-1-17 10:04
An update, and likely my last post unless I am contacted by the owner.  Called DJI left my number with the drone's serial number, they said they would pass along my # if someone reported that sn missing.
So, no proactivity on their part.  Called the only drone retailer in the area, the poorly named ''Drone Services Hawaii".  They should remove 'services' from the name.  Got a guy on the phone who cut me off before I I could finish the sentence, (I got "I found a dr...." out of my mouth before he stopped me).  The reply was, " can't help you", and end of conversation.
Removed SD card to see if I could read it.  It's a micro SD, don't have a device that will read it without an adapter, don't have one here with me.  Tried to connect with my computer through usb.  I have a micro USb to usb cable that should work, but I could not connect.  (macbook pro would recognize at all).  Tried to charge the battery using the same cable, no luck, would not charge.  Tried to power up device, but would not power up. (used the process described in the manual, press once, then hold down a second time).  Battery showed 1 light when I started.  Is there some sort of remote function that completely kills the device?

You need I think at least 1.5A charger to charge the battery via the USB cord, so if you have a tablet or ipad charger laying around, that would work.  You should be able to read the SD card off of the spark if you can get it powered up.  If the battery gives you the charge status when you press the button once, it should power up using the procedure you described.  Was the one light solid or flashing?  If you have a regular SD card reader and just need the adapter, I can send you one if it helps.  
2018-1-17
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

eliot Posted at 2018-1-17 10:04
So, no proactivity on their part.  Called the only drone retailer in the area, the poorly named ''Drone Services Hawaii".  They should remove 'services' from the name.  Got a guy on the phone who cut me off before I I could finish the sentence, (I got "I found a dr...." out of my mouth before he stopped me).  The reply was, " can't help you", and end of conversation.
Removed SD card to see if I could read it.  It's a micro SD, don't have a device that will read it without an adapter, don't have one here with me.  Tried to connect with my computer through usb.  I have a micro USb to usb cable that should work, but I could not connect.  (macbook pro would recognize at all).  Tried to charge the battery using the same cable, no luck, would not charge.  Tried to power up device, but would not power up. (used the process described in the manual, press once, then hold down a second time).  Battery showed 1 light when I started.  Is there some sort of remote function that completely kills the device?

Great effort!
2018-1-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules