Well looks like ANDROID users will be kicked to the Curve
12Next >
2735 66 2018-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rjrolyn
lvl.2
United States

Well Amazon, Pizza Hut, and Tesla has all been mulling bids for the drone giant (DJI) How about a REFUND eh LOL..

In recent news from Las Vegas electronic show DJI has announced some new equipment and products. The sad part of the news was the part that DJI will be marketing these new items exclusively thru Apple retail stores to start. The marriage of Apple with DJI has revealed it's ugliness in full color. If we all thought that the problems we have been experiencing with our Android devices were glitches in programming, not so. If Apple gets their way with DJI, which we all know they will, our problems and deletion of features have only begun. It will not take long for Apple to make sure all DJI drones will be IOS only programming, bullies like Apple and DJI will make sure Android users will be pushed out and for the consumer, we definitely can forget about any customer service, as if there was any to start with, any problems with programming or lost features will be dealt with as usual, we are working on it. They have already proven that with the OTG connection, half a dozen updates since it didn't work and still not working. The stench of rotting apples is truly making its way into the drone business and it seems to be coming from the DJI headquarters.
2018-1-15
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

You make it sound like a horror story... you can not possibly know how the future will be unless you have insider knowledge and I do not think you have it.
2018-1-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eh, just buy a fruit.  I mean in all seriousness, the back of every box of DJI stuff has a certain fruit on it.  It's not like they're hiding their bias.
2018-1-15
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

DJI has too much to lose making it Apple only product.
2018-1-15
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i have been a bit worried about dji becoming apple exclusive  since i heard the possibility first suggested maybe a few months ago.
But very recently it appears other decent drones are making their way to market and i hope/trust that if or by the time android users are ditched by my home team, that there will exist  other good alternatives.
2018-1-15
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

last time I checked, my CrystalSky is running Android OS
2018-1-15
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You are missing the big picture here. Teaming up with Apple will never be something exclusive. Why? Androids market share is +80%. iOS about LESS THEN 20%!!! So they would abandon 80% of customers that might have a good device, to spend an extra 1000 for a phone? Think again... They will be shooting themselves in the foot.

2018-1-15
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-15 13:00
last time I checked, my CrystalSky is running Android OS

Knowing DJI, they'll just drop the CS and support for it, after all they can't even support it now with new releases of DJI Go 4
2018-1-15
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

It's time for Android users to step away from the dark side!
2018-1-15
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-15 12:53
i have been a bit worried about dji becoming apple exclusive  since i heard the possibility first suggested maybe a few months ago.
But very recently it appears other decent drones are making their way to market and i hope/trust that if or by the time android users are ditched by my home team, that there will exist  other good alternatives.

Based on DJI competitors' offerings on this year's CES show, one would most likely be flying DJI's clones.
2018-1-15
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-1-15 13:43
Knowing DJI, they'll just drop the CS and support for it, after all they can't even support it now with new releases of DJI Go 4

Yeah,  I feel for you with the overheating issue that you have with yours
2018-1-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don’t think they would abandon android users. Now myself I left android two years ago and never been happier.
2018-1-15
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very unlikely, the CrystalSky uses Android, recently introduced so very doubtful.
2018-1-15
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Maybe this is the big announcement on the 23rd and not a new drone???
2018-1-15
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

Mapple-pro?
2018-1-15
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

At least in Europe such practice would go against fair competence regulations and therefore would mean DJI products would be banned from European markets and DJI and Apple most likely being banned. I don't think that is going to happen to be honest, drone market is too big and if they start going full apples they'd lost their position.
2018-1-15
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-1-15 15:03
Very unlikely, the CrystalSky uses Android, recently introduced so very doubtful.

What prevents DJI  stopping all development on the android DJI Go 4 app and just focus on the IOS app ?

The android app works now, so android users can still use this version going forward, it's just that it will be static from a development perspective, no one using android would be any wiser.
2018-1-15
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

So umm, what platforms does Ground Station run on right now?
2018-1-15
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-1-15 19:53
What prevents DJI  stopping all development on the android DJI Go 4 app and just focus on the IOS app ?

The android app works now, so android users can still use this version going forward, it's just that it will be static from a development perspective, no one using android would be any wiser.

I get the impression that most Android users are sticking with or down grading to much older versions of the GO4 app anyway, where as most iOS users are updating and running the most current GO4 app, so what basket do you think DJI wants to put most of their eggs. And, I don't own nor know a lot about CS, but if it is a device made for DJI products, i would think that they would maintain software development and support for that device too.
2018-1-16
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the fragmentation of the android ecosystem doesn't help much. At least with apple its one OS. Android has so many variants its a developers nightmare. If they are using android for their crystal sky stuff, that's not so bad. At least they have control over the variant of android that's installed and only have to develop for that platform. I don't think they will go apple only but think support for android will be cut down to specific devices and OS variants.
2018-1-16
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

"Android has so many variants its a developers nightmare. "

100% agree!  I went into great detail about this on another forum, but there were a few "conspiracy theory" guys that didn't agree.
2018-1-16
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curb?.....
2018-1-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-1-15 12:29
DJI has too much to lose making it Apple only product.

Exactly, almost 88% of all smartphones sold in Q2 2017 were running on Android. So it would be a suicide to leave this market...
2018-1-16
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Locoman Posted at 2018-1-16 03:11
I get the impression that most Android users are sticking with or down grading to much older versions of the GO4 app anyway, where as most iOS users are updating and running the most current GO4 app, so what basket do you think DJI wants to put most of their eggs. And, I don't own nor know a lot about CS, but if it is a device made for DJI products, i would think that they would maintain software development and support for that device too.

Yes I understand what your saying, from a maturity perspective I think DJI Go 4 is nearly there, so DJI could get away with leaving it as is with the android platform and just focus all new functions on the IOS version.
I think the only thing left to develop is support for Intel Real Sense, but that would require a hardware upgrade, so that would probably come on the next generation drone
2018-1-16
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-16 04:15
Exactly, almost 88% of all smartphones sold in Q2 2017 were running on Android. So it would be a suicide to leave this market...

Yes , but when you think about it a lot of drone pilots go out of their way to get the best performing device for flying, as that is IOS many have purchased ipads and iphones.

It's a different sort of market that wants to stay on android, with DJI having dominant market share they could bias the outcome to one platform for flying.
From my pesonal perspective, having both android (CS) and ipads, the IOS version is hands down superior, while android version is less polished.
2018-1-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-1-16 04:05
I think the fragmentation of the android ecosystem doesn't help much. At least with apple its one OS. Android has so many variants its a developers nightmare. If they are using android for their crystal sky stuff, that's not so bad. At least they have control over the variant of android that's installed and only have to develop for that platform. I don't think they will go apple only but think support for android will be cut down to specific devices and OS variants.

It's not really all that different, iOS has versions just like Android does...
2018-1-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

lannes Posted at 2018-1-16 04:25
Yes , but when you think about it a lot of drone pilots go out of their way to get the best performing device for flying, as that is IOS many have purchased ipads and iphones.

It's a different sort of market that wants to stay on android, with DJI having dominant market share they could bias the outcome to one platform for flying

I don't think most people would go and buy a new phone or tablet just because it may be better for flying.
2018-1-16
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-16 04:25
It's not really all that different, iOS has versions just like Android does...

Android OS is currently running on over 24,000 different devices.  I would would imagine that IOS is running on less than 25

https://qz.com/472767/there-are- ... nt-android-devices/
2018-1-16
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-16 04:28
I don't think most people would go and buy a new phone or tablet just because it may be better for flying.

True...the average consumer, that probably doesn't frequent these forums is going to use whatever device he/she has available to fly with
2018-1-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-16 04:31
Android OS is currently running on over 24,000 different devices.  I would would imagine that IOS is running on less than 25

I see what you mean. But then it's not about developing for the Android platform, but about different manufacturers not providing support for their devices.
2018-1-16
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-16 04:36
I see what you mean. But then it's not about developing for the Android platform, but about different manufacturers not providing support for their devices.

Here's a screenshot from another forum where DJI Ken (when he worked for DJI) makes a comment in regards to Android

2018-1-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-16 04:40
Here's a screenshot from another forum where DJI Ken (when he worked for DJI) makes a comment in regards to Android

Well then the only solution i see would be to improve the specification to list proper requirements.
2018-1-16
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-16 04:45
Well then the only solution i see would be to improve the specification to list proper requirements.

Seems like the most logical approach.
2018-1-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-16 04:33
True...the average consumer, that probably doesn't frequent these forums is going to use whatever device he/she has available to fly with

Exactly, especially since as you have rightly noticed - DJI markets the Mavic, Spark etc. as consumer drones, not professional.
2018-1-16
Use props
Rjrolyn
lvl.2
United States

Well the only route i see for android users if or when apple does take over DJI is to only downgrade fw's but i wouldnt be surprise if apple makes a move and  tampers every single revison fw's frpom being downdraded. We all know how notorious apple can be when it comes to there products and when that happens thats when the hackers come in and overall it is what it is and will see how it pans out for android users
2018-1-16
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Well Crystal Sky is running Andoid, not iOS.
2018-1-16
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-1-16 04:28

Actually, a quick perusal of the forum will show that many have -- flying on a larger tablet display is often the reason cited, but also for stability/peace of mind. Of course, not everyone has the funds to do so, some have philosophical reasons for sticking to their platform of choice, others just want something that works.
2018-1-16
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Resistance is futile.  ;)
2018-1-16
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-16 04:10
"Android has so many variants its a developers nightmare. "

100% agree!  I went into great detail about this on another forum, but there were a few "conspiracy theory" guys that didn't agree.

Ooooh I do like a good conspiracy theory....

Android bugs are all intentional ..??
DJI are going to buy Apple..??
NSA have infiltrated Open Source groups..??
Elvis is living in a CIA Moonbase
2018-1-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-1-16 13:47
Ooooh I do like a good conspiracy theory....

Android bugs are all intentional ..??

Shut up! Don't spoil it!
2018-1-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules